Life360 Device Tracker Platform

Good point.

BTW, I believe the minimum radius is 250’, which would mean the minimum diameter is 500’. And you’re considered in a zone (by HA) if your device_tracker’s circle, as determined by its gps_accuracy radius, overlaps even a bit with the zone’s circle. So you can actually be further away from the center of the zone than its radius and still be considered in the zone.

I wasn’t sure but I’m not surprised. When I go for walks I arrive home and then leave again when I’m one street over or one street back.

I’m sorry if this has been asked before. Can I manually change the state of a user when I receive the life 360 overdue trigger? To change it to not home when it triggers.

Ty!

There has been a lot of discussion around this topic, specifically, if anything can be assumed by an overdue update. IMHO you can’t – the device is just as likely to be where it was last reported as somewhere else, and if it’s somewhere else there’s no reasonable assumption as to where it might be. The lack of information is simply the lack of information.

However, you can do what you want, but as I’ve hinted, I’m not sure why you would. It might be reasonable to take action based on a lack of an update, e.g. change a light, an alarm, etc., but changing the state of the device_tracker entity itself is not something that makes sense to me.

But if you really want to, you can use the device_tracker.see service to do so. But in doing so you’re basically saying the device has been seen, when it really hasn’t.

First of all I would like to give thanks to Phil for the work he has done on this
I installed the life360 tracker a few months ago on my raspberry pi 3 running hassio, and it has been working perfectly fine till now ( still works, though)
I’m currently running HA 0.90 version and since a few versions back I’m getting this warning:
Integrations need to be in their own folder. Change device_tracker/life360.py to life360/device_tracker.py. This will stop working soon

I have been following this particular Topic, and tried to correct my configuration, but I have not been able to
My current configuration has the following file structure:
/config/custom_components/life360.py and
/config/custom_components/device_tracker/life360.py

I’m not sure why I have two life360.py files, but they are different ( although have the same name)
I have tried to move either life360.py files ( as was not sure which one was the good) to a new life360 directory:
/config/custom_components/life360/device_tracker.py
Deleted any pycache folders
Stopped /restarted HA, or even rebooted, all to no avail
However, this doesn’t work and besides getting a number of errors, the GUI doesn’t provide any correct info
My current configuration.yaml is:

device_tracker: 
   - platform: life360
     username: !secret life360_username
     password: !secret life360_password
     interval_seconds: 10
     filename: life360.conf
     show_as_state: places, driving, moving
     max_update_wait:
          minutes: 30
     members:
     - Javier
     - Pili

As I said, this is currently working perfectly ( besides the warning messages)

When I moved the files to the new structure ( /config/custom_components/life360/device_tracker.py), I got some errors like these:

2019-04-06 18:43:31 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.loader] Error loading custom_components.life360.device_tracker. Make sure all dependencies are installed
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘custom_components.life360.device_tracker’; ‘custom_components.life360’ is not a package

It may well be that my installation was not done correctly, are there any installation instructions for the new structure?

Thanks

You’re welcome. :slight_smile:

Please see installation instructions here. Things changed starting with HA version 0.86.

There is only one file, and it goes here:

<config>/custom_components/life360/device_tracker.py

If you’re using the Custom Updater, make sure to use:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pnbruckner/homeassistant-config/master/custom_components.json

Let me know if you need any additional help.

Thanks Phil
That was really really quick
I’ll try that and will let you know
Javier

Phil
Managed to install life360 and both users are showing on HA Overview page
However, the old names are still showing, how can I remove them?
Also showing as sensors are: custom component tracker and custom python script tracker
I tried to hide them using Customization and “hidden”, but still showing

Any ideas?

Thanks

Great! :slight_smile:

You may need to manually edit known_devices.yaml (in your config folder.) When the device tracker component first “sees” a new device it makes an entry for it in that file, but it will never be automatically removed. So, if you make a change that causes device names to change, then new entries will be made but the old ones will just sit there until you manually remove them. That’s just how the device tracker component works.

Not sure about that. First, those aren’t my components. Second, that’s a “frontend” question and I don’t know as much about that. You might want to start a new topic about that.

Don’t worry about the old trackers, I figure out I had to remove them from the known_devices.yaml
The second issue ( custom component tracker and custom python script tracker) not being able to hide them are weird: using customize, I did try again to un-hide and hide back and now have dissappeared, but I think if I restart HA, they show back again!
Anyways, everything is now working well

Thanks again

1 Like

I have added the life360 to the custom components, checked the config and was all fine.
I have restarted home assistant but nothing was shown in the badges.
Does this mean it hasn’t worked properly?

but did you actually check in either the dev-states are or in the device_tracker.yaml for new life360 entities?

I haven’t even got a device_tracker.yaml file. I am assume this is created when the setup is done correctly.
In custom_components, device_tracker I had to rename the file from device_tracker to life360 as the config said
Platform not found: device_tracker.life360
Is this a problem?

yeah, sorry. i don’t know why i said that. i meant known_devices.yaml.

my bad.

Seems like you might be using some out-of-date instructions. Please see the doc page and let me know if you still have problems after following those installation instructions.

can you tell me how to completely remove this add-on? it is still showing up in my states history after deleting the add-on files and the entry in known_devices.yaml. i am not sure if something else is still lurking in my install of this add-on.

If you removed the life360 entry in your configuration then this component will no longer be loaded and run. If you further remove the corresponding device entries in known_devices.yaml, then the entities will no longer exist in the HA state machine. (You can remove the code from custom_components/life360, but that’s not necessary.)

The history is another story. What you’re seeing is old data still in the database. Eventually it should be purged, just like any other HA entity that existed but no longer does.

Since I upgrade HA and made the necessary changes the script will not run and I do not know why.
Steps taken was: stopped ha, deleted old .py and cache files, downloaded new version of Life360 and then started HA. The text I get in the log is:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/homeassistant/components/device_tracker/init.py”, line 184, in async_setup_platform
disc_info)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/concurrent/futures/thread.py”, line 57, in run
result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
File “/config/custom_components/life360/device_tracker.py”, line 122, in setup_scanner
from custom_components.life360 import life360
ImportError: cannot import name ‘life360’ from ‘custom_components.life360’ (unknown location)

Any suggestions?

it doesn’t sound like you have the folder structure correct for the new version

it needs to be:

custom_components/life360/device_tracker.py

path is correct, validated again and again already because that was my initial thoughts also, even created manually from ssh… =(