LightwaveRF Mood Switch not working as expected

Hi everyone, new user here!

As a former Domoticz user I already have an RFXCOM transceiver and some LightwaveRF kit.

I’ve got my transceiver configured and working with some temperature sensors, but I was hoping I could get it working with a JSJSLW101WH 6 button mood switch.

If I press the big on/off buttons, the switch is auto discovered, and its “state” shows as “off” or “on”. However, when I press the smaller mood buttons the “state” doesn’t change.

According to this thread the state should change to “mood1” etc… Automation to react on an rfxtrx event

Any ideas?

Here’s some logging from when I press the “Off” button.

2019-01-12 19:00:36 DEBUG (Thread-3) [homeassistant.components.rfxtrx] Receive RFXCOM event from (Device_id: f345fa_1 Class: LightingDevice Sub: 0, Pkt_id: 0a140013f345fa01000050)
2019-01-12 19:00:36 DEBUG (Thread-3) [homeassistant.components.rfxtrx] Device_id: f345fa_1 device_update. Command: Off
2019-01-12 19:00:36 DEBUG (Thread-3) [homeassistant.components.rfxtrx] Rfxtrx fired event: (event_type: button_pressed, entity_id: switch.living_room_mood, state: off)
2019-01-12 19:00:36 DEBUG (Thread-3) [homeassistant.components.rfxtrx] Receive RFXCOM event from (Device_id: f345fa_1 Class: LightingDevice Sub: 0, Pkt_id: 0a140014f345fa01000050)
2019-01-12 19:00:36 DEBUG (Thread-3) [homeassistant.components.rfxtrx] Device_id: f345fa_1 device_update. Command: Off
2019-01-12 19:00:36 DEBUG (Thread-3) [homeassistant.components.rfxtrx] Rfxtrx fired event: (event_type: button_pressed, entity_id: switch.living_room_mood, state: off)

And this is all I get when pressing a “mood” button.

2019-01-12 19:02:40 DEBUG (Thread-3) [homeassistant.components.rfxtrx] Receive RFXCOM event from (Device_id: f345fa_16 Class: LightingDevice Sub: 0, Pkt_id: 0a14001af345fa10030050)

Looks like it has a slightly different Device_id?

I’ve got it working!

I noticed that the Pkt_id was also slightly different, so I configured another switch using that ID:

switch:
  - platform: rfxtrx
    devices:
      0a140001f345fa01010050:
        name: living_room_mood    
        fire_event: true  
      0a14001af345fa10030050:
        name: test
        fire_event: true

I could then see the “mood1” state in the log, coming from that second switch. Wiring it up inside an automation also worked (as per the linked thread).

So it seems that the missing step (for me) was treating the physical switch as 2 logical switches.

Interesting it is only one switch in my setup. Does the new switch work on all buttons? If so I’d use that.

Hmmm, I don’t know, I’ll need to check that.

Is your switch the exact same model number?

I’m pretty sure it is (except yours looks to be the white one) but I’ll check it when I get home. I’ve used it in Domoticz, Openhab and Home Assistant and it’s only ever had one ID.

That being said I had to delete and readd some bits so maybe the ID can get slightly corrupted when being added for the first time.

Anyone upgraded to 0.113?

This seems to break mood switches for me - only the main on/off buttons ID is detected, not the secondary ID with the 4 smaller buttons (as above, I had 2, one for main on/off, one for the 4 smaller mood buttons).

Even trying to use the ‘automatic_add’ feature in 0.113, the only button presses that are detected and create devices/entities are the main on/off.

yeah i have and my Mood switches are broken.
If you turn on debugging in the logs and on the rfxtrx there you will see the event data which could be used in Automation.

I have noticed that the states on the switches do not update the state is alwayss off.

hey there, I’ve been documenting my adventures in the below thread:

Have rolled back for now, going to wait until 0.114, when I believe they’re (hopefully) going to reintroduce the ‘Name’ option to make migrating easier. Lack the time and patience to go through everything one by one :slight_smile:

Wrote a short guide in case people have issues in the future