Kogan Smart Kettle

Before you gone down the transplant path…

It might be worth looking if you can flash it. There was an alternate for the WB chips, although I am not seeing wr listed.

I thought this was working on wb chips also

It’s sort of dug out of this post…

I’m not sure the esp-15f will work as it’s a 5v operating voltage whereas the wr1 is 3.3v?

Thank you - I’m mostly committed to swapping it out as much for learning as anything else

No ESP is operating at 5V, you’re confusing the fact that the ESP-15 can be powered with 5v due to a built in voltage regulator

You can use a D1 or NodeMCU or basically any other module or development board

1 Like

I deleted this because I think I got the connections wrong so as not to confuse anyone else.

I tried that, and it didn’t seem to work, looking around at what people do with switches I ended up with something else that didn’t work either… Looking for a little guidance.

Just wanted to share my tasmota rule for sending the temp to HA.

Paste the rule into the tasmota console, then rule3 1 to enable the rule.

rule3 on tuyareceived#dptype2id5 do publish %topic%/temp %value% endon

rule3 1

Then in your home assistant config.yaml

sensor:
    unique_id: kettle.temp
    name: kettle_temp
    state_topic: "kettle/temp"
    unit_of_measurement: '℃'  

You can do it like this to get it to show up in tasmota integration. You will need to exchange the mac address.

#  rule1 ON TuyaReceived#DpType2Id5 DO backlog var1 %value%; Publish2 tasmota/discovery/ECFABC7AD1D2/sensors {"sn":{"Time":"%TIMESTAMP%","Kettle":{"Temperature":%value%},"TempUnit":"C"},"ver":1} ENDON

#  rule2 ON TuyaReceived#DpType2Id5 DO backlog var1 %value%; Publish2 tele/kettle/SENSOR {"Time":"%TIMESTAMP%","Kettle":{"Temperature":%value%},"TempUnit":"C"} ENDON
#
#  mqtt config > Topic = kettle

@sparkydave would you mind sharing how you did this? I have the exact same kettle and I just destroyed the WR1 modle while trying libretiny

Thanks

Sure. After struggling for ages to get the base station apart (it requires releasing a heap of separate tabs all at once) you get to a main circuit board which has the WR1 soldered to it. You need to carefully de-solder the WR1 from the main board and then use small wires to patch the required pins to those of the ESP12F since they aren’t the same physical size / pinout. Unfortunately I don’t think I took any photos of it during the process but I’ll have a look through my phone to see if there are any.

Before soldering the ESP12F into place however it’s best to flash Tasmota to it so it’s ready to go once installed.

Found 2 photos…

Unfortunately I don’t have a photo of the final product

Thanks for the reply,
Yeah, they’re bit of a pain to disassemble. I removed the WR1 module and I was trying o read the flash using libretiny but I dropped the board ripping the pad from the tx2 connector to the WR1. So, did you remove the module using a soldering iron or a hot air gun?

Noz

I just used a soldering iron from memory. Don’t worry about trying to read the original chip, you don’t need it.

Flash Tasmota on the ESP12F and wire it up as per my earlier post.

I’ve ordered a couple of ESP12F’s and I’ll report back when they arrive.
Thanks again :slight_smile: