KNX Time not being sent to bus

I have HA setup and can communicate with my KNX Bus via HA. I have a few lights, scenes, and shutters configured and it all works as expected. I have the time exposed in my HA knx configuration but it never gets sent to the bus and I don’t see any attempt in the HA knx debug log either. I have MDT Glass Push Buttons II Smart controllers in each room and I can send the time to all of them from ETS, but they all drift eventually and I want them to be automatically updated.

Here is my xkxn.yaml file based on the knx integration docs

tunneling:
  host: 'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx'
  port: 3671
  local_ip: 'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx'
expose:
  - type: 'time'
    address: '0/5/4'

What am I missing?

That’s odd. It should send the time at startup and once an hour. Have you tried the “datetime” option?

Thanks for the reply, but no change with datetime DPT. I also have a few automatons that seem to be running just fine to toggle things like the Day/Night switch on the bus. I don’t see any debug log entries with the time GA, so I really don’t even know where to start looking.

I have just tried it and it works on my machine. Some seconds after starting HA I found
2020-01-11 11:07:50 DEBUG (MainThread) [xknx.telegram] <Telegram group_address="GroupAddress("0/6/10")", payload="<DPTArray value="[0xcb,0x7,0x32]" />" telegramtype="TelegramType.GROUP_WRITE" direction="TelegramDirection.OUTGOING" />
in my logs.

This was my test configuration. I used the xknx custom component but that should be on the same state as current knx component but for some reason the normal wouldn’t load on my dev machine.

logger:
  default: info
  logs:
    xknx: debug
xknx:
  expose:
    - type: 'time'
      address: '0/6/10'

Yeah I just noticed that the knx interface discovery process was running at startup even though I had the interface defined in my xknx.yaml config. I moved my knx settings described above to configuration.yaml and time was successfully published after a restart. So I guess my problem is with the path to my xknx.yaml file, which is in the config directory. I get this message at startup

DEBUG (MainThread) [xknx.log] Reading /config/xknx.yaml

so it seems to find it but doesn’t apply it for some reason and then just starts the discovery process and doesn’t expose the time to the bus.

You didn’t mention you were using xknx.yaml configuration file. This needs completely different syntax.
I’m not sure devices (time exposure is a device itself for xknx) can be configured on both places simultaniously.

Yeah I was under the impression that worked like the other external files for lights, switches, etc. I am just getting started with HA, so I apologize for the wasted time.

Since you said the syntax is different for the external file, does that mean it uses the syntax from https://xknx.io/?

Yes exactly. You can use the integration from external files like lights.yaml that are included in the configuraiton.yaml. Its just the file you define in the knx: config_file parameter that is treated differently. This is forwarded to the integrations knx implementation that is xknx which has a different syntax for stand alone usage.