LD2410 esphome tips

I got it working with the serial adapter with the jumper on the 5 volt setting. Also got it working, connected to a nodemcu esp8266 board and a separated 5v power supply.
Feeding the LD2410 with 5 volt and connect the serial pins to the 3.3 volt gpios got me worried but it is working like a charm.

1 Like

I think the same, but the ESP8266 is not 5V tolerant, might work for a while and suddenly say Bye Bye… I’m thinking to make a board and print it with some online service, in that case i could use 2 BSS138 on both RX-TX.
Digital output from LD at 3.3V, as you say works like a charm, I’ll mount on my dining room for testing. I’m only bothered just cause when my cat meaoww the sensor triggers… :smiley:

I believe LD2410’s TX and RX are also 3.3V (think I’ve read it somewhere) that’s why I’ve connected them to the ESP8266 GPIOs.

Yes! UART 3.3V
Check the reviews,

https://a.aliexpress.com/_Ez1VQE5

1 Like

I just received some LD2410B sensors and tried the Android app for setup. App works fine, sensor found, graph works, all values etc. only one problem, all setting elements and others are Chinese characters.
Is there an English language version somewhere?

This is the link to the English Android app that HiLink posted on their AliExpress listing for the LD2410B: HLKRadarTool

The page is mostly Chinese, but the app is English. At least, it was when I gave it a try.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll try it. The app I have is in Chinese, I made screenshots and translated it into my language, which will probably be enough, there is not much that cannot be remembered. Just one question: there is a factory reset button in the app which, according to the warning, disconnects the sensor from BT and has to be turned on again, and a button to restart the module which I hope just restarts the module without disconnecting it from BT?
I have a red dot under the fw version item (can be upgraded), is this an upgrade of the sensor itself?

Just for info. Tried in the app the restart button actually restarts the sensor itself without turning off BT.
I also tried upgrading the sensor, but the problem there is that everything goes fine and at the end it displays information (reconnect the sensor). After connecting I still see the original fw version. I’ve tried unplugging the sensor from power, rebooting, but that doesn’t help. Does anyone know if there is anything else that needs to be done?

I made it work with Espresense using the output pin as a pull-up radar under GPIO Sensors configuration and it’s pretty damm reliable, however the detection distance is just 4 meters instead of 6 ¿Any experiences with this?? I had to adjust sensitivity to Ranges 0 and 1 to 20, otherwise it was never low in my tests.

I was able to make it work using GitHub - rain931215/ESPHome-LD2410: ESPHome LD2410 mmWave Radar Sensor Custom Component

However, I had first to flash the d1 mini and then connect the sensor, for some reason I was not able to get into flashing mode with it connected

1 Like

BTW, this sensor doesn’t work as a replacement for the DFRobot mmwave, if you don’t move it will turn off

I don’t use the sensor as a sleep monitor. I use it to monitor the kitchen and if I’m sitting at the table and can read without moving it works very reliably. I also use the LD1115H sensor, which works just as reliably in another room. It is 100% reliable for my purposes so far.

1 Like

I might take partially back my own words haha, I’ve been playing with the max distance values and seems way better now… still not at the level of the dfrobot but hey, it’s WAY cheaper too!

Yes, you have to play around with the settings. The horizontal and vertical settings are also important if you have it in the corner of the room on the wall like I do.
I consider it the best occupancy sensor considering the price and usability. Of course, it will probably never match a sensor at 10x the price, but it works for my purposes.

What configuration are you using btw? I’m not seeing sensitivity settings, only max distance. I’m using this repo GitHub - rain931215/ESPHome-LD2410: ESPHome LD2410 mmWave Radar Sensor Custom Component

As I wrote above, I use LD2410B sensors and set them using an app on my phone via Bluetooth.
All parameters such as movement distance, sensitivities for each zone separately, number of zones and transition time from on to off can be set.
I have the esp module set as a simple binary sensor only.

what’s the name of the app?

The app is called HLKRadar. There was also a download link in some thread, but I don’t know exactly where.

thanks for all the info ! i was wondering if you guys have issues containing the detection to one room ? i tried the RCWL-0516 before but unfortunatly it covered 3 rooms since it’s 360 degrees and through walls, i’m planning to install this in my wall light switches since they already have esp8266s in them, do you think i will have trouble with it detecting neighbours and people in the next room ? can this be fixed with the module sensetivity config ? also how are the false positives and reliability on this module ? does it detect movement or presence with the heaters on ? i know it’s an issue on quite a few pir sensors, thanks !

I placed the LD2410B sensor in the corner of the kitchen at a height of 2.2m and with a vertical tilt of about 20°. The kitchen (one entrance) 4x3m is adjacent to the living room, bathroom and bedroom. The detection is recorded only in the kitchen at the level of the entrance to the kitchen immediately. When leaving the room, it takes an evaluation of the switched-off state according to the settings (here approx. 3-5s).
The settings will be individual for each environment where you place the sensor.
The sensor is not sensitive to heat sources, but to the movement of, for example, a fan or moving curtains in a draft.

1 Like