Life360 Device Tracker Platform

Hi I recently got my parents into hassio too and I had to add your component as well!
Nows the odd thing though, when I try to specify only 3 members (residents at my parents house) and I leave my girlfriend and I out we still both show up as device trackers.

My config is like this:

device_tracker:

• platform: life360
    username: xxx
    password: xxx
    max_gps_accuracy: 200
    members:
    • txxx, bxxx
    • bxxx, bxxx
    • sxxx
      prefix: life360
      show_as_state: driving, moving, places
      home_place: Home

First being my father, first, lastname. Second being my mother, first,lastname. Last being my sister with just first name.

My account is part of two circles, one with my sister, father and mother and another with just my girlfriend.

My girlfriend and I are not listed yet we still show up. Any clue how I tackle this problem?

EDIT:
I seemed to have found a work around, in knowndevices.yaml I changed my girlfriend and my life360 track: true to false.

Hi I wish to use Life360 just for Home Not_home tracking (not publish my position when I am outside my home, except publishing that I am not home).
Is it possible?

Try ‘hide_if_away: true’ in your known_devices.yaml? Im no expert on the component but I just ran into it myself. Good luck :slight_smile:

Thanks I will try.

I will explain whjat I am looking to do: currently I use MONITOR (a component that uses BLE for monitoring home presence).

The component works really well (its the best of its kind), although few times it misses the fact that a member exited home. And this miss can last few minutes to 1 hour, depending on various circumstances.

My goal is to use a GPS location component only for those times when MONITOR fails

Now I am trying to look how to achieve that

You can set track to false for the two devices you don’t want to track, but you shouldn’t have to do that. Make sure you have logger set to debug, then search home-assistant.log for life360 related messages, such as:

grep -F custom_components.life360 home-assistant.log

Not long after HA starts you should see two messages, one that contains Configured members = ... and then Processed members = .... What do you see?

BTW, when using the Preformatted text button to format your YAML code, you need to make sure there is at least one blank line before the block of text, otherwise it won’t format correctly (as you can see from your post above.)

As @Jules_Bousema suggests, setting hide_if_away: true in known_devices.yaml will make your GPS coordinates less visible, but won’t hide them completely. E.g., they still go into the database, they still show up on the States page, etc. But it will cause the device_tracker entity from showing in the frontend, and on the map, when you’re not home. BTW, also note that if you go into a zone (other than home, that is), as far as I know, the state of the device_tracker will still change to the name of the zone. So, the states may not just be home and not_home. Still, I think this will probably do what you want.

I have this error on my log, and the component doesn’t work, someone know the reason?

2019-03-26 20:31:18 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.http] Configuring trusted_networks via the http component has been deprecated. Use the trusted networks auth provider instead. For instructions, see https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/authentication/providers/#trusted-networks 2019-03-26 20:31:21 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.loader] You are using a custom component for life360.device_tracker which has not been tested by Home Assistant. This component might cause stability problems, be sure to disable it if you do experience issues with Home Assistant. 2019-03-26 20:31:30 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.sensor.yr] Retrying in 16 minutes: Cannot connect to host aa015h6buqvih86i1.api.met.no:443 ssl:None [Try again] 2019-03-26 20:31:30 WARNING (SyncWorker_7) [custom_components.life360.device_tracker] Ignoring: ConnectionError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='api.life360.com', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /v3/circles.json (Caused by NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x6fec6470>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Try again')) 2019-03-26 20:31:36 ERROR (SyncWorker_7) [custom_components.life360.device_tracker] get_circles: ConnectionError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='api.life360.com', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /v3/circles.json (Caused by NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x6fec6310>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Try again')) 2019-03-26 20:31:52 ERROR (SyncWorker_3) [custom_components.life360.device_tracker] Suppressing further errors until OK: get_circles: ConnectionError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='api.life360.com', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /v3/circles.json (Caused by NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x72ee25d0>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Try again')) 2019-03-26 20:47:36 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.sensor.yr] Retrying in 19 minutes: Cannot connect to host aa015h6buqvih86i1.api.met.no:443 ssl:None [Try again]

Looks like you’re having Internet connection issues.

But from the browser the url aa015h6buqvih86i1.api.met.no is reachable…

Browser on what machine? Is that browser running in the same context as HA? Because it clearly looks like HA is having an issue reaching the Internet.

In a pc in the same network.

So a different machine, but on the same network. Well then the problem is probably on the machine HA is running on, or the context (docker, etc.???) it is running in on that machine. But since multiple components are failing it would appear the issue isn’t specific to life360.

Hassio is running on raspberry pi 3 in docker. Yes the problem is not only in life360 i think. How I can find where is the problem?

I don’t use docker so I couldn’t say. I suggest starting a new topic to ask for help with that.

I solved the problem, it was a pfsense DNS rule problem… :upside_down_face:

This isn’t really a HA issue but more of a life360 app issue…

but is there a way to get more than two defined locations in the free tier of the app?

Why don´t you define them in HA and trigger actions based on that. I have more than 2 zones in HA and it works fine. Don´t see the need to have them in Life360.

I probably could (should…) do that but I haven’t even looked at HA zones yet.

I just figured it is really easy to create a place in life360 so I was just wondering if it was possible to have more than two there.

You can create a “temporary” Circle. Unless it’s changed, that new Circle will get a free trial of their premium service, so you have however long that lasts (30 or 90 days, I don’t remember) to create as many Places in it as you like. When the trial is over, you won’t be able to create any more Places, or change the ones you’ve defined, but it won’t delete them either. At least that’s what I found. You don’t have to put anyone else in that Circle either. You can just use add_zones to get the HA life360 component to create HA zones from those Life360 Places.

But, if you actually want to use those Places within the Life360 app, then you really should pony up for the very reasonable premium fee. :slight_smile: (I finally did! :blush:)

1 Like

One advantage of HA zones is that you can make the zone smaller than the 250’ minimum diameter of Life360’s places. So you aren’t considered at work if you just drive by on a weekend.