Leviton Load Center supported?

I’m considering replacing my electrical panel with a Leviton Load Center but I was not able to find any information on if Home Assistant has any support for this (power monitoring, remote breaker tripping) Anyone know?
I understand the Load Center leverages the same MyLeviton app as their switches, and from searches I can see HA supports Leviton Bluetooth and WiFI switches, but not able to find more information than that.

6 Likes

Bump… I’d like to know as well. We just bought a home that has to have the entire electrical system rewired and the outdated and under-sized panel replaced. If I’m going to have to replace it all, this load center sure looks like the way to go.

I have it and want integration but they don’t have an api connected due to security they say. BS.

1 Like

It may just be a matter of time. For a very long time Carrier AC systems have not had a good API but then infinitude came along. Same with Generators. At some point, someone will find a way to integrate them. At least I hope. Leviton panels are very high on my “want” list.

I send them request about every month. So far a let down.

3 Likes

Bump this. Installing one in our vacation place and even a read-only API would be sweet. Some have complained about the lack of features in the native app for energy tracking but let HA do whatever you want.

They have no api for the load center and don’t plan to have one. Their support is crap. I’ve tried contact them since it came out and will never get another leviton product after how much I spent and how little they care to support they’re product.

I am replacing my panel, and was considering the Leviton product. Based on this information, I’ll probably take it off my list. Does Square D or any other vendor have a similar product? Considering the premium price of the wifi load breakers, I would have thought they would support their product a lot better than this.

I would have thought the same by they don’t even return my emails any longer. Trying to find out what’s contained in an update is hard enough. I was told last that they never promised an API.

I sent an email to try to stimulate a good conversation (usually saying “why doesn’t your product do ‘x’?” usually doesn’t end well). When I complimented them for the ease of installation and other positives about the product, they were very receptive. I mentioned it would be nice to have access from other home automation providers for a limited set of non-control items (power consumption, read only breaker status, etc.), support said they’d submit it as an enhancement request. The following day, I got a response letting me know it was in their “consideration” system. I’m still a few months out from starting to build, so I have time to decide if it will be worth it. Those wifi breakers are super expensive, and I don’t know if there’s much value over traditional ones.

They must have had layoffs and replaced some people. I’ve been asking and submitting emails for the better part of 3 years I think. I got it setup the first month they were available in July of 2019.

I went with the Leviton load center after reviewing the Square “D” PowerLink system. I was hoping for the same API feature and I talked with the support people and they said they would forward my request to the proper department. Well that was like 6 months ago and still no API. I also sent them an email requesting a version of the Smart Breaker that would allow both “Tripping (Open)” the breaker and “Resetting” (Closing) the breaker remotely, as I do a lot of traveling and having both options would be great. No reply on that request either. I have a BrulTech GreenEye energy monitoring system ( [https://www.brultech.com/]) which I believe is the best on the market. I have “History” data that goes back 5 years for my house and has helped in trouble shooting HVAC issues (thermostat issue, fan circuit board… issues) in the past. I was hoping that Leviton would create an API that I could use for this purpose, but as you ALL are aware it is not happening. You can go to my homepage to see my BrulTech system prior to the Leviton upgrade. I need to update my webpage with the new Smart Panel, maybe I will just wait until January 2023 to see if Leviton comes up with something

So, I am now rethinking my options. The main reason for going with the Leviton Smart Breakers over the Square “D” smart system was the Square “D” system has a low voltage pigtail off of each breaker (24VDC) that I was going to connect to my IoT Raspberry Pi through relays. Unfortunately, I did not have time to complete my circuit board design and have a PCB created and sent back, and the local Electrical inspector would not give a stamp of approval for the job if those pigtails were not connected to a circuit, hence the Leviton System. The Square “D” breakers allow for both “Tripping” and “Resetting” the circuits.

I am going to give Leviton until December 30, 2022 to come up with an “API” and a response to my 2-way breaker request. If nothing I will remove the Leviton Smart Panel and install the Square “D” PowerLink.

