Linear NGDZ00-4 Garage Door

Any you didn’t have Home Assistant running while running the commands right?

I dont believe so, but I can run them again.

Hmm, that might have been it. I swore I had it stopped, but when running the install I got a message about .43 being unintstalled, then .44 was installed. So, I’m going to remove and readd. Do I need to do anything special for the Cover to appear for me to be able to open or close the door?

Thanks again

So, no difference, Here is one “weird” thing though. When I upodated to 0.4.4, I went back and the garage door nodes seemed to be named properly, they did not have the word unknown in them. I still did not have any way that I could see to open or close the door, so I removed and did a secure add, it added, and now everything says unknow again just like in the picture above.

I’ve scanned through most of these posts. I need to do anything other than run the few commands(the script you provided), right?

Is this what I should see as the first line?

018-04-28 19:52:58.100 Always, OpenZwave Version 1.4.2926 Starting Up

If not, what should I see.

I will say that I had one minor difference
My vm path was different from
/srv/homeassistant/homeassistant_venv/bin/activate

$ sudo su -s /bin/bash homeassistant
$ cd /srv/homeassistant
$ source bin/activate

I did that instead? Would that cause any issues? I dont think so, but maybe otherthigns expect a different path?

My version shows up as 1.5.2717.

Did you get any errors while it was compiling?

Check for similarly named: libopenzwave.cpython-35m.so the numbers could be diffrent.
Example location: /srv/homeassistant/homeassistant_venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/libopenzwave.cpython-35m.so

You can remove this file and re-run the commands to make sure it gets recompiled.

Here is my output. I am running python 3.6. Output below, but…
2018-04-28 20:36:48.648 Always, OpenZwave Version 1.4.2926 Starting Up
is still the output

Requirement already up-to-date: cython==0.24.1 in /srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages (0.24.1)
(homeassistant) homeassistant@hass:/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages$ pip3 uninstall -y python_openzwave
Uninstalling python-openzwave-0.4.3:
Successfully uninstalled python-openzwave-0.4.3
(homeassistant) homeassistant@hass:/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages$ exit
exit
ptdalen@hass:/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages$ sudo systemctl stop [email protected]
ptdalen@hass:/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages$ sudo -H -u homeassistant /bin/bash
homeassistant@hass:/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages$ source /srv/homeassistant/bin/activate
(homeassistant) homeassistant@hass:/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages$ pip3 install --upgrade cython==0.24.
Requirement already up-to-date: cython==0.24.1 in /srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages (0.24.1)
(homeassistant) homeassistant@hass:/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages$ pip3 uninstall -y python_openzwave
Skipping python-openzwave as it is not installed.
(homeassistant) homeassistant@hass:/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages$ pip3 install --no-cache-dir ‘python_
openzwave==0.4.4’ --install-option="–flavor=ozwdev"
/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pip/_internal/commands/install.py:199: UserWarning: Disabling all use of wheels due to the use of --build-options / --global-options / --install-options.
cmdoptions.check_install_build_global(options)
Collecting python_openzwave==0.4.4
Downloading https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/3d/dd/cc2ea896759a19b8cc25d7ce1169ca1133042e8cfc0f6ca557b1e4bec9d5/python_openzwave-0.4.4.zip (137kB)
100% |████████████████████████████████| 143kB 3.6MB/s
Requirement already satisfied: six in /srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages (from python_openzwave==0.4.4) (1.11.0)
Requirement already satisfied: PyDispatcher>=2.0.5 in /srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages (from python_openzwave==0.4.4) (2.0.5)
Installing collected packages: python-openzwave
Installing collected packages: python-openzwave
Running setup.py install for python-openzwave …
/
done
Successfully installed python-openzwave-0.4.4

It seems like HomeAssistant is reinstalling 0.4.3 over your 0.4.4 install.

Modify the file __init__.py in /srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/zwave and change the line:
REQUIREMENTS = [ pydispatcher==2.0.5', 'python_openzwave=0.4.3' ]
to
REQUIREMENTS = [ pydispatcher==2.0.5', 'python_openzwave=0.4.4' ]

basicly it’s undoing your work when you start Home Assistant up again :scream:

success

2018-04-28 20:52:23.430 Always, OpenZwave Version 1.5.0 Starting Up

Now to see how the garage door does.

I will say, that it “looks” like I lost all my customization on my other zwave devices. We’ll see. Waiting for things to catch up. Might restart a couple times just to make sure

I’ve found that service home-assistant restart doesn’t shut down openzwave properly and will screw up your .xml for it.

There is a possibility you may need to rename entities in the entity_registry.yaml, but that’s not too bad.

Good news is that the garage door works! Thanks so much for the help and patience.

Yeah, it looks like all the switches and dimmers got reanmed

They were switch.switch1, switch.switch2, etc, and now they are switch.zwave_22373899280, etc.

What is the best approach. Just give friendly names, update my groups.yaml, etc or can I rename the switch.zwave to something nicer. No worries either way, I’m almost there.

Thanks again

Edit entity_registry.yaml in /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/

example:

change:
switch.zwave_22373899280:
to
switch.switch1:

Again make sure home-assistant isn’t running when editing.

Awesome, Now I just have to figure out which ones are witch. I might just go ahead and give the better names if I’m gonna do that.

Thanks again, very happy with everything right now

Also if you want to be sure HA won’t uninstall/reinstall the ozwdev flavor you could just pip3 install --no-cache-dir 'python_openzwave==0.4.3' --install-option="--flavor=ozwdev" in the script/commands.

This is because when you update the __init__.py will get put back to 0.4.3 as the requirement.

Thanks! Can you tell me where the scripts commands is? I did update today to 68.0 and as you expected It overwrote my work. :slight_smile:

haha, lesson learned. Should have read 1st.

Post 552

Copy/paste that into a new file called “update_zwave.sh”
Make sure to modify your directories, and you can change the zwave version to 0.4.3.
Then chmod 754 update_zwave.sh
Once chmod’ed you can sudo ./update_zwave.sh and it will complete the task on it’s own.

Thanks, I misunderstood, that makes sense. Are you saying that if I run both the .4.3 and 4.4 like this? And once that’s done new versions of HA wont over write my version .4.4?

Also I have 1.5.0 and you have 1.5.2717. How do I get to that version? Any reason not to get that version?

if [ "$(id -u)" != "0" ]; then
echo "This script must be run with sudo. Use \"sudo ${0} ${*}\"" 1>&2
exit 1
fi

echo "Changing to user homeassistant"
sudo -H -u homeassistant /bin/bash <<EOF
echo "Activating virtual environment"
source /srv/homeassistant/homeassistant_venv/bin/activate

# install cython if not already installed
pip3 install --upgrade cython==0.24.1

# remove previously install python_openzwave
pip3 uninstall -y python_openzwave

# install ozwdev flavor of python_openzwave
pip3 install --no-cache-dir 'python_openzwave==0.4.3' --install-option="--flavor=ozwdev"
pip3 install --no-cache-dir 'python_openzwave==0.4.4' --install-option="--flavor=ozwdev"

echo "Deactivating virtual environment"
deactivate
EOF
exit 0

leave the 0.4.4 out

1.5.0 is fine

Cool deal. And I know this is a dumb question, but 0.4.3 will still have the garage door capabilities? Any pros/cons? Thank you btw it’s great to have access to my garage door opener, but additionally I’ve learned a lot.