Kogan Smart Kettle

I didn’t have much luck trying to capture the console messages for each button. I’m not really worried about it to be honest but I will probably try to figure it out at some point just so the config is complete.

Cheers for your help

1 Like

Hi @sparkydave,

I just opened mine up last night - found the WR1 chip - and then found this post.

I had some luck controlling the kettle via LocalTuya, and this is what i was able to determine in terms of DP mappings:

1 - Power [true/false]
2 - Temperature Sensor [0 to 100]
8 - Target Temperature [0 to 100]
13 - Keep Warm function [true/false]
14 - Keep Warm Time (Mins) - [0-360]
15 - Status
16 - Boil mode [temp_setting/boiling_quick] (i.e. temp_setting = normal mode, boiling_quick = boil, then cool to target temperature)

I’m sure i had some more detail on the other DPs… but for the life of me I can’t find my notes.

Do you have any details about how you approached the WR1 → ESP chip replacement (I.e. what wires had to be shorted)?

1 Like

Thanks for the DP mappings. Any idea what payloads need to be sent for the function controls?

For the chip swap I simply wired the ESP12F to my USB-UART:
RX-TX
TX-RX
Vcc-3.3V
GND-GND

then on the chip:
GPIO15-GND
GPIO0-GND
EN-Vcc

Once I loaded Tasmota onto the ESP I removed the GPIO-GND connection and left the EN and GPIO15 connections. I wired the TX and RX of the ESP to the same points that the WR1 had it’s TX and RX on the PCB. Since the pinout is not the same (nor the same size chip) as the WR1 I simply used short wires between the chip and PCB. It wasn’t pretty so I dind’t take any photos. I wrapped a bit of plastic around the ESP so it couldn’t short out on anything as the whole thing was reassembled.

Not 100% sure on the DP16 modes - On the original tuya chip, you sent a strin, but i’m guessing it got mapped to an enumeration. Still trying to reverse engineer it. So far have temp control + keep warm. That boil mode is the last main part of the puzzle. Also trying to figure out what DP15 and the other ones mean.

Thanks for the tips re the wiring - i had mine all ready to go, but missed the EN-VCC and the GPIO15-GND connections. After i re-read your post and fixed it it all went smoothly.

Those WR1 addon boards are just VCC, GND, TX and RX connections to the main PCB.

You can easily replace them with a NodeMCU, Wemos D1 mini or ESP-15F board without any soldering. Perhaps just some wire cutting and twisting to attach dupont cables.

Have you gotten any of these to actually display anything?

Only ones I ever get working are Power and Temperature (which should be 5)

mine was early enough to have a TYWE3S in it, but yes - my notes here if it helps: Kogan Smart Glass Kettle 1.7L and Tasmota – zorruno.com

2 Likes

Before you gone down the transplant path…

It might be worth looking if you can flash it. There was an alternate for the WB chips, although I am not seeing wr listed.

I thought this was working on wb chips also

It’s sort of dug out of this post…

I’m not sure the esp-15f will work as it’s a 5v operating voltage whereas the wr1 is 3.3v?

Thank you - I’m mostly committed to swapping it out as much for learning as anything else

No ESP is operating at 5V, you’re confusing the fact that the ESP-15 can be powered with 5v due to a built in voltage regulator

You can use a D1 or NodeMCU or basically any other module or development board

1 Like

I deleted this because I think I got the connections wrong so as not to confuse anyone else.

I tried that, and it didn’t seem to work, looking around at what people do with switches I ended up with something else that didn’t work either… Looking for a little guidance.

Just wanted to share my tasmota rule for sending the temp to HA.

Paste the rule into the tasmota console, then rule3 1 to enable the rule.

rule3 on tuyareceived#dptype2id5 do publish %topic%/temp %value% endon

rule3 1

Then in your home assistant config.yaml

sensor:
    unique_id: kettle.temp
    name: kettle_temp
    state_topic: "kettle/temp"
    unit_of_measurement: '℃'  

You can do it like this to get it to show up in tasmota integration. You will need to exchange the mac address.

#  rule1 ON TuyaReceived#DpType2Id5 DO backlog var1 %value%; Publish2 tasmota/discovery/ECFABC7AD1D2/sensors {"sn":{"Time":"%TIMESTAMP%","Kettle":{"Temperature":%value%},"TempUnit":"C"},"ver":1} ENDON

#  rule2 ON TuyaReceived#DpType2Id5 DO backlog var1 %value%; Publish2 tele/kettle/SENSOR {"Time":"%TIMESTAMP%","Kettle":{"Temperature":%value%},"TempUnit":"C"} ENDON
#
#  mqtt config > Topic = kettle

@sparkydave would you mind sharing how you did this? I have the exact same kettle and I just destroyed the WR1 modle while trying libretiny

Thanks

Sure. After struggling for ages to get the base station apart (it requires releasing a heap of separate tabs all at once) you get to a main circuit board which has the WR1 soldered to it. You need to carefully de-solder the WR1 from the main board and then use small wires to patch the required pins to those of the ESP12F since they aren’t the same physical size / pinout. Unfortunately I don’t think I took any photos of it during the process but I’ll have a look through my phone to see if there are any.

Before soldering the ESP12F into place however it’s best to flash Tasmota to it so it’s ready to go once installed.

Found 2 photos…

Unfortunately I don’t have a photo of the final product

Thanks for the reply,
Yeah, they’re bit of a pain to disassemble. I removed the WR1 module and I was trying o read the flash using libretiny but I dropped the board ripping the pad from the tx2 connector to the WR1. So, did you remove the module using a soldering iron or a hot air gun?

Noz

I just used a soldering iron from memory. Don’t worry about trying to read the original chip, you don’t need it.

Flash Tasmota on the ESP12F and wire it up as per my earlier post.

I’ve ordered a couple of ESP12F’s and I’ll report back when they arrive.
Thanks again :slight_smile: