šŸ”¹ Layout-card - Take control of where your cards end up

Has anyone here been able to set te colors in the cover card? I would like to use a different color as default color instead of the blue color. I just canā€™t seem to figure out how to do this. Tried it with the theme, but no luck so far.

EDIT ive figured most of this out (it was nested)

EDIT 2 LOL found it, under visibility :slight_smile:

One thing I would love to know, can I hide cards from the media query view?

/* Check if the screen size is at least 600px */
        @media only screen and (min-width: 600px) {
            .lg {
                display: block;
            }
        }[u]Text[/u]

I can see that it can be done in CSS, I just dont know how in yaml?

The layout card doco has only one reference to hiding a card

NOTE 2: The ā€œdefaultā€ layout option for layout-card (which youā€™ll see if youā€™re using the GUI lovelace editor) uses the default layout engine of lovelace. Itā€™s basically the same as the Horizontal layout, but without any options, without being able to hide cards and with the number of columns based on the width of the window rather than the layout-card.
I donā€™t recommend using it, but itā€™s there.

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone can tell me how Iā€™m screwing this up? LOL

My phone view is working how I think it should work.

But the tablet view does not make sense

title: "Home"
path: "home"
cards:
  - type: custom:layout-card
    layout_type: grid
    layout:
      #default
      grid-gap: 1px 1px
      grid-template-columns: 1fr 1fr 1fr 1fr 1fr 1fr
      grid-template-rows: auto
      grid-template-areas: |
        "  welcome      welcome      welcome      welcome      welcome      welcome      "
        "  devices1     devices2     devices3     .            .            .            "
        "  person1      person2      .            .            .            .            "
        "  navigation1  navigation2  navigation3  navigation4  navigation5  navigation6  "
        "  navigation7  navigation8  navigation9  .            .            .            "
        "  list1        list2        list3        .            .            .            "
        "  ble          .            .            .            .            .            "
      mediaquery:
        #phone
        "(max-width: 800px)":
          grid-template-columns: 1fr 1fr
            "  welcome      welcome      "
            "  devices1     devices2     "
            "  devices3     devices3     "            
            "  person1      person2       "
            "  navigation1  navigation2  "
            "  navigation3  navigation4  "
            "  navigation5  navigation6  "
            "  navigation7  navigation8  "
            "  navigation9  .            "            
            "  list1        list1        "
            "  list2        list2        "
            "  list3        list3        "                        
            "  ble          ble          "

Why is the tablet view all bunched up in the middle of the screen?

Why are the navigationx cards all different sizes, some are huge, but it only shows three (the other three are tiny dots)?

Every item here has its own

view_layout:
          grid-column: XXXX

Thanks!!!

Hi all, i have been asking this question over at the lovelace UI thread, but i figured it is most likely a layout-card question. hoping someone here can help me figure this out:

i am trying to do a layout that actually follows the placement of the rooms in the house (since it seemed the most logical way to do room cards). anyhow, i am confused on how to actually lay the cards out in yaml. this is what the layout of our top floor should look like:

Iā€™ve tried every combination of grid-template-columns and grid-template-rows but it seems that it is something related to the grid-template-areas. as soon as i repeat an area name, things go wonky. for example, this is replacing some areas with . This is the code (excuse all the comment lines as i was trying everything i could think of):

grid-gap: 2px 2px
      grid-template-columns: 1fr 1fr 1fr; 
#      grid-template-rows: 1fr 1fr 1fr; 
#      grid-template-columns: 33% 33% 33%
#      grid-template-columns: 33% 33% 33%; 
#      grid-template-rows: 33% 33% 33%; 
#      grid-template-columns: minmax(150px, 300px) minmax(150px, 300px) minmax(150px, 300px); 
#      grid-template-rows: minmax(100px, 200px) minmax(100px, 200px) minmax(100px, 200px); 
        "  office   .   kitchen  "
        "  bath     closet   .  "
        "  living   .   dining   "

and this is the result

Ok, so then i modify to span the column with this code (i just did office and not others):

grid-template-columns: 1fr 1fr 1fr; 
#      grid-template-columns: minmax(150px, 300px) minmax(150px, 300px) minmax(150px, 300px); 
#      grid-template-rows: minmax(100px, 200px) minmax(100px, 200px) minmax(100px, 200px); 
        "  office   office   kitchen  "
        "  bath     closet   .  "
        "  living   .   dining   "

and this is the result. the office block does span, but also expands the row. very strange. I must be missing one little thing to make them span correctly.

Try with the following:

" office  office kitchen "
" bath  closet  kitchen "
" living living dining "

Should work.

One thing I dont get, is why the cards are not consistent sizes.

Should they not all reduce to the same consistent size? Is this a bug, or something Iā€™m doing wrong?

type: custom:grid-layout
layout:
  #default
  grid-template-columns: 1fr 1fr 1fr 1fr 1fr 1fr
  justify-items: "left"
    "  clock        clock      welcome      welcome      welcome      welcome      "
    "  devices1     devices2     devices3     person1      person2      .            "
    "  nav1         nav2         nav3         nav4         nav5         nav6         "
    "  nav7         nav8         nav9         .            .            .            "
    "  list1        list1        list2        list2        list3        list3        "
    "  ble          .            .            .            .            .            "
  mediaquery:
    #phone
        "  nav1  nav2  "
        "  nav3  nav4  "
        "  nav5  nav6  "
        "  nav7  nav8  "
        "  nav9  .            "            

thanks, it does work, butā€¦ the room card has an aspect ratio defined in the card that makes it expand and cause the distortion. i posted about this in the other thread about the minimalist UI. Thanks for the assist!

