KNX Events are not well received

Hi all,

I recently changed from openHAB to home assistant. Thanks to this forum I already solved a lot of (beginner’s) troubles - thanks for that!
Now, as KNX basics are working (bidirectionally!) I started to explore the HA’s automation capabilities. Unfortunately I do not receive any KNX events, which should serve as triggers.

What I did:
My knx.yaml file (that is linked to the configuration.yaml file of course) is defining the event I’m looking for:

event:
    - address:
      - "276"  #Zigbee Stripe

Also, I can see in the KNX tab’s group monitor the event I’m looking for and I can confirm the group address is visible (in another representation, but 0/1/20 should be the same as 276).

Anyway, when I use the developer tool to subscripe for an event I do not get any message. I pasted knx_event and pressed the button start listening but nothing happens although I trigger the event on KNX bus. I assume there’s something faulty in my config to allow events in general?

What’s wrong in my handlings?

Hi :wave:!
Did you reload the KNX Integration after changing your yaml?
Group monitor is not based on events - it’s a different system, but it’s good that you see the GA there.

Whenever I modify the YAML files I first use the config checker button and then I restart home assistant. Is there something else to be done?

There’s nothing else to do.

Have you tried without the quotes? Or using "0/1/20"?

Mmh, I thought yesterday night I tried the other representation of the states. Now it works.

However, it seems weird. In the entire KNX file I was allowed to use the single GA notation. But for event registration and the reference in automations it seems you’re obliged to use the three level GA notation. I would expect the binding to consistently support both notations.

If someone knows how to calculate from one GA notation to the other and vice versa, this would help as well ;).

But my original problem is now solved. Thank you @farmio.

I though this was possible everywhere… but since hardly anyone uses something other than 3-level that is not well tested. Might be a string-compare in there somewhere. I’ll have a look if I find some time.

If you know some python, you can use xknx from a python repl.

from xknx.telegram import GroupAddress

GroupAddress("3/0/3").raw
# -> 6147

GroupAddress(123)
# -> GroupAddress("0/0/123")
1 Like