KNX Dimmer support

A lot of the extra data items in the KNX spec are just bit values as is DPT 1.005. Have you tried just using a binary_sensor for this? e.g.

binary_sensor:
  - platform: knx
    name: onkyo_power
    address: 0/6/5

I attempted to add minimal dimmer support but I have no device, I can only simulate it to test. It’s not even close to enough testing for a PR submission.

Is someone interested in testing it on their device?

link to dev branch

light:
  - platform: knx
    name: 'knx light'
    address: 9/1/1
    state_address: 9/1/2
    brightness_address: 9/1/3
    dimmer_address: 9/1/4

where:

• address and state_address should (hopefully) be backwardly compatible
  • brightness_address is for reading the current device level
  • dimmer_address is for setting the target level

Note: The HA frontend and base light component uses 0 - 255 for brightness already so I didn’t put in a percentage conversion for DPT_Scaling

Hi.

I’ve installed the dev branch, and added the relevant lines to my config. I do not get any errors, but I cannot see, where I can dim the lights? It just shows as a normal lightswitch?

1 Like

Great! Thanks!

It just shows as a normal lightswitch?

That’s normal even for other lights. The extra controls only show up when you click the lightbulb icon.
If it’s working then that should bring up a more detailed widget with a slider that allows you to pick a brightness value.

I don’t get the slider. I just get the history of when the light has been on/off when I click the bulb.

kabelo and I have been looking at this together (Thanks again kabelo :slight_smile:) . Just as a summary for anyone else interested in looking at this:

1. If you want to install directly with pip then a reference to the correct branch at the end of the line is necessary:
    pip3 install --upgrade git+git://github.com/tiktok7/home-assistant.git@support-knx-dimmer
  2. The brightness slider works but the value read back from the brightness address isn’t the same as that sent to the dimmer.
  3. Homebridge reported similar deviations in brightness values
  4. Siri refused to recognise that the brightness feature was present.
1 Like

I’d just like to add my vote for integrating dimmer support into the main branch. I’m running hass.io so pulling a specific branch is not that appetising.

Hi, I like to say I love the KNX support in HA.
Until now I only used the switch function.

But I like to use the Dim function too, but I have some trouble with it.

Here is part of the config and the Hardware I use:

Home Assistent 0.58.1 - Hassbian - Python 3.5.3

# Jung IPS 100 REG
knx:

light:
#JUNG 2316.16 REG HE switch

• platform: knx
    name: Hal voordeur
    address: ‘0/0/1’ —>Works
    state_address: ‘4/0/1’ —> Works

#JUNG 2193 REG Dimmer

name: Voorkamer spots
    address: ‘0/0/2’ —> Works
    brightness_address: ‘0/1/4’ —> Does not Work
    state_address: ‘4/0/2’ —> Works
    brightness_state_address: ‘4/1/4’ —> Does not work

#JUNG 3804 REGHE Dimmer

name: Keuken Nomad
    address: ‘0/0/18’ —> Works
    brightness_address: ‘0/1/3’ —> does not work
    state_address: ‘4/0/18’ —> Works
    brightness_state_address: ‘4/1/3’ —> Works

Log output:

Blockquote
2017-11-25 12:43:38 WARNING (MainThread) [xknx.log] Could not read value of <Light name=“Hal voordeur” switch=“//None/None” /> 4/0/1
2017-11-25 12:43:39 WARNING (MainThread) [xknx.log] Could not read value of <Light name=“Voorkamer spots” switch=“//None/None” group_address_brightness=“” group_address_brightness_state=“” brightness=“0” /> 4/0/2
2017-11-25 12:43:40 WARNING (MainThread) [xknx.log] Could not read value of <Light name=“Voorkamer spots” switch=“//None/None” group_address_brightness=“” group_address_brightness_state=“” brightness=“0” /> 4/1/4
2017-11-25 12:43:41 WARNING (MainThread) [xknx.log] Could not read value of <Light name=“Keuken Nomad” switch=“//None/None” group_address_brightness=“” group_address_brightness_state=“” brightness=“0” /> 4/0/18
2017-11-25 12:43:42 WARNING (MainThread) [xknx.log] Could not read value of <Light name=“Keuken Nomad” switch=“//None/None” group_address_brightness=“” group_address_brightness_state=“” brightness=“0” /> 4/1/3

Any updates on dimming KNX-lights with HA? I can’t seem to get it to work.

Should be working already?

what exactly is your error?

Thank you for the fast answer.
I think I figured out the problem is not HA but KNX related.
I don’t have a brightness_state_address configured, any tips on how to configure ETS are welcome. I will also try to figure out a solution myself :slight_smile:.

unfortunately I dont have access to my installation right now, so I cant check my settings…

maybe try activating “send dimming value after change”.

Chapter 4.6.2 of the MDT manual. https://www.mdt.de/download/MDT_TM_Dimming_Actuator.pdf

Edit: Manual actually says about this setting: activates the status object for the
dimming process

I was able to activate the state dim value and HA is sending values to the groupadresses. Dark grey is my HA.
image The light (Dim actuator) only doesn’t pick up these values and won’t change the appearance. It definitely is a KNX-ETS issue. In some way I can’t find the right combination for address,brightness_address,brightness_state_address,state_address.
My former KNX-programmer programmed everything to dim relatively, but for HA it has to be absolutely.

Maybe with some ETS - HA examples I can figure it out.

I have in my HA config:

name: Schlafzimmer
    address: ‘1/0/5’
    state_address: ‘1/1/5’
    brightness_address: ‘1/3/5’
    brightness_state_address: ‘1/4/5’

The 1/3/5 is the “dimmen absolut”.
<GroupAddress Name=“Licht Decke Schlafzimmer OG 68 dimmen absolut” Address=“1/3/5” DPTs=“DPST-5-1” />
Working as expected.

Screenshot from the ETS I can maybe provide during/after the weekend. I have the same MDT actor.

1 Like

Thanks for your effort moe.
I think I was able to find the right addresses, with the information you gave me.
However the KNX bus still doesn’t pick up the single.
I made a little movie of the problem, when you have time will you be so kind to compare the settings since you have the same actor? https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cqeI370z1k

Problem solved, found the right configuration for my installation! Thanks community :slight_smile:

name: Living Rechts
    address: ‘1/1/10’
    brightness_address: ‘1/5/10’
    brightness_state_address: ‘1/3/10’
    state_address: ‘1/4/10’

Good to hear! :slight_smile:

Hello, I’m here for the first time.
Maybe someone could help me too with my problem?
(I know, this thread is kinda old, but right topic for me)

I own two KNX Dimmer Lingg&Janke 4fach 570W universal.
I’m unable to set dimming level or read status by HA. (KNX hardware button working well. Short On/Off, long Dimming Up/Down).

My HA KNX configuration depends on this ETS configuration:

I’ve adapted this config in HA:

[Second Printscreen in separate post]

Can anybody telling me, what i’m doing wrong?

kind regards,
sam

HA KNX configuration:

brightness_address expects a DPT5 (1byte percent) address - 2/3/5 in your case.

To read the states the Read-Flag has to be set on your output-status addresses (the ones you configured to *_state_address). Otherwise the entity will remain in undefined state until the first telegram is received.

2 Likes