LILYGO TTGO T-Internet-POE ESP32-WROOM LAN8270A

Has anyone managed to get this board to work with ESPhome?

It is mentioned in the ESPHome documentation but I can’t get it to work. I’ve got the additional programming module but esphomeflasher doesn’t recognise it so I’m either doing something wrong or have a bad board.

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

Are you using the programmer card ? The normal USB board is for power only.

I don’t have the board, I’m looking into finding a (cheap) board for using with ESPhome which has POE (and preferably also a case). This board is on my short list as well, I’m trying to find info about these boards…

Sorry, missed this. Yes, I am using the programmer card - I have two boards and two cards and both do the same so unlikely to be a board fault.

Good luck with that, I have given up with Lilygo hardware since a long time (poorly designed, no support and no code up-to-date to work with their boards, just a nightmare each time to get them working …

1 Like

Well, based on my current experience I have two paperweights - and not particularly good ones at that - so I’m not going to argue with you!

I got Tasmota on there without much effort, maybe give that a try?

I’ve never used that but will go and have a look.

What did you think of them once you got them working? Are they any good? Once you got Tasmota going, did you find a way to integrate them to HASS / ESPHome?

Apologies for all the questions!

@PaulNL
I am looking for similar solution. Can you kindly share your experience and what finally have you selected ?

Has a full featured usb port for programming as well

I was having the same disaster til I realised the programmer board fits from the underside of the PCB not the top. Worked first time using ESPHomeFlasher as soon as I actually connected it properly, and is now happily running some BLE bits with Xaomi sensors.

I started with these Olimex boards - and am looking for an alternative after having most boards fail quickly. In some cases getting less than 48 hours use from them. It’s a real pity as I like their features.

You’ve made me question myself on this! I’ll re-test and report back. Thanks.

1 Like

OK, mea culpa (well mostly)! The board works when you plug it in the correct way around but you also need to use the correct USB cable! Thank you @jonathanpearce

First, the code:

esphome:
  name: test_lilygo
  platform: ESP32
  board: esp-wrover-kit

ethernet:
  type: LAN8720
  mdc_pin: GPIO23
  mdio_pin: GPIO18
  clk_mode: GPIO17_OUT
  phy_addr: 0

# Enable logging
logger:

# Enable Home Assistant API
api:
ota:

I’m not sure about the board type, I’ll try a few others to try to find the most suitable one but the basic ESP32 board works.

The USB C cable connector is a bit strange - a few of my decent quality USB C to USB C cables don’t work when plugged into the board itself (there is no power) yet a cheapo USB A to USB C cable works fine.

I’ll test this for a while and report back.

Thanks again!

1 Like

What board type did you end up using, please, @jonathanpearce ?

Looking forward for more information related to stability and performance of Lilygo.
Lilygo module seem to be half price of Olimex (app.13€ vs. 24€).

My config - not saying it’s right but it’s working.

esphome:
  name: $hostname
  board: esp-wrover-kit
logger:
ota:
api:
time:
  - platform: homeassistant
    id: homeassistant_time 
ethernet:
  type: LAN8720
  mdc_pin: GPIO23
  mdio_pin: GPIO18
  clk_mode: GPIO17_OUT
  phy_addr: 0

Reliability wise, I’ve only been running it for less than a week but no concerns so far.

Thank you - looks like we ended up with the same config!

Thank you for this. Used the Lilygo POE unit and it works well. No more lost wifi connection issues or needing local power.

Hi,
I’m using the same model, quick question:
the output pins are only 6 (4,14,15,16,32,33), correct?
what about the 34,35,36,39?

regards

This is my current configuration for the LilyGo ESP32 POE and all is working great.

esphome:
  name: poe-esp32
  board: esp32dev

#enable project name
  project:
    name: "matts.poe_esp32"
    version: "1.0.0"

# Enable logging
logger:

# Enable Home Assistant API
api: