Let's start talking about the new Z-wave JS integration

In the Node, look under Values, expand Door Lock, and set it with Target Lock Mode.

Thanks, but it doesn’t appear to be working. I’ve tried all the different states listed, but nothing seemed to change the lock state.

It might be related to the fact that my lock is actually a Kwikset 916, but it registers with the 910 profile. I submitted an issue about it on Github, but I know that my 916 lock has a lot of quirks, so I’m hoping they can figure it out.

Anyone else having nodes get marked as dead for no reason? This morning is keeps marking my front door lock (Schlage) and a GE Outdoor Plug as dead for no reason. I can operate the lock locally and it says “awake” but then goes “dead” about 5 seconds later. Have restarted a few times. Will try re-interviewing, but seems odd that its doing that randomly.

Would like to know that myself too.

I think, generally, the Kwikset locks are a mess with Z-wave JS right now. They do have an open GitHub ticket on the status not being updated. They are in the middle of a project to bring in device config files from everything in the Z-Wave Alliance data base. It’ll take a bit, I’m sure, but from their posted list all the Kwikset models are there. I’m hopeful for improvement and just being patient at this point while waiting for that.

Is there any way to invert a shutter controller , like in the old integration in the yaml? like ‘cover.roller_shutter_2_current_value: invert_openclose_buttons: true invert_percent: true’’ ?

3 Likes

I have 4 working without issues.

For those having issues with the Zooz 4-n-1 Motion Sensor I found a reliable way to get these registered correctly with ZwaveJS.

1. Exclude the sensor from HA
  2. Open the sensor battery compartment
  3. Do a factory reset
    • hold tamper switch
    • when ready with paper clip release tamper switch and quickly press 10 times
    • if you see (4) blinking blue or yellow lights the device has reset
    • pull battery, replace battery, put sensor back together
  4. Pair your sensor to HA
  5. After 5-6 seconds wake up device pressing the button with paper clip twice

You should see your device register correctly and begin working. If you are running ZwaveJS2MQTT or the console you can set device specific settings again.

Hope this helps.

Now I just need my GoControl garage door openers to be supported for cover in HA.

1 Like

Schlage seems to be as well, but then again their Z wave locks have always had issues to some degree, just not this much. Both my locks dont report any status from local operation. They only update if I trigger a lock/unlock from Home Assistant. One of them keeps getting marked as dead for some reason.

Yes, I’ve seen that a couple of times now with my single “switch” node I’m testing with.

It went dead a couple of days ago and after restarting the zwavejs2mqtt container and updating/downgrading/updating again it suddenly started working.

then yesterday it went dead and restarting didn’t fix it. I tried to do a couple of network heals but it didn’t work either.

The way I got it to show up again was to manually turn the switch on by pushing the activation button on the device. It immediately popped up in the control panel as alive and has been working ever since.

It’s definitely something I’ll need to keep track of before I decide to fully switch.

So, to follow up on this – I’ve now narrowed this down to a specific subset of devices. Anytime I toggle a ZEN27 this seems to immediately cause issues. I know I previously updated to firmware 2.08 which resolved issues under OZW.

Is anyone else seeing issues with the ZEN27 or other Zoos devices?

Qubino Flush Dimmer 0-10V:
In Zwavejs2mqtt they look ok.
In the integration the only entity it shows is a switch. No multilevel/dimmer. What’s wrong?

I’ve tried installing ZJS several times and getting same failed result.

I have 17 devices working with the existing Zwave Integration (now legacy).

I install ZJS and after configuring it with the device ID path (eg. /dev/serial/by-id/usb-0658_0200-if00) and my zwave key, it will say “Failed to connect”. If I retry to add integration I get same error.

I then reboot and it’ll start and actually pickup some devices. But most devices do not get picked up correctly and just show their Node ID and in a “not ready” state. Nothing I do will get these devices properly added. They then don’t function correctly with my legacy integration.

If I roll back to a previous snapshot it comes back fine, without ZJS and working with the legacy integration.

As I’m impatient, I went ahead with ZwaveJS2MQTT and with various MQTT messages I’m able to get my Kwikset 910 locks to do everything I need. The status on the locks doesn’t update HA when operated from the lock, so I look in the MQTT for alarmLevel messages and then send an MQTT message to refreshValues. While I’d hope that the locks can be better supported, I am grateful that MQTT is an option for me.

Have you tried doing a “Re-interview Node” action on one of the devices? Preferably one of the mains powered devices, to quickly see a response? I’ve set up ZWJS and it works great here.

Granted, I haven’t migrated from legacy Z-Wave, but I think that as long as your Z-Wave interface knows about the device, you should be able to re-interview it and get it set up correctly in ZWJS. Also, I’m using the WS connection with HA, not MQTT. I have MQTT activated in ZWJS though, just to be able to easily see how many messages the devices are sending.

I seem to be missing one small piece of this puzzle. My HA instance and where I intend to install zwavejs2mqtt aren’t the same hardware. All service dependencies for HA like mqtt, maria, etc live on a server in the basement rack. My HA container is on a NUC in my home office with an Aotec and ConBee sticks plugged in.

If I’m switching to zwavejs2mqtt do I still leave the Aotec plugged into the NUC and the integration acts as the command interface for the Aotec stick over the websocket port on 3000 back to the ZWJS server running in the basement?

As far I as I understand zwavejs2mqtt is going to access zwave controller (Aotec/Conbee) so it needs to be on same hardware.

Oohh…

I’ve never seen any reference to anything saying that the zwave js server (however you install it) can read a device connected to a different physical machine.

So I’d say it’s not possible. But I haven’t read thru all the docs either so it could be there somewhere.

But I do remember reading about another piece of software that can act as a bridge that sends the data from a serial device on one machine to be seen on a different machine but I can’t remember off the top of my head what it’s called. And I don’t even know if that would work in this case either.

Thanks I assumed that was the case but wanted clarification because we all know what assume spells. I guess its time to spring for a range extender and move HA to live in the rack with all the other containers. HVAC bulk head seems to mess with zwave mesh and nothing in the basement is a powered zwave device at this time.

And while I’m at it may as well install zigbee2mqtt and standardize on everything is MQTT. Sooner or later I’m going to need a Kanban board just to manage my home network.

1 Like

Where do you issue that “Re-interview node” comnmand from? And what is that web tool you’re using in your screenshot? Is that using the confusing zwavejs2mqtt, but not for MQTT and just using it as a web UI connected to ZWaveJS via Web Socket? (I’ve literally come to learn this was possible)

I’ve tried to use it, setup the “zwave” settings in it and een when i specify the device ID and key, i get this error:

Driver: Failed to initialize the driver: Timeout while waiting for an ACK from the controller

I’ve tried restarting the addon, with no luck.

You’re right - it’s the web GUI of Z-Wave JS to MQTT. In my case I’m running Home Assistant Core and Z-Wave JS to MQTT in two separate docker containers. And I’m passing my Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 to the Z-Wave JS to MQTT container as a device. But I tested now with a HA Supervisor installation on a VM, and by passing the Z-Stick to the VM and adding the Z-Wave JS to MQTT addon, I was able to configure the Z-Stick in the web GUI without problems. Immediately it started loading the devices from the stick.

Are you sure you’re using the right device path for your Z-Wave interface? I always prefer to use the /dev/serial/by-id/xxx path instead of /dev/ttyXXXN path, as I read that the /dev/ttyXXXN paths can change depending on how your sticks are identified when the OS boots up.

In any event, if things are going ok you should get this menu option under each device: