Home Assistant Community

Latest and greatest thermostats? No cloud preferable. We all saw what happened with nest

I’ve been putting off getting a new thermostat (used to have a ct100 at old house and loved it). What is everyone using these days for direct control from HA? I don’t want to worry about cloud services going down/changing like what just happened to all the Nest Users but Also don’t want to pay $130+ for a zwave thermostat.

Maybe i just gotta stop being cheap and buy one.

1 Like

This is what Im using. Found one locally NIB for ~$40!

With zwave check if you have a C wire providing power to the thermostat. The interface with HA on battery wasn’t to my liking. If you have a modern furnace check if it supports a c-wire hookup. Mine did and just wasn’t used, a quick wiring adjustment and I had power to my thermostat.

Nest to turn off their API

The only decent option I found was radiothermstat (I use the wifi variant). I needed two (dual zoned) so I didn’t want anything to expensive. They work, but they aren’t that pretty and are slow to respond sometimes to remote access. I keep thinking I’m going to build my own controller on an ESP32 some day that can handle the advanced logic I’d like to see to coordinate between the dual zones and use a local MQTT API with tablets running HASS as the front end.

This makes a good thermostat.

https://cainetworks.com/products/webcontrol/index.html

HestiaPi Touch: An open source, smart thermostat for controlling HVAC and water systems.

1 Like

Have you used the HestiaPi? This looks like exactly what I am looking for. I use an OpenSprinkler irrigation system and I am looking for something similar.

Tado is great, and since 0.93 (or 0.92 if you had followed the special steps) it is possible to have them run locally through the homekit controller (NOT the Homekit component, they are different things, so you DON’T need an Apple device for this at all).

Works locally and via the cloud. Been using this since november, and they are great, easy to install and setup. Batteries last pretty long.

Here’s a DIY approach using esp8266 and mqtt. I use HA’s generic thermostat along with xiaomi temp sensors to control the zones in my house.

1 Like

Trane XR524 zwave

If considering DIY, it is great but for those in cold climate areas beware how you implement it…you don’t want your furnace to be off when you are out of town the temps are freezing and server goes down

1 Like

Exactly, it took me a few days of testing to fine tune mine until I was comfortable running it full time. Going on 2 years now. I left my existing “dumb” thermostats attached and just set them all to 60 as a fail safe. Don’t want to end up with frozen pipes!