Keep losing connection with Denon AVR

Exactly the same situation with NR-1508. Contacted Marantz support, still waiting for the solution. For me just unplug and replug solves this for some days. Will maybe connect the ampli to the same z-wave plug I connected the subwoofer and run an automated power cycle.

offtopic question: why to you have your subwoofer on a z-wave plug? Generally these automatically turn themselves off when they havenā€™t had anything to do for some time (and turn themselves on when they do get a signal).

Have an old Magnat subwoofer, it auto switch off, but still use some Watts in standby mode.

1 Like

After Denon support got back to me a few days ago, requesting logfiles from the Heos app as the problem occurs, I have replied:

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the follow up. In the meantime I have restored the firmware to stock, according to the online Denon manual. This solves the problem for now. I donā€™t want to go back to the new firmware as this is quite a bit of work + the exact time when the problem first occurred is difficult to determine; The Home Assistant log starts to fill up at some point, sometimes after 2 hours, sometimes after 10 hours, usually within 24 hours. These are reports from the Denon / Marantz API. There are many reports on denon integration broken Ā· Issue #43670 Ā· home-assistant/core Ā· GitHub with log files. Perhaps the Denon team can look into that.

This has been detected from the active open source Home Assistant community. Presumably there will be more users of the APIs and the apps experiencing such problems. Likely the problem is even reproducible by the Denon team with the use of the app.

If there is a fix or update for this or the problem is confirmed by Denon, please let me know. In the HA community they are happy to look forward to a possible fix: Keep losing connection with Denon AVR - #23 by quizzical

3 Likes

Great reply. Youā€™d think a Denon engineer would be able to setup a box with home assistant and get all logs they need. Itā€™s free software damnit :sweat_smile:

1 Like

ha! yes :smiley:
There is also plenty to go from, from the issue here and on Github Iā€™d say.

As some have reported, the latest firmware seems to be working at the moment without any errors. After rolling back to the 2019-or-so stock firmware resolving the connectivity issue, I accidentally clicked something in the Denon or Heos app that caused the firmware to update. Now Iā€™m back to the latest Denon firmware Version 6100-5242-2061-3085 but everything seems to be working. Iā€™ll report back if anything changes.

For now the latest firmware seems to hold fine.

He just could test the AVR DENON or Marantz app, because when HA component is not working, their app is also not working!

2 Likes

Yeah, just confirming that the Marantz and Denon apps are both dead for me as well. Hopefully that will get them fixing this sooner rather than later.

1 Like

Except if everyone starts calling the technical service of Marants/Denon, I donā€™t think so. When I called them I didnā€™t get the impression they were going to really fix it.

1 Like

Letā€™s open a petition online https://www.change.org/start-a-petition?lang=en-US

I reverted the firmware after saving the settings to a flash drive and then updated to the latest firmware and havenā€™t been having any issues. So far going strong for a week! Idk how long it will last

1 Like

For me, less than 10 days. Follow the process and reinstalled the latest firmware and now had to power cycle again. Contacted again Marantz after sales, no response. What an error changing my old Yamaha ampli!
I still donā€™t understand why HEOS app is working and not Marantz AVR app, they are both communicating by ip, no?

FYI, now 3 weeks after disabling IPV6 on my router, the Marantz amplifier keeps connected. A guy from Marantz support told me that it had the same issue and that workaround seems to be OK.

2 Likes

Anyone have confirmation as to whether disabling IPV6 on a router fixes the issue for Denon devices?

No, after 3 weeks still the same problemā€¦

Hi, itā€™s me. From the future. This is still an issue with my AVR-X1600H. Iā€™ve tried literally everything suggested in this thread with no success. Denon firmware is such a dumpster fire. Has anyone found success?

Btw, Denon deleted the page linked above but here are the instructions from the Way Back Machine for posterity:

Some users have experienced an issue with network connection after a recent update. Please use the procedure below to revert the AVRā€™s firmware back to the initial firmware version as this will allow your AVR to reconnect to the network and then receive the current firmware version once again. Please note, you will need to redo the setup for your AVR after the new firmware has been installed. We apologize for the inconvenience. We recommend saving your settings using the Save/Load option in the GUI (General ā€“ Save/Load) once the current update is complete. You will need a USB drive in order to do this.

Firmware Regression (Factory Restore) Procedure:

• Put the unit in Standby. (Zones powered off)
  • Press and hold the ā€œButton Aā€ and ā€œButton Bā€ buttons on the front panel.
  • While holding in the above buttons power on the unit.
  • You will see ā€œRestoring FWā€¦ā€ on the display. Once you see that, release the 2 buttons and give it about 10 minutes to complete.

Models: Button A/B Combo

DRA800H: ZONE 2 SOURCE & SPEAKER

AVR-S640H, AVR-S650H: INFO & SLEEP

AVR-S730H, AVR-S740H, AVR-S750H, AVR-S930H, AVR-S940H, AVR-S950H: BAND & MODE

AVR-X1400H, AVR-X1500H, AVR-X1600H, AVR-X2400H, AVR-X2500H, AVR-X2600H, AVR-X2700H, AVR-X3400H, AVR-X3500H, AVR-X3600H, AVR-X3700H: TUNER PRESET CH - & DIMMER

AVR-X4300H, AVR-X4400H, AVR-X4500H, AVR-X4700H, AVR-X6300H, AVR-X6400H, AVR-X6500H, AVR-X6700H, AVR-X8500H: SETUP & DIMMER

1 Like

So when the integration of my Denon AVC started behaving strangely, I turned on debug logging, and saw messages of a constantly dropping telnet connection, saying [denonavr.api] keep alive failed, disconnecting and reconnecting.

A little further digging confirmed the Heos App was working, while both the webui of the receiver itself, and the Denon AVR Remote App where just dead, no response at all.

When trying to change some settings on the Denon itself, I recognized the menu being slow and the AVC simply reverting recently changed settings. When applying changes in the webui, it kept saying failed to set config (error: internal server error).

The receiver has been working fine for months now, this whole thing just basically started out of nowhere. But are you really saying that under the bottom line, all of this mess is caused by a firmware issue? If yes, then how can Denon produce such buggy software and just ignore the problems? I mean, their own apps are affected by this!

Is the only permanent solution a firmware downgrade + reset and then stopping automatic updates?

My receiver just says falied setup try again. I donā€™t know why?

Power cycles donā€™t work for me :frowning: