Life360 Device Tracker Platform

FYI, the third & fourth verbosity levels are designed to automatically redact sensitive data.

So, the one “Response data” message you show (even though it wasn’t what I asked for) indicates it is indeed providing data for at least one Member, and that there should be at least one device tracker entity created.

Do you only see one “response data” message for that Member/entity? Or do you see others for it, too?

Are there device tracker entities for all the Life360 Members you expect, or are some missing? Or is it just that they, or it, don’t/doesn’t seem to be updating?

You say they are always “home”. Do the latitude, longitude & last_seen attributes always stay the same, or do they change?

If you open the Life360 app on your phone, does the device tracker entity (or entities) change? What about if you use the life360.update_location service?

I don’t recall if I asked you before, if you open the “System options” dialog for the Life360 integration entry, what do you see? Are the boxes checked?

I did a search for ‘response data’ and what I pasted here is all that is found. At the moment I only have myself as an account.

Ok, I have just re-checked the Life360 device_tracker entity again and it looks like it may be tracking according to my movements. Just to double check, if I check the history of the Life360 device_tracker entity, it is literally data just for that one, correct? As opposed to other GPS trackers I have?

So, this warning is only generated once, even when multiple updates are ignored. It won’t be seen again until an update is not ignored for the same reason, and then is ignored again. So, when you saw this message, what did it say? Also, when this happens, the corresponding device tracker entity should have an ignored_update_resons attribute that indicates this has happened. Do you see that attribute?

What is my username and password.
Life360 got flakey on me so I deleted it.

I am using the email address that I use to pay my subscription as well as the password associated with it.

It now tells me invalid authentication when I try to reregister.
I have cleared cache, shut down and restarted, but still the same result.
Nothing about 360 in the logs.

Because this changes on an almost weekly basis is there a place to (github?) that helps with all of these details.

What else can I check.

Have you verified your phone number with Life360…If so you can’t use email to log in and have to use phone
see here for more GitHub - pnbruckner/ha-life360: A Home Assistant integration for Life360.

That doesn’t make sense. After reloading the integration, it will retrieve the list of Circles & Members again. Each of those should generate a log message with “response data” in it (specifically, the ones I asked you to search for.) You showed the message stating the retrieval was complete, so there should have been data with the list of Circles and the Members in those Circles.

The account you enter in the integration’s options is what is used to retrieve data from the Life360 server. Just like when you log into the Life360 app on your phone, you may be in just one Circle, or you may be in more than one Circle. That is what the HA Life360 integration will see as well. For each Circle you are in, it will retrieve the list of Life360 Members that are in that Circle. It could be just you, or more than likely, there are other Members, too. For each Member the integration sees (from all the Circles your account sees), the integration will create a device tracker entity.

I’m not really following the question. Each entity in HA has its own history.

What version of the Life360 integration are you using? I only just made a “full” release (0.5.0) that works with the current Life360 server API. Version 0.3.10 hasn’t worked for quite a while.

Before 0.5.0 there were development, and then beta, releases. It was changing constantly because I was providing early access to people who wanted to try it and provide feedback while I was developing it.

You can always click the documentation link:

Thanks. Yes, then it looks like the Life360 device tracker entity has been updating according to my movements. I will monitor over the next few days.

As said, the reason for wanting to try Life360 again, was that in its previous incarnation, it updated very quick, to make automations useful. I am hoping that this is just as quickly. Ironically, I don’t need/have a use case for using the Life360 app itself. I have also tried pretty much every other GPS tracker and they seem to have significant delays (somewhere in a whole process).

Yep, actually more quickly. It used to query the server every 10 seconds, and now it queries every 5 seconds. It still won’t have new data until the server does, but on average, it should see those updates more quickly.

Also, you can use the life360.update_location service to request a Member’s device provide more frequent updates. Normally, Life360 does a pretty good job of balancing battery usage & update frequency. E.g., when the device isn’t moving, the updates usually come further apart, whereas when the device is moving, the updates come more frequently.

Still, there are times when even faster updates can be useful. E.g., as you approach home, you might want more frequent updates so you can better time opening or unlocking doors, turning on lights, etc.

You may have never noticed, but when you open the Life360 app on your phone, it causes more frequent updates. The same can be initiated via the life360.update_location service. You can list which tracker entities (and, therefore, which Members) should increase their update frequency, or you can use “all” to have all Life360 entities update more frequently. Typically, this lasts about one minute, and causes updates every 5 seconds (which is why the query period was changed to 5 seconds.)

E.g., I have automations that notice when I or my wife get close to home which then calls the service. You can see on a HA map card that the “update dots” happen more often and closer together when this happens. :smiley:

Ah yes. Those are the exact scenarios where i would need a quick responding tracker.

Are you using the Proximity integration to determine ‘closeness’ to home/a location?

No, just using a template trigger which uses the distance function. I also use a speed sensor that comes from the composite integration, and a gradient of the distance that comes from the trend sensor.

So, it triggers when the distance is below about a quarter of a mile, and the speed is at least 6 mph, and the tracker is moving closer to home as opposed to away from it. Once it triggers it calls the service every 55 seconds until the tracker’s state changes to home, or the distance goes back above a quarter of a mile.

2 Likes

hi. I would like to intregrate life360 on my home assistant
I would like to use tracker for to open house gate. Now I use the tracker of home assistant… and I have some problems: works okey when the hight accurate gps pisition is on… but when is off …a “disaster movie”…

life360 is good for this use?
how i can install it?
how i can configure for to have hight accurate gps precision when I’m near my home?

thanks!

should work for your requirement I think…
you need to read up here GitHub - pnbruckner/ha-life360: A Home Assistant integration for Life360. for installing, configuration, etc
if you have questions after this I’m sure you’ll get assistance if you post back here but definitely need to read/research a bit first :+1:t2:

1 Like

well… i just did it… and I create a proximity sensor too…but now not update my position… ( naturally I installed life360 on my device)…strange… what i can do?

I’m assuming you’re using the latest version, 0.5.0, correct?

What did you set for “Max GPS accuracy”?

Do you see any WARNING or ERROR messages in the System Logs?

Do you see one or more device_tracker entities?

If so, do any of them have any of the following attributes:

• ignored_update_reasons
  • reason
  • restored

Phil,
Do you know if having the Battery Saver on has any impact on the place being reported? Two of my sons have their battery saver on and are at home but the place is reporting unknown even though their location just updated. My oldest son and myself are also at home but our place shows Jordan Home in the place.

dj

Battery saver mode (for ios or Android) will have negative effects on Life360 in general, regardless of HA or any other integration. Life360 specifically instructs you to turn it off when installing and even suggests that you should use “battery saver” mode to turn off location tracking temporarily if you don’t want your location known.

When you say “place”, do you mean the place attribute of the device_tracker entities? Or do you mean that the states of the device_tracker entities are not updating to a HA zone? I assume you meant the former, but just wanted to make sure.

If you did mean the attribute, I really have no idea. The integration is just reporting what the Life360 server sends. I almost never turn on battery saver, so I don’t know from personal experience either.

it’s from Life360. Yeah my boys hate the battery drain from the app so they turn it on all the time.