Life360 Officially Supported Integration

Continuing the discussion from Life360 Device Tracker Platform:

See also: Life360 stopped authenticating again · Issue #105816 · home-assistant/core (github.com)

Please work with Life360 to develop an officially supported integration.

EDIT:

Please limit discussion in this topic to the desire, likelihood, etc. of negotiating and establishing a supported integration between Home Assistant & Life360, and to vote for such.

There are plenty of other topics for discussing the advantages & disadvantages of the currently available device tracker integrations.

I’m curious how we would get a supported integration? Does life360 offer an open api currently?

By someone “high up” in the HA organization contacting Life360 directly and negotiating something. Haven’t they done that with other service providers before? I don’t see any other obvious way to make it work consistently and reliably.

1 Like

Typically it’s the other way around. They sign up for the Works with Home assistant program and assist with creating the integration (in some way).

Life360, wasn’t that the service that was caught mass selling precise location data of its users without consent a couple of years ago?

Doubt they would be interested in providing an open and local API…

4 Likes

I let someone in NabuCasa know the situation.

7 Likes

No harm in reaching out to them though. Which may happen. I foresee a reachout, a non response, a blog post updating everyone on the situation, followed by the removal of life360 from HA.

Here’s to hoping that doesn’t happen.

I don’t use it but I have some distant relatives that do. He was able to track his stolen phone down to the address with it. He also mentioned that it didn’t chew up his battery life. After hearing that, I was thinking about giving it a try.

4 Likes

When I logged in this morning it said that I had a device that needed configuration.
Went to integrations and it showed Life360 needed to be resetup.
It will not allow me to do that.
What is the best way to remove the “Discovered” device.

2 Likes

Same here Carlton! Stuck on how to remove it…

I’ve been using it for several years and it doesn’t consume much battery, 8% battery in a full day

1 Like

Go to the Settings → Devices & Services → Integrations page. Ignore the box that says it needs reauthorization. Below that should be another Life360 box. Click on it, and in the Integration entries area, click the three dots and select Delete.

2 Likes

That was changed, and the HA alert was removed.

Seems that they have changed the authentication type, once I input my email address, I receive a text with a code to input into the app to continue the login. No password prompt at all.

Did you have to completely delete the integration first?

It may not consume much battery, but it will consume your privacy. I haven’t checked if they claim to have improved their ways, but I don’t trust them if they say they did:

1 Like

Same happened to me… this have anything to do with it? Perhaps its not liking authentication from multiple devices. If thats the case, I might try creating a new gmail account and using the + operator…
==edit== non starter. Cant do it. Its doing a phone number check… grr…

That is old news. Wish people would stop reposting without first checking for the update. FWIW, the HA core team was satisfied by the updated information, because they took down the associated HA alert.

5 Likes

But still relevant.

We may disclose this information within Life360, with our subsidiaries, and with third parties for our or their purposes in an anonymized or aggregated form that is designed to prevent anyone from identifying you.

Anonymized OR aggregated. So they can sell singular anonymized data. Of person X staying at the Whitehouse every night. But they won’t tell any one who it is. Other than that he or she often travels the same route, at the same time as Air Force One. Anonymously.

1 Like

You can and must opt out of majority of track sell options

:laughing: :rofl: :joy:

1 Like