Latest Supervisor wont start

I dont have HAOS to test with, but do you have any admin/sudo credentials? to run the commands described here: Latest Supervisor wont start - #45 by NEoKhajitt

If it’s only docker that needs to be upgraded, you don’t have to make any changes in any directory.

PS: and welcome to the HA community :slight_smile:

Another one dead at 5am, revived after docker upgrade. Thanks, all.

I’m running HAOS in vmware ESXi on an Intel NUC. Same issue as others - can’t get the supervisor to start. Looks like i’m running an older version of docker (19.x). How do I update the docker version when running HAOS?

1 Like

I was also facing a sudden issue on this topic as well.

I am running hassio on linux mint , and in /etc/os-release,
NAME=“Linux Mint”
VERSION=“18.3 (Sylvia)”
VERSION_CODENAME=sylvia
UBUNTU_CODENAME=xenial

and wasn’t able to update since it says v19 of docker is up to date.

Referring to,

got docker updated to 20.10.7 and supervisor is up again.

Thank you guys.
I was starting to think if my SSD disk is failing to function correctly.

1 Like

Had the same issue. Running hassos on proxmox but it doesn’t have apt to update docker. What worked for me was to change the supervisor version back to 2022.05.3. In the #installation channel on the discord there is a discussion about this but here are the commands that worked for me:

systemctl stop hassos-supervisor
docker pull homeassistant/amd64-hassio-supervisor:2022.05.3
docker tag homeassistant/amd64-hassio-supervisor:2022.05.3 homeassistant/amd64-hassio-supervisor:latest
rm /run/supervisor/startup-marker
systemctl start hassos-supervisor

if you do docker image ls | grep super you might find you already have the 2022.05.3 image so you can omit the pull command.

Once the supervisor started I was able to get in via the web UI and update the OS from there.

7 Likes

This is what worked for me:
docker pull ghcr.io/home-assistant/amd64-hassio-supervisor:2022.05.3 docker tag ghcr.io/home-assistant/amd64-hassio-supervisor:2022.05.3 ghcr.io/home-assistant/amd64-hassio-supervisor:latest rm /run/supervisor/startup-marker systemctl restart hassio-supervisor
I have hassio, not HassOS. And the systemd service looks for the ghcr.io repo

You can also firewall the system to block its attempts to auto upgrade.

The permanent solution was to upgrade Docker to 20.10.7
On an outdated ubuntu host, it required setting up the repo.

Same issue here!

Fantastic! It worked for me too. Cheers mate!

Is there a way to block / prevent Supervisor automatic updates? I am happy to keep my system up-to-date, but only when I am around to fix anything that breaks (and aware of what broke it)…

Nice thank you! Was down for the past few hours as I had to leave the house for a while. Came back and read through all these and got it back up and working within 5 minutes. Love home assistant and the community, even if I continue to use the pain in the butt setup haha

1 Like

Guys I have figured out I am running docker 19.03.13 on ubuntu 20.04.4 on a NUC-i3
I have figured out that I need to update docker but I don’t have the skills to know to do or what to make of sense of what is written in some of the suggestions.
@ Joeviocoe seems to have listed some instructions but I really don’t understand what I am doing so need some guidance to get back on the air.
Can someone give me some help as all my ZWave is off the air as it’s an addon on in supervisor.
Thank you

my house is back online because of you, thanks :beers:

Thanks a lot for getting my HA up and running again.

For those on raspbian buster…

I’ve just changed /etc/apt/sources.list.d/docker.list

from

deb [arch=armhf] https://download.docker.com/linux/raspbian buster edge

to

deb [arch=armhf] https://download.docker.com/linux/raspbian buster stable

Then I just updated docker and rebooted the host

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo reboot

Thank you all :slightly_smiling_face:

This worked! Thank you so much. For some reason in the UI, I couldn’t update the OS beyond version 5.13. I forced it to update to HAOS version 7.0 via the CLI and now the docker version is 20.10.9 and the latest supervisor runs!

Thanks a lot everyone. I thought too that my SSD or rpi was dying. Did some fsck with no errors, and was going to pull up some old backup to compare the init.py file of the supervisor since it is the last line in logs before crash. Then googled “”/usr/src/supervisor/supervisor/docker/init.py"" got here directly, apt update and upgrade, back on track !

Thanks to all the great community ! Happy to have my automations back ! :slight_smile:

PS: For info I am running docker on a personalized rpi install

There is an “intermediate” fix for the crash in Supervisor 2022.07.0, but docked should be updated to 20.10.0

I was also hit by this… Running HA Supervised on a old Lenovo Tiny system. Thought the SSD had died or something, but it passed all the tests I could run on it. But kept getting the same errors without changing anything. Didn’t find this thread last night.

Ended up wiping it and switching to HA OS. Restored my last backup and was good to go again.

1 Like

Also hit by this issue this morning. Running Supervised in Docker on Ubuntu. Panic ensued.

sudo apt-get install docker-ce docker-ce-cli containerd.io -y

per konradwalsh post above fixed this for me, after a reboot of host.

Armbian is just debian with with patches so OS runs on different arm boards. Armbian should be one of the supported platforms when doing testing.