Life360 Device Tracker Platform

Well it definitely appears to be running but I don’t see it updating any members. Can you share your life360 HA config? You can PM me if you prefer.

Maybe you just didn’t post them, but are you seeing messages like these:

2019-04-30 17:13:15 DEBUG (SyncWorker_18) [custom_components.life360.device_tracker] Checking Places
2019-04-30 17:13:15 DEBUG (SyncWorker_18) [custom_components.life360.device_tracker] Updating zone from Place: Home: xx.xxx, xx.xxx, xxx.x
2019-04-30 17:13:15 DEBUG (SyncWorker_18) [custom_components.life360.device_tracker] Adding zones from Places: ...
2019-04-30 17:13:15 DEBUG (SyncWorker_18) [custom_components.life360.device_tracker] Will check Places every: 0:15:00
2019-04-30 17:13:15 DEBUG (SyncWorker_18) [custom_components.life360.device_tracker] Updating life360_xxx
2019-04-30 17:13:15 DEBUG (SyncWorker_18) [custom_components.life360.device_tracker] Updating life360_yyy
2019-04-30 17:13:15 DEBUG (SyncWorker_18) [custom_components.life360.device_tracker] Updating life360_zzz
2019-04-30 17:13:15 DEBUG (SyncWorker_18) [custom_components.life360.device_tracker] Setup successful!

Hi Phil,

I have also followed your latest guide and installed your life360
integration and all appears to have gone ok, but when you go into HA it doesn’t seem to have created my life360 users or their badges.

I have checked that the files were created by the custom_components script and and that the life360.conf file was created. If I look at my known_devices.yaml there is a weird device in there but I don’t think it is one of my life360 users. (see attached image). I re-ran the custom_updater.install service and it is now showing on the Updates card for Custom Components that device_tracker.life360 is now installed.

I have enabled logger this morning and configured it to life360 debug mode as you suggested in your message to Bruce, and attached the log that shows the life360 events. I have also attached my life360 configuration and automation’s from my configuration.yaml.

I am using version 2.9.5 of the integration and I am running version 0.92.1 of hass.io

I don’t know where to go from here and I would really appreciate it if you could point out where I am going wrong please.

Thank you

Paul

custom_components%20life360%20files

I’m guessing you’re running into the same misconfiguration issue that Bruce did. You are specifying a Life360 Member with:

members:
    - Paul, SOMETHING

Do you only want that one Member tracked? Is that Member’s name exactly “Paul SOMETHING” (case insensitive) in Life360?

When you use the optional members configuration variable, you’re telling it to only create device_tracker entities for the listed Life360 Members. So, in order for a Member to be tracked, their name in Life360 must match one of the listed names in the Home Assistant life360 configuration’s members variable.

Bottom line:

1. I suspect there is no Life360 Member in your Life360 Circle(s) whose name is “Paul SOMETHING”.
  2. If you want it to track all the Life360 Members in all your Life360 Circles, then just remove the members configuration variable, because the default is to create device_tracker entities for all the members.
1 Like

Thanks Phil. I got there in the end.

Great work by the way.

Regards

Rob

1 Like

Hi Phil,

I have also followed your latest guide and installed your life360:disappointed_relieved:

Configuration invalidCHECK CONFIG

Integration not found: introduction Invalid config for [device_tracker.life360]: List cannot be empty for dictionary value @ data[‘members’]. Got None. (See ?, line ?). Please check the docs at https://home-assistant.io/components/device_tracker.life360/

Hi Phil,

That was it, thank you

The blanked out name was my partner and she is a member of my life360 circle as well, so not sure why it wasn’t creating the entities.

But it’s working now, so that is all that matters :grinning:

@nonikhan786 @riddledaxis

It seems the optional feature whereby you can limit which Life360 Members will be included is causing people problems. I think the main reason is that the Life360 website and app both show only Members’ first names, but not their last names. But when the HA component interacts with the Life360 server, it sees (and uses) both first and last names.

First, I’m trying to address this issue in the version I’m submitting to become a standard component, by making the configuration a bit more explicit, and by logging names and the resultant device_tracker “device IDs” that they generate if DEBUG is enabled. (The “device IDs” are the keys in known_devices.yaml, and the second part of the device_tracker entity_id’s.)

Second, I created a Python script that can be used to list out the names of all the Life360 Circles the username you’re using has access to, and to list out all the full names of the Members and Places in each of those Circles. Hopefully this will help make it clearer ahead of time what names to use in your life360 Home Assistant configuration.

