Local_calendar ics file import option

It would be great to be able to import an ICS file into local calendar. For instance, my local trash collecting service provides a ics file for download that would be great to add to the local calendar.

Of course, uploading an .ics file is the “non-connected” way of working,
alternatively, one should be able to add a link to an online .ics file.

Yeah agreed this would be good. Right now the local file storage is an .ics file so you can technically swap out the storage file when home assistant is off, but allowing an import from a URL would be ideal.

One question I have is how often to update or if this is a one time import in a config flow. I could also see supporting a service call to import in a schedule you desire…

2 Likes

The use case i was seeing, is just a one time import.

Agreed, if it is an online link then a regular update probably should be part of it (or, make this configurable).

2 Likes

I too would love this feature. I’m trying to move away from relying on Google and have all my calendars saved but with no way of importing them into HA.

This feature would be great. Meanwhile, where can I find the ics files of the internal calendar on a home assistant os system ? I cant find them anywhere… What is the path ?

/config/.storage is the location; the dot means it’s a hidden folder by default.

Thank you very much.

Doesn’t have to be off. I simply added a dummy event to make HA write the ics file to disc initially, then opened it in the FileEditor addon and replaced the contents with the ones from my ics file. Then restarted HA and my events were all “imported”. A native option is nicer of course.

3 Likes

In which folder do you find the correct file? I’d like to do the same as the topic starter, since I’m planning to make some automations based on the trash collection. I’d like to do it local with the ical file.

Makes total sense, so we could download ics files from locations and import them. I see huge potential for school calendars and also trash calendars

3 Likes

@daywalker03 @Soukyuu what is the file name in that location? I don’t see anything obvious i.e. *.ics

Thanks, that worked, easy fix! For info the file name and path will be /config/.storage/local_calendar.name_of_your_calendar.ics

1 Like

I’d like this with live calendars,

• Trash changes sometimes
  • F1 calendar to inform me a session starts
  • Birthday calendar so every user in the house gets notifications
  • School calendar for important events for the children (changes by the day)

Is there a way to script a refresh every x hours so the
/config/.storage/local_calendar.name_of_your_calendar.ics
gets live data from an ICS url? Can’t think of a way to push data into that location.

Hello all - trying to import my local ics calendar into HA. I’ve checked the above location “/config/.storage/” but there is no calendar there even though I have one configured. Can I just copy or upload a file for HA to automatically recognize?

Hi!

just copy / upload your .ics file to path (example)
/config/.storage/local_calendar.school_bell.ics

goto http://homeassistant.local:8123/developer-tools/service

execute
service: homeassistant.reload_config_entry
data: {}
target:
  entity_id: calendar.school_bell

where calendar.school_bell is name of calendar identity

That’s all.

Okay I copied the file to the location described:
/config/.storage/local_calendar.RHS23-24.ics

Then I went developer-tools/services and input the following:

But I get an error - Failed something. What am I missing? Do I need to create the local calendar entry first?

Ok. Let’s go step by step, ok?
Go to UI and create manually empty calendar. Just create a new calendar. You may create a new item here as well.
A new calendar also you can see at the left menu at your HA dashboard.
At this step in HASS folder /config/.storage/ you can see a new .ics file with name entity what you create a 1 minutes ago.
Please do not move next while you a not pretty sure :wink: what you can see a new brand file :wink: in HASS folder.
The next step is very easy - just replace - override this file with own. Attention again :wink: please keep name as is! Do not need to rename etc file. Ok?
The last step is reloading calendar in HASS. Just GOTO to dev menu and make a some magic like you show before in the screenshot.
That’s all talks :wink: (c)

2 Likes

And btw. Keep in mind what name in Unix is case sensitive!
RHS23-24.ics And rhs23-24.ics and rHs23-24.ICS two big differences

1 Like

Thank you for the complete explanation. I guess I missed the fact that I needed to use the UI to create the calendar in the first place. Now everything is working!!

1 Like

Hi guys, I followed @10der his instructions but somehow something goes wrong.

I had an empty calendar and put the ics in place with the same name: no result.
Then I created a new calendar and put the ics in place with the new name: no result either. (it seems I had to add an event so that the ics file in HA gets created)
Next, deleted all calendars and started over again: no result.

What happens also: after reloading the service the calendar is gone from the calendar application whereas it still shows up in the integration but the entity is unavailable.
I checked the linux file permissions and they are OK so it’s not that.

What am I missing?