KNX Climate HVAC Success

I wanted to share a working configuration as I see so many people have struggled in the past with this.

My rooms mostly have a Gira Push button sensor 3 Plus with a built in heating controller and my underfloor heating valves are connected to Theben HMT 12 heating actuators that does not have a heating controller built in. (Later version of the Theben do have a heating controller). I also have a Gira 16 way relay with outputs to trigger the heating on for upstairs or downstairs when there is demand.

I spent some time configuring the system and this is the best compromise I have found for working with HA.

I used ETS5 to create the building, floors and the rooms. In each room I then created ETS functions for the lights, switchable items and crucially the heating (continuous variable)

The heating function creates the following group address as standard

To which I add

I configure HA as follows

climate:
  - name: Bedroom 5 Floor Heating
    temperature_address: 0/5/25
    target_temperature_state_address: 0/5/26
    command_value_state_address: 0/5/27
    operation_mode_address: 0/5/28
    operation_mode_state_address: 0/5/30
    active_state_address: 0/5/36
    setpoint_shift_address: 0/5/31
    setpoint_shift_state_address: 0/5/32
    on_off_address: 0/5/37
    on_off_state_address: 0/5/37
    on_off_invert: true
    temperature_step: 0.5
    min_temp: 15.0
    max_temp: 24.0

As a result I get a working widget in the dashboard that looks like this

and here it is when it is not heating

I can monitor the temperature, change the mode, change the temperature in any mode (mine are relative so if I add a degree in any mode it adds a degree to all of them) and enable and disable the controller, (disabling sets the output of the controller to zero and turns off the heating)

The only things I have been unable to do using the standard climate configuration (but can do by adding additional automation).

1. I can not make the burning icon in the widget show if heating is happening or not in that room. It actually shows if the controller is enabled, however the word Idle or Heating give this status
  2. Disabling the controller is interesting but if I was to go away I would not use it. I actually want to set the mode to Eco (maps to frost protection in KNX) and disable the timer so it does not reset the heating to comfort. I have separate group objects for this and a separate automation.

I have created channels for all my KNX devices that lets me drag and drop a channel on a function to make programming easier but that is very much out of the scope of this post.

The outcome is my Gira Push Button Sensor Plus looks like this in ETS

4 Likes

Helpfull posting, Scott. Thanx.

This is what I got working so far in my lab setup on Gira Tastsensor 3 pluss (Prod # 5142 00):

climate:
    - name: "Lab 3 Termostat"
      active_state_address: "4/1/5"
      temperature_address: "4/1/1"
      target_temperature_address: "4/1/2"
      target_temperature_state_address: "4/1/6"
         operation_mode_address: "4/1/3"
      operation_mode_state_address: "4/1/4"
      on_off_state_address: "4/1/5"
      min_temp: 7
      max_temp: 28

One minor bug that I struggle with, is that when I use the slidebar (clock) to adjust temperature it adds one degree upwards. Not that big a deal, but its somewhat enoying.

2023_01_22 KNX Lab 3 thermostat

Hi :wave:!
Maybe your actuator uses a setpoint_shift setup, or it has an internal deviation from a base temperature based on current mode. Latter wouldn’t be supported, former would need additional GAs.

Could someone please give some direction - I have this from my output which misses some values you have but includes others any idea how I would use this? REALLY Apprecte any help:

Hello, can you turn on the thermostat by pressing the power icon?

In my case, to turn on I have to press the mode icon and to turn off I have to press the power icon.

Thank you.