The script is available here. It requires the life360 package to be installed. If you run this script in Home Assistant’s “environment” (venv, whatever), then it should already be installed (assuming you’ve installed my custom component and run it at least once.) If you can’t do that, then you should be able to install it with:

python3 -m pip install --user life360

Run the script like this:

python3 list_life360.py LIFE360_USERNAME LIFE360_PASSWORD

Where, of course, you specify your Life360 username and password. You should get output like this:

Circle: My Family
  Members:
    Joe Smith
    Jane Smith
    Child1
  Places:
    Home
    School
    Work

@pnbruckner, if I may make a suggestion - if I were you, I’d completely remove the configuration option for specifying which members to track. First off, it’s obviously causing issues and those will only be exacerbated if it’s an official component with a wider userbase. Second, the device_tracker scope already includes the ability to set track: false in known_devices.yaml. All of the device trackers I’ve used rely on that, none give the ability to filter devices at the integration configuration level. Granted, I’ve only used a handful but it includes Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and GPS trackers.

The API call includes info for all members regardless, no? So it seems to me that removing the configuration of members wouldn’t add any overhead and simplify the whole process - the user configures life360, all members of the circle show up in known_devices, they set track: false for anyone they don’t want tracked. This is all in line with most (if not all) official device trackers, and much simpler than all the effort from you and the user to figure out how the member is represented in the API.

Just my $0.02.

Im getting this error.

“Integration life360 not found when trying to verify its device_tracker platform.”

I have been using this addon for almost a year and love it. Its critical to my system as many other things are built around it being in a working state.

This happened today after I altered my “known_devices.yaml” I did not change anything to do with the life360 entries. i just rearranged a few phones into a phone’s “group/list” like this:

Phone’s_&_Tablets’s

galaxy_note9:
hide_if_away: false
icon: mdi:cellphone-android
mac: #############
name: " Samsung Galaxy Note9"
picture: /local/gggg_pic.jpg
track: true

galaxy_s5:
name: “Samsung Galaxy S5”
picture: /local/cccc_pic.jpg

pixel_2_xl:
name: “Pixel 2 XL”
picture: /local/me_pic.jpg

android_alfred_cam:
icon: mdi:cellphone-wireless
name: “Alfred Cam”
picture: /local/alfred_security_camera.jpg

digiland_tablet:
icon: mdi:tablet-android
name: “DigiLand Tablet”
picture: /local/digiland_tablet.jpg

win_phone_1:
icon: mdi:windows-classic
name: “Windows Phone 1”
picture: /local/windows-phone-logo.jpg

Next Section

if anyone can help please do it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll consider it. The only reason I might not remove the feature is, I didn’t have the feature at first and it was specifically requested. I don’t recall the exact scenario. I’d have to go back and search through the previous 800+ posts to try and find it. :wink: It might not be as simple as setting track to false (although, right now, I can’t see why not.)

Can’t see how modifying known_devices.yaml could lead to that error. Something else must have changed. Make sure you have the latest & greatest life360 custom integration (2.9.5) installed. Also, try changing known_devices.yaml back to what it was (although, again, can’t see how that has anything to do with the error message you’re seeing.)

that is the only thing ive changed in the last week been at work looked at HASSIO saw new badges for misc devices decided to clean house a bit by rearranging know_devices.yaml and then i clicked validate configuration and got this error. im scared to reboot the linux box “native generic install of hassio on linux server 19.04”

do you know if updating from a very old version will screw up anything…??

PS how to check version?

What version of HA are you using? Did you upgrade HA lately?

The version of the life360 custom component/integration can be seen in its .py files. Look for a line that starts with:

__version__ =

inside of

\my-domain.duckdns.org\config\custom_components\life360\device_tracker.py
it shows this
“”
requires version
life360==2.2.0
“”

last week perhaps i updated hassio…

version is

Information
Hass.io supervisor
Version 162
Latest version 162

Host system
Hostname ########
System Ubuntu 18.10

Sorry i said Ubuntu 19.04 but its 18.10

I didn’t ask about hassio. What is the Home Assistant version?

developer tool info
about tab
shows this

Home Assistant

Ok, then you need to use at least version 2.9.4 (2.9.5 is the latest) of the custom life360 component/integration. Older versions no longer work on HA 0.92.0 or later.

You also didn’t say what life360 version you were using. The __version__ line will be in one of these files, depending on what version you installed, and what version of HA you were using at the time:

/config/custom_components/device_tracker/life360.py
/config/custom_components/life360/device_tracker.py
/config/custom_components/life360/__init__.py

Once you install 2.9.4 or later you should have these files:

/config/custom_components/life360/device_tracker.py
/config/custom_components/life360/__init__.py
/config/custom_components/life360/manifest.json

Any other, older life360-related files under /config/custom_components should be deleted.

sorry I took so long
its version…

version = ‘2.8.0’

I migrated from Pi in november i think.

so any advice on best way to update?