2 Likes

I created a custom integration that pulls data from the cloud. GitHub - rwoldberg/ldata-ha: Home Assistant Integration for Levition LDATA
It is a work in progress and not perfect, but its a start.

Thanks for your work Robert. I will have to give it a try and see what the information is that can be accessed. I guess that I am a little spoiled using the BrulTech GEM/DashBox that stores data locally in the dash box by the minute. I am still thinking of pulling out the Leviton Smart panel and going with the Square D panel with the breakers that allow remote control (trip and reset) and continue using the BrulTech setup that I currently depend on. I will let you know how this code works out

We replaced our ancient panel with a Leviton panel and have the LDATA hub and some smart breakers installed, in my experience the Leviton tech support has been stellar – they treat you like you have a brain and don’t pull the “only a licensed electrician can work on this” routine. They also get what’s likely to be weird when you go from an old school panel to a new panel with smart breakers and consumption monitoring and have been more than willing to talk through problems and how to troubleshoot them.

My daughter was able to create a very nice “dashboard” for monitoring energy consumption using the HA integration and Grafana – Grafana gives you much nicer graphing options than (the rather useless IMO) options in Leviton’s app. Though I should add that the Leviton folks seem actively interested in bugs / issues with their app.

Be very sure you know what you’re doing with remote reset – that could, literally, kill someone. I’m actually quite surprised that the NEC (and their liability lawyers) allow that feature in residential gear.

It’s a good start! We’re not using it with HA (yet) – the flexibly to use it as a stand along package is really appreciated. Many thanks.

Well, I (Unfortunately) I went with the Leviton Smart Load Center instead of the Square “D” system as the local city inspector would not have approved the electrical work with the 24VDC internal relay power leads from of each breaker not connected to a PCB for remote control. I had the Raspberry Pi script written and tested for the basic remote Trip/Reset features, but did not have the PCB designed and made yet.

Actually there are a few things that the Trip feature would have been nice for, one feature is that you do not have to leave the electrical project you are working on, like in the attic, to go and Reset the breaker and come back to test. I would have used it a lot for tripping the circuits that have a lot of electronics on them, like my Media center, the kitchen appliances, my office computers when there is a lightning storm approaching and just Reset the breakers 30 minutes after the storm has passed. Yes, I do have ZigBee circuit modules, but I like the main circuit control better. For the average home owner, I would not recommend the Square D smart panel for safety reasons.

So, that brings me up to tonight’s Smart Load Center / Home Assistant excitement. It was 9:30PM and I went through the process of loading the LData from GitHub and the download went rather well, except when the loading finished and I was setting up a Dashboard I selected AC and as soon as I did that, I received a text message on my phone stating that "Your A/C breaker in you Home Panel has entered “OFF”. Since we are in rather warm/hot Florida, I raced out to the breakers by the HVAC unit and turned them off. Walked over to the Main Service Panel and tried to reset the Leviton Smart HVAC 60 Amp breaker with no luck. I figured I would wait for 10 minutes to see if the hub was going to update maybe, I tried the breaker again with no luck. Walked back into my house, pulled the spare breaker box off the shelf and pulled out a regular not smart 60 amp backup breaker, plugged it in and was able to set the switch to Green, walked over to the HVAC unit and reset the breakers there, waited 5 more minutes for the ecobee to re-calibrate itself and the HVAC started up like normal. Tomorrow after I re-lube the splines in my F150 axle to stop the clunking, I will have to trouble shoot the Home Assistant/Leviton issue, but not have it in the HVAC slots. I should have known that the HA plugin went to easy. Will let you know what I find out. Never a dull moment with Smart Electronics.

Oh, thank you for all your work. I just have to figure out why the HVAC tripped when I added it to the new Dashboard. It was like instantaneous. Always something interesting, that is why life is so much fun. Thanks again

I’ve seen similar problems – we had two smart (alec) breakers that – despite being on and showing no error indications – had no output at the load terminals. Swapping in a well-mannered (dumb) breaker got things working again and Leviton was right on it with replacing the breakers, but it definitely good to have dumb spares.

Do you know about the factory reset process for the breakers? Might be worth doing a reset.