Life360 Device Tracker Platform

So, after some time, all the members of my circle appeared. This is the status of my things:
HA updated to 2023.12.4
Removed all previous workarounds and the built-in integration
Installed Life360 custom integration
Changed Life360 password.
Logged in to the integration using the new password.
My phone number was previously verified, but after changing the password, it became unverified. I think that is why I could log in to the integration.

Thanks.

1 Like

That did the trick for me! Thanks

Glad you got it working.

You should now be able to remove the custom integration and go back to using the built-in integration if you want. The main difference you will see is that the “online” binary sensor will no longer be created, so you’ll have to manually delete it from the Entities page.

And, to be clear, I mean removing <config>/custom_components/life360 and restarting HA. You do NOT need to make any changes on the Integrations page.

1 Like

Thanks for the awesome support! I’ll keep the custom integration for now!

This did not fix me…

This is my current understanding of the situation, and suggestions for getting the integration working.

NOTE: In the following, “/config” refers to your Home Assistant’s configuration directory. However, it might be a different path, depending on how you installed HA. Adjust accordingly.

1. Remove any life360 PyPI package workaround. I.e., remove “/config/life360” if it exists.
  2. If you want to use the standard, built-in Life360 integration, remove any custom form of it (e.g., my “ha-life360” custom integration) by removing “/config/custom_components/life360”. (If you want to use my ha-life360 custom integration, make sure you are using at least version 0.3.10.)
  3. Upgrade Home Assistant to at least 2023.12.4.
  4. Restart Home Assistant.
  5. If you have an existing Life360 integration config entry, or you try to add one, and it fails to start, that probably means you have verified your phone number via the Life360 app. When you do this, the Life360 server uses a different auth process that the HA integration does not support (yet.) In this case, change your Life360 password via the Life360 app or via their password reset website (see Reset My Password – Life360. See more details about this step below.) After doing this, do NOT verify your phone number if it asks again. Now you should be able to enter the new password in the HA Life360 integration entry.
  6. If for some reason that doesn’t work, and you want to try to remove the HA Life360 integration entry, go to the Integrations page. Ignore any Life360 box that says it needs to be reconfigured. Below that there should be the “normal” Life360 integration box. Click on it. Then click on the three-dot menu, and select Delete.
  7. If all of that fails, a suggestion has been made to make and use a new Life360 account to be used only for Home Assistant, since there is a new “feature” of Life360 that prevents two “login’s” to the same account from two different devices. See procedure below.

Separate Life360 Account for Home Assistant

Courtesy of @FriedCheese (FriedCheese2006 on github)

I’ve slightly worked around this. I created what is essentially a service account that I added to my family circle and used it to log in from HA. You can get a phone number for the text messages using Google Voice.

1. Get a number using GV (or any other text service of your choosing).
  2. Sign up for a new account using that new number.
  3. Add an email address to the account.
  4. Add the new account to your existing circle (this will generate a code).
  5. Sign into the Life360 app with the new account and join the circle using the code from step 4.
  6. Sign back into the app using your normal account.
  7. Use the new account in HA.

More details about “unverifying” your phone number

Courtesy of @fredu, see his post below.

3 Likes

Curious if it’s related to the app - anyone else get an email from Life360 today saying unauthorized access was detected?

Two people said the same on the github.com issue.

1 Like

Thanks. Just wanted to make sure it was a false alarm!

Thanks @pnbruckner ! I tried to delete my life360 folder but it said it wasn’t empty. I deleted all the files in the folder and still was unable to delete the folder. I rebooted HA anyway and tried the life360 integration. It worked! Thank you very much for the step by step instructions.

Not that I’m trying to say you should put anymore time into this than you already have but…

If you want to try to figure out how to do the 2FA auth then you might be able to get inspiration from the Alexa Media Player custom integration. I’m pretty sure that they handle that auth style in their config. Maybe the same method will work here.

