Life360 Device Tracker Platform

Meh, just logged out of the official app and tried to log back in again:

Something went wrong, please try again later

Reckon they’ve buggered something up. I’m off to bed and hopefully they’ll have fixed it by the morning

I had that issue a couple of days ago. a re-install of the app fixed that issue for me.

That doesn’t appear to resolve this issue now. It simply denies any login credentials.

Thank you for all of your time and effort in this integration. I had been using it since way back when. While I hope Life 360 will come around, I’m not going to hold my breath. Thank you again for your time. It was extremely reliable and an important part of a lot of our setups.

5 Likes

So, what does life look like after Life360? What are people switching to?
My main issue is I have locked all my services (HA for example) behind Wireguard. Now, I could have WG active on my wifes phone, which solves the HomeAssistant Client problem, but is it as reliable as Life360?
[Feel free to advise I move this to a separate thread if its not the correct topic area]

2 Likes

There are at least these topics you might check out:

Looking for Life360 alternative for presence detection for home alarm - Configuration - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

Device Tracker, Best echange for Life360 - Configuration - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

And I’m sure there are several other “Life360 stopped working” topics where it is being discussed as well.

I only need to know if people are home or away so I have moved to using the ASUSWRT integration that reads data from my ASUS router and can create device trackers for any WIFI device. So presence now based on if family members phones are connected to WiFi or not.

1 Like

I’ve just migrated from Life360 in HA to Apple iCloud integration for presence detection. Took all of 15 mins to setup and re-map devices.

What is this exactly? Is it HA integration?

I would assume:

Apple iCloud - Home Assistant (home-assistant.io)

1 Like

That’s a brilliant idea. Need to check this out

Is it any different from HA mobile app

Can it be considered as a redundancy?

We both (wife and I) use the HA app. It’s configured to point to our internal HA IP address. I access ha (and everything else) via a Wireguard tunnel when out and about

It’s rare this is enabled all the time

The HA app therefore doesn’t know I left home and always reports ‘at home’
If there was a way to configure it to detect a WiFi detach and report ‘away’ then it’s job done! But this would need to be initiated and polled from the HA instance side

edit – I note the person entity doesn’t register when a phone device goes ‘dark’. Is there a way to add a ‘device_wifi_connected’ method to the person entity? This would involve a ping every minute to check I guess.
There may be a way to do this from uptime kuma… Need to fiddle tomorrow

Still think it would be great if there was a monitor only mode for the mobile app in cases where we want to monitor all the aspects of an android/ios device whether its location, battery,etc… without having it be the full app with access to dashboards.

1 Like

Looks like iCloud will do that…same as Life360
I am just asking if this is considered to be redundancy for HA Mobile App, or it is just the same source

Just out of curiosity, why do you need Wireguard tunnel? I do not need it for geolocation and HA Mobile App

I try and disconnect as many of my services from the internet as possible. I just don’t trust much these days…
Admittedly, I really need to take a long hard look at this as am not honestly sure I am achieving much by this, but Wireguard does help when I am away and need access to all my services from work for example

This is probably just their generic approach to tunnel traffic back home vice running over public wifi/cell towers. I do the same thing.

The HA app has location sensors to use GPS data that you can enable and that will work regardless of using Wireguard.

There’s always the Ping (ICMP) - Home Assistant integration that can be added if you use reserved IPs on wifi for the phones AND have MAC randomization disabled (since that breaks reservations). That can be used to determine whether or not you are connected to home wifi (presuming you have ICMP enabled between HA and the network that your phones are on). This creates a “device_tracker” entity that can be added to the Person entity for location tracking.

You could even use it in an automation to toggle the location sensor on your phones if you don’t want it turned on all the time.

Yes, they are two different ways to get location information (and other stuff I guess, especially with the mobile app, which I don’t use, so don’t know much about.)

But redundancy isn’t necessarily a bad thing, even when running & using two apps on the same phone/device. E.g., until Life360 stopped working, for several people, who already had Life360 & Google Maps on their phones, I used the two corresponding HA integrations, and combined them with my custom composite integration (which predates the person entity, and IMHO, does a better job of processing location data from multiple location sensors.) Since these phones already had both apps, it really had no impact to use them both from HA.

If you wanna go iCloud route, there’s a better integration available with lots of customizations and extra sensors: GitHub - gcobb321/icloud3: iCloud3 v3 Prerelease is now available, Enable Beta Versions in HACS. ---- iCloud3 is an advanced iDevice tracker that uses Apple iCloud account and HA Companion App data for presence detection and location based automations.

1 Like