KNX Covers without position_address

Hi everyone,

I recently added my KNX network to HA (rollershutters only) and they work quite well.
The configuration is pretty much the same for all covers:

- name: "Rollladen Kind"
    device_class: shutter
    move_long_address: "2/0/1"
    stop_address: "2/0/4"
    travelling_time_down: 18 # checked
    travelling_time_up: 22 # checked

So, I don’t have a position_address, but travelling time only.
Usually the covers are open, so after a restart (and unknown postion), I send an UP command to all covers. So far so good.

However, the previous owner (builder) of the house (from 2007) obviously wanted to safe money, so there are just dumb switches for up / down locally at the rollershutters.
That means, that the state of the HA covers might be out of sync with reality, if someone has moved the covers manually.

In order to get the state synchronized again, an UP command would do the job in the morning.
Unfortunately the cover “thinks” it’s OPEN (UP), so there is no option to press the UP button, because it’s inactive (grey).

Is there any option to force an UP / DOWN command as a workaround?
Any other suggestions are very appreciated as well.

NCO

You can do either a service call from an automation that has a fixed time as trigger.

action:
  - service: cover.open_cover
    data: {}
    target:
      entity_id: cover.whateveryoursiscalled

Or directly to the KNX group in the automation:

action:
  - service: knx.send
    data:
      address: "2/0/1"
      payload: 1

Thank you for the quick help.
I will play around with these options and report back.
:smiley:

EDIT:

This will send the cover down (I needed to change it to 0)
However, if I use a button to trigger knx.send UP like this, it is still ignored if the cover is e.g at 70%, but HA assumes it is fully up.

The same with cover.open_cover

Basically it seems that whenver HA “thinks” the cover is fully up, there is no way to force a UP command with these two services. They seem to be ignored (can be seen on the KNX BUS viewer though).

Basically it seems that whenver HA “thinks” the cover is fully up, there is no way to force a UP command with these two services. They seem to be ignored (can be seen on the KNX BUS viewer though).

That has nothing todo with HA tho. This is your KNX component that might not react, that command will just send a value to that group 2/0/1 HA does not know what that is or cares, you can check the group monitor and you will see a 0 send to that address, its up to the actor to react to that.

Hmmm…
Thank you. That makes sense.
And yes, you are right - I see the telegrams in the group monitor.
So I guess there is no way, I could solve the issue unless I ask my family to use just Alexa to control the covers.
Which is not preferred considering the WAF. :wink:
Thank you for your help!

Are you able to program the KNX yourself using ETS? Then you could either change the parameters or use the emergency objects like rain/wind to force the actor to move up regardless where it thinks it is.

Yes, I could do that. I need to check in ETS the parameters.
I actually started from scratch with the KNX program, because I did not have the original knxproj-file.
I will give it a try.
Thank you for the hint!