Life360 Device Tracker Platform

Thank you Phil for your quick reply. It works now correctly.

1 Like

Hi all,
I’m installing life360 component into a home assistant (under raspbian) and it is not working. When I tried to configure everything, it looks like that I can’t connect to Home Assistant. It says “Unable to connect to home assistant”. Checking the log file, there is no error in it. Furthermore, I see that it doesn’t create life360.conf neither the known_devices file.

Same configuration with hassio in a VM in Virtualbox and everything works like a charm. Same files for the life360 components and same configuration for configuration.yaml.

Any idea?

Are you trying to use the old custom component/integration, or the newer built-in integration? The new built-in integration does not create life360.conf.

I tried yours: https://github.com/pnbruckner/homeassistant-config
With Hassio works fine. With Home Assistant (installed over raspbian), it doesn’t.

device_tracker: 
  - platform: life360
    username: my_username
    password: my_password
    interval_seconds: 10
    filename: life360.conf
    show_as_state: places, driving, moving
    max_update_wait:
     minutes: 30

You should not use mine anymore. I’m not supporting it since it has been integrated directly into HA as a standard integration. Please try the standard integration and let me know if you have any questions or run into any problems. FYI, since you started with my custom integration, see these transition instructions.

I’m playing around with a new test setup of hassio and when looking at the docs for setting up the Life360 integration it took me a bit to figure out exactly what it was saying for how to enter the advanced configuration. I’ll gladly submit a change to the docs top help clarify if necessary but before I do I want to make sure I’m not missing something.

So, to enter any advanced configuration options (anything more than username and password for the account) that must all be done manually in the configuration.yaml and can’t be done thru the integration UI. Is that correct?

Yes, that is correct. And, sorry, I fail to see what’s confusing about the documentation with regards to what is required to configure advanced options. But if you can word it better, by all means.

Sorry, no offense meant.

I was thinking that since the basic account config was able to be done in the UI I assumed (wrongly) that the rest of the config could be done there too. I pecked around a bit before I decided that the advanced stuff probably needed to be done manually in the config.

No offense taken.

I would have preferred to been able to do all the configuration via the UI, but at the time I wrote it, there was no infrastructure for doing so. Although I haven’t yet looked into the details, I believe such an infrastructure is being implemented, so maybe some day…

Seriously, if you can find a better way to word the documentation to make it clearer, have at it.

Already submitted. :slightly_smiling_face:

Can you provide a link? I looked in https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant.io/pulls and didn’t see anything. Just curious.

https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant.io/pull/10647

I upgrade to 0.100.3
now life360 is getting errors

Configuration invalidCHECK CONFIG

Platform error device_tracker.life360 - cannot import name ‘run_coroutine_threadsafe’ from ‘homeassistant.util.async_’ (/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/util/async_.py)

This location (\HASSIO\config\custom_components\life360) i deleted everything and put init , device_tracker and manifest back into this directory.

I am still getting this error.

1 Like

I’m also seeing this error. Is it a bug?

I rolled back

and @Adam_Sheppard

Please see the first post in this topic. The custom integration is no longer supported. Please use the standard integration.

I use Life360 and really like it, however I have always wondered why the history bar shows different colors for the same state?

In below example “Hemma” (Home) is both purple and orange

Are you using the custom integration or the standard integration? What version of HA are you using? Also, what is you life360 configuration (don’t forget to redact the sensitive information)?

I am using standard integration and are running Hassio v 0.100.3

Since I use the standard integration I don’t have anything in config.yaml for life360 other than proximity add-on

Below the history from today, home shows up both as light blue and orange

Sorry, I have no idea what “proximity add-on” is.

Unfortunately for both pictures you provided it doesn’t show what the “second home” value actually is. Is it also “Hemma”, or is it “Home”?

Bottom line is this isn’t decided by the life360 integration. It only provides GPS coordinates. The state of the device_tracker entity is decided by the device_tracker component level code and depends on how you have your zones defined.