Or just tell me to pound sand. :laughing:

Either way is fine with me and I appreciate your effort. :slightly_smiling_face:

@11harveyj has already been working on 2FA. But as of right now, I’m not sure how it can be used in HA, because my understanding is, Life360 has a new “feature” whereby they only allow one login per account, which I think only applies when using 2FA. So, if your phone was logged in that way, and then HA “logs in” that way, I think that means your phone would get automatically logged out, which would not be good.

Honestly, I don’t have a lot of “warm fuzzies” that this integration will live much longer. It seems Life360 has been actively changing the way their stuff works. Could be they’re just trying to improve things, but there are at least some indications that they have no intention of supporting HA. The only question is, if they will take steps to lock us out, or just make enough changes that indirectly make it near impossible for us to “keep up.”

2 Likes

Their support leads have clearly said they intend to continue being hostile towards any UI/use case but their own.

I’ve moved to OwnTracks for HA (I got a refund on Life360 and am now using the free version of Life360, and am not looking back…

You pushed me too far, Life360.

1 Like

Just managed to get this working. If you have an existing life360 folder at the same level as the custom_components folder you need to delete it and restart before adding the new integration.

1 Like

Thanks Steve, this is the only working solution for me that works.

Yes, this has been stated many times. I know this topic is very long so it can be hard to find to right information. As a reminder, please see my summary above. What you did is step 1. :wink:

Thanks @pnbruckner. Maybe worth pinning the summary to the top if possible.

1 Like

As an FYI, removing that folder is really not a “solution”. It is removing a previous workaround. Normally these folders do not exist:

/config/lif360
/config/custom_components/life360
1 Like

I guess I don’t know if that’s possible, and if so, how to do it.

In the future (if there is a future for this integration), I don’t think I’ll post or support any “workarounds”. Sure, they might help some people get things working again sooner, but they wreak all kinds of havoc later. I was warned not to do it. I should have listened. :laughing:

8 Likes

Sure did… Found it in spam today.
(BTW when they bumped HA into the suspect list, I just removed my life360 account from my 2 instances, no trying to fix it…)

Here it is…

Life360 [email protected] Unsubscribe Dec 29, 2023, 3:25 PM (4 days ago)

to me

Dear Valued Member,

At Life360, the security of our products and services has always been among our top priorities. We are continuously monitoring and implementing features designed to enhance the security of our products and security for our members.

Recently, we identified suspicious activity in which an unauthorized person used credentials (email address and password) obtained from outside sources to attempt to access your account. Based on our investigation to date, we have no evidence of unauthorized access to Life360 user location information, payment card information, or physical addresses. To safeguard against further suspicious activity, we took the precaution of resetting your password.

Life360 has introduced a new way to further safeguard your account by using one-time-passcodes delivered to your verified phone number when logging into your account, instead of passwords. Enrolling in passwordless login is the best way to prevent password misuse and protect your personal information, so please take a few minutes to enroll now.

Take action to further safeguard your account now:

In the Life360 App, visit Settings → Account → Phone Number and verify the phone number associated with your account. Afterwards, you’ll log in by receiving a code delivered directly to your phone instead of using a password.

In addition to enabling passwordless login on Life360, we encourage you to change the password on any online service for which you have used the same or similar credentials at Life360 or elsewhere.

Security is an important part of our commitment to keep families safe online and in the real world. Thank you for taking the time to read this message and taking steps to protect your account.

Best regards,
Chris Hulls, CEO

Life360 Inc. 1900 S. Norfolk Street, Suite 310
San Mateo, CA 94403

I tried to reply, but of course they didn’t want to listen to me and it bounced…
It was going to say this.

—>

No, it wasn’t unauthorized. It was me accessing my data in an alternate way.

(Yes, MY DATA)

I am Very upset about you interfering with that data stream and am currently taking steps to remove that datastream from All my devices. I will also be recommending all my family and friends and social media companions do the same.

Thank You, but no Thank You…

1 Like