Level door lock?

speaking of local, have you tried with your internet uplink disconnected (so pure local access)?

Since it has an Android app, there might be a fair amount of reverse engineering someone could do to.

@nalipaz did you end up purchasing one? If so, did the moment controller integration work? I am thinking of purchasing one, but am ijn Australia where they are not released yet, so would have to jump through a couple of hoops to get one, and if it doesn’t work, won’t be the end of the world, but will be a little disappointed.

I did buy one and was hoping I might be able to use some sort of bridge integration but so far I have found nothing. It doesn’t even connect to WiFi, it is a ble only device. However this is one of the only locks I can get away with using at my apartment since it doesn’t look like I changed anything to my property management. That said I will continue to use and just keep hoping for ble to be integrated into the hass HomeKit integration. It is a really nice lock and very good app despite the 5 other locks I have tried out in the past. Probably the best one I have seen with the least amount of issues.

1 Like

thanks for the response… i might just wait to see how dev goes, and by that time, they may release the z-wave zigbee versions which i will jump on.

thanks

Yeah I was initially excited when I saw this. Elegant solution but then not having Z-Wave kind of killed it for me.

1 Like

I created a feature request for Level Lock Integration. Please Vote!

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/level-lock-integration/210009

1 Like

I’ve got a solution that seems to be working (albeit a little fragile) to control the Level Lock from Home Assistant. It’s not the direct integration that we would all want to see, but given the limitation that the lock itself is BLE only, this will do.

Here’s how it works:

1. Set up a Helper switch that is a boolean toggle. I call this one Lock Proxy
  2. Use HomeKit Bridge to bring that switch on over to your HomeKit instance
  3. Set up automations in the Home app to handle different states. Here’s an example of mine:

They are as follows:

• When Lock Proxy turns on, door locks
  • When Lock Proxy turns off, door unlocks
  • When door locks, turn on Lock Proxy
  • When door unlocks, turn off Lock Proxy

Obviously this can get to be fragile if somehow the states get out of sync, but it does work as a band-aid.

Hope this helps!

5 Likes

Hi Matt,

I am not sure if I understand how this works. How do you bring the Level Lock to your HASS?

Oh, I didn’t at all. I’m simply making a fake switch that is then able to be seen in HomeKit, then using HomeKit automations to link the fake switch and the Level Lock.

OIC, I just wonder how quickly can the lock response via Homekit automation? I will give it a try, thanks for the idea.

It would be great if we can have true integration between HASS and Level Lock or all Homekit BLE devices. Unfortunately, I have no technical knowhow to understand why it is so difficult to create a generic BLE controller.

The whole thing takes about 4 seconds round trip, from the time I activate the Proxy Lock until the lock is unlocked. Then probably another 1-2 seconds to receive the notification from Homekit that the event happened.

Here’s a little preview of how it works (this has been sped up to 2x real-time). The screen recording was taken when I was away from the home and on an LTE network.

1 Like

I thought the same but I saw a video of a guy on youtube cutting a standard bolt in half…They’re all hollow lol.

With HomeKit Integration, you can setup location based settings and it will unlock as you approach. You can manually lock/unlock, use the HomeKit integration, or through the Level Lock app. I’ve had one for 3 years, and they are really nice. I’ll integrate it with Alexa, or Home Assistant when it becomes available.

Hi Matt,

Can i just clarify a couple of things about your solution…

You state

1. Use HomeKit Bridge to bring that switch on over to your HomeKit instance

Does this mean that you are simply running an instance of https://homebridge.io/ on your network and that you don’t actually have a HomeKit enabled hub?

I was under the impression that the Level Lock can natively integrate with HomeKit and to so so, you had to have a HomeKit enabled hub like the HomePod mini. Does your solution need a HomeKit hub (like HomePod mini)?

Can you please correct my understanding of your solution:

• Level Lock is connected to Apple HomeKit Hub (lets just say it is a HomePod mini)
  • Within your Home Assistant instance, you have HomeKit Controller and HomeKit integrations enabled and configured
  • you have set up a boolean toggle Helper switch called Lock Proxy

Here is where i have questions:
You state:

2. Use HomeKit Bridge to bring that switch on over to your HomeKit instance
Is the ‘HomeKit Bridge’ the https://homebridge.io/ i mentioned above or a hub like Homepod mini?
Is the ‘HomeKit instance’ the integration within Home Assistant?

3. Set up automations in the Home app to handle different states.
What is the ‘Home’ app in this instance?

Thanks in advance for your help

1 Like

Hi Thomas,

Are you using Homekit’s own location detection to automate your lock? Or, are you using another kind of mechanism to determine your location?

I tried the Homekit’s location detection as well as the HA companion app, but found it works only 90% to 95% of time. It is quite annoying when the lock unlock too early, before I approach my house, or even worse when it unlock suddenly, after I entered my home and locked my door. Do you have similar issue?

Hi Michael,

I do not speak for Matt but just to share my experience.

What I have done is :

1. Setup a Homepod mini as my Homekit Hub
  2. Setup my Level Lock in the Homekit (you need an iPhone/ iPad to do so)
  3. Setup Homekit integration in HASS
  4. Add a input_boolean (proxy as mentioned by Matt) in HASS and expose it to my my Homekit Hub
  5. Setup automations in the Homekit (Home app) in iPhone/ iPad

I also created a HA script and exposed it to Homekit so that when I say “Hey Siri, Sesame open the door” at home, it will unlock the door without the need to confirm on my iPhone.

1 Like

Actually, my HomeKit App asks me if I want to run the automation to unlock the door and turn on certain devices. However, the LevelLock will unlock itself only when I am about 15 feet (that’s a rough estimate…) from my door.

Also, I stated HomeKit Integration above, but actually meant to say HomeKit App. I am hoping it will eventually move to HomeAssistant as it would be nive to be able to check entity “states” at certain intervals to ensure someone didn’t come in late and leave the door unlocked. I have a couple of kids and an elderly parent living with my wife and I. Checking up on them (especially the elderly parent) constantly is ROUGH… LOL

@kelvin.ng @galligan Thank you, Finally got around to setting this up.

Now that the new Level door lock officially supports Alexa, is there any chance that it could be integrated into HA?

Does that come with an open local api?