1 Like

Yeah, having an aspect ratio defined in a card and using a grid to define layout donā€™t mix very well in my experience.

ok, another strange issue, the grid layout does not seem to honer the width component. again, forgive all the comments in the code

---
button_card_templates: !include_dir_merge_named "../../custom_components/ui_lovelace_minimalist/__ui_minimalist__/ulm_templates/"

views:
  - type: custom:grid-layout
    path: home
#    width: 80%; 
    width: 800px; 
  #    type: custom:layout-card
  #    layout_type: grid
    layout:
      #default
  #  display: grid; 
  #  grid-template-columns: 1fr 1fr 1fr; 
  #  grid-template-rows: 1fr 1fr 1fr; 
  #  gap: 1px 1px; 
  #  grid-template-areas: 
  #    "Office Office Kitchen"
  #    "Bath closet Kitchen"
  #    "Livingroom Livingroom dining"; 
  #      grid-template-columns: 1fr 1fr 1fr; 
  #      grid-template-columns: auto auto auto; 
  #      grid-template-rows: auto auto auto; 
      grid-template-columns: 300px 300px 300px; 
  #      grid-template-rows: 300px 300px 300px; 
        " head head head "
        " office . kitchen "
        " bath closet .  "
        " living . dining "
1 Like

so, in playing with it a bit more, it seems to honor the width component, but only if i specify columns in px. this actually yields the results i want, but none of the other grid-template-columns entries work, the grid just takes up the whole screen

layout:
      width: 1200px
#      grid-template-columns: 1fr 1fr 1fr 
#      grid-template-columns: minmax(150px, 400px) minmax(150px, 400px) minmax(150px, 400px); 
#      grid-template-columns: auto auto auto; 
      grid-template-columns: 400px 400px 400px 
        " office . kitchen "
        " bath closet .  "
        " living . dining "

Thatā€™s what itā€™s supposed to do when you use it as a view. If you want it to take up only a part of the space on your dashboard, you need to use the layout-card.

Is it possible to fix a grid component into view so that itā€™s always visible using the layout-card?

for example with the layout;

"header sidebar"
      "main main"
      "footer footer"

Is it possible to ā€˜pinā€™ the ā€œfooterā€ section so no it is always visible even when scrolled up to the top?

2 Likes

Ok, hope this helps someone in the future,

but using % fixed my issue of inconstant sizes turning this:

Into this

Code

type: custom:grid-layout
layout:
  #default
  grid-template-columns: 16% 16% 16% 16% 16% 16%
  justify-items: "left"
    "  clock        clock      welcome      welcome      welcome      welcome      "
    "  devices1     devices2     devices3     person1      person2      .            "
    "  nav1         nav2         nav3         nav4         nav5         nav6         "
    "  nav7         nav8         nav9         .            .            .            "
    "  list1        list1        list2        list2        list3        list3        "
  mediaquery:
    #phone
        "  nav1  nav2  "
        "  nav3  nav4  "
        "  nav5  nav6  "
        "  nav7  nav8  "
        "  nav9  .            "            
        "  clock        clock          "
6 Likes

Not sure i understand what you are saying. is what you are saying to do is something like this (sorry, kind of new to this frontend stuff):

cards:
      - type: 'custom:layout'
        #whatever grid info here?

- type: 'custom:button-card'
          #card details here 
          #card details here 
          #card details here 
          #card details here 

Not quite, but almost. If you check in the docs, thereā€™s a short section about custom:layout-card.

It would go something like:

cards:
      - type: 'custom:layout-card'
        #all grid info here

#card details here 
          #card details here 
          #card details here 
          #card details here 
1 Like

How would I set the columns based on the browser width? I think it would involve using media queries, but whatā€™s the right syntax?

How can I reduce the indentation between columns and rows, and around the card, and reduce the height of the row? Tried all possible options, no result.

1 Like

I am usually able to learn what I need over google, trial and error but I cant seem to grasp grid layout and controlling column width. here is an example of what I want. skinny first column and wide 2nd column. no help from discord, reddit or fb, except this screenshot. please help me with this

Loving this card, makes it so easy to place my card exactly where I want!
However, there is something that is baffles meā€¦

For my mobile dashboard Iā€™m ordering my cards vertically, and all the cards behave as youā€™d imagine - neatly stacked vertically. My last/bottom card is a map that shows the location of my phone. But, it only show the title (ā€œP6 locationā€), and not the map itself.

If I navigate to another app location (for ex. settings) and come back, the map shows upā€¦

This only happens on the mobile using the Android companion app, if I look at this dashboard on my laptop the map shows up correctly.

Edit: the same things happens on desktop too, if I set my mobile dashboard as default - the map doesnā€™t show up. Navigating to another area on the sidebar and going back to the dashboard makes the map show up.
What could be the issue?

Hi all, I belief it has been mentioned before but, I canā€™t seem to find an actual fix. Iā€™m using this card to create a 2 column wide screen (monitor is vertically mounted) but it seems that the History-graph is not updating anymore.

This may be too much to ask, but is there a way to achieve all of the below in one layout without modyfing the cards themselves?

• Two columns
  • Stretch cards to column width
  • Limit card height to x % of screen resolution

I tried using width and max_cols but widthis also applied to my mobile view and then messes everything up. Plus the height of the cards was not adjusted in any way, so the cards were scaled proportionally.
While I do want the font to remain proportional, I would like to keep the rest of the card limited in height.
This is primarily because I have different kinds of charts of which I cannot adjust the chart height.