LG webostv integration added via UI, cannot add in turn_on_action

I’ve got a webostv, LG C1. The only way to turn on the TV is through wake on LAN, described in the manual. I’ve created a a switch entity to execute wake on LAN (which works), however I want the power button tied to the media_player entity to also perform the wake on LAN broadcast.

As described a few different posts here, with manual configurations I just need to add a couple lines for turn_on_action and that’ll provide the power on button to the media_player entity. However manual configuration for is deprecated for webostv, with the UI install being the only way to add it. I tried adding the lines to a customize.yaml entry however it doesn’t seem to work.

The official documentation has an example going through an automation.

Thanks.

Solution: Some how if you enter in the automation example provided in the doc page, a power button will magically appear with the TV entity. I don’t understand why or how, and I wish the documentation was clearer, but there you go.

1 Like

I use the LG WebOS remote and it need a service too, so I guess its the same for the media player entity.

First add the line below to your configuration.yaml
wake_on_lan:

Then go to your configuration page and find the blueprint section.
Open it and click import blueprint.
Insert the line below and click preview blueprint
https://gist.github.com/cvroque/6780ca0869ef781e9de3b506fd501f78#file-webostv_turn_on-yaml

Next click import blueprint and then the LG webOS Smart TV - Turn On Action blueprint and create and automation based on it.

Did you assign a static IP?

I think so, but it worked with a dynamic too, because I tried that yesterday.
Just remember that there is an option for always on in the TVs settings that needs to be enabled and a magic packet only works on the wired interface.