Local DNS!

this, totally.
now…rest assured, using .local is not a bad idea (whatever some people ‘in-the-know’ around here are claiming).
also…dns in Home Assistant is broken since the apparition of CoreDNS, but ‘they’ (those Ivory-tower devs) are pointing fingers to ‘our’ (lowly users) bad network configurations. Problem is, there’s more & more people starting to complain.
but…personally I’ve given up the fight, and am doing a ha restart dns every so often, according to a developer this is something I’ll just have to live with. Looking at you, @pvizeli .

@balloob The community is still the greatest I’ve ever seen - for an open source project, but the top of the pyramid…ehh…not so much.
Can ya tell I’m frustrated ?

1 Like

Hi,

there is more than a single thing wrong with hass.io
Remember one of the Head is from switzerland and parts of the swiss speaks german.
In German the word hass is the same as the word hate in english :wink:

1. get rid of hass.io or whatever its called now
  2. if you didnt want to add a cronjob with something like
    docker exec -it homeassistant sh -c 'echo nameserver 8.8.8.8>/etc/resolv.conf'
    you need to run this ecerytime ha is restarted.

So vest way is to take YOUR HA setup in YOUR HANDS and smile the mistakes from these “Developer skriptkiddies” away.

HA without HASS works like a charm eg. things like tasmoadmin runs fine you just need to dig into the manuals.
cheers

1 Like

Strange. Until today I thought the word “hass” in German is a noun and therefore has to start with a capital letter :nerd_face:

And who might be ment as those “Developer skriptkiddies”? :thinking:
Me myself would not install nor use anything developed by Scriptkiddies!

(OT)
Nice catch
But if your looking carfully you might notice that i own a new Notebook with another keyboardlayout and some of the chars are one key offset.
Ich hasse dich (now the Noun becomes a adjektive)
TbH i really dont know if i called one of the “two” guys a scriptkiddie because everything worse i noticed was from only one of them.
eg. the Pulse Audio BS. AFAIK THAT must be the Swiss Guy.
(/OT)

this whole hass.io - hassio debacle is totally off-topic, and also it is no longer current.
Changing the Home Assistant Brand - Home Assistant (home-assistant.io)
Hassio no longer exists.

I strongly disagree with branding the devs as scriptkiddies. The software they are building clearly demonstrates they are in no way scriptkiddies. I would brand some of them as ‘haughty & detached from the userbase.’

I migrated from a Supervised install to Home Assistant OS for simplicity & easy of management. Little did I know that DNS in HA-OS is broken & classed as wont-fix-stop-complaining by the dev in charge.
DNS being the only major gripe I have, I’ll stick with ha dns restart untill it gets fixed, or untill it gets broken even more.

1 Like

What did you end up doing as I am at this point myself. Was running venv, decided it was time to switch to haos and 3 days in and i’m almost done with it due to DNS alone. Everything else is great but DNS is making it unusable.

Can you point me in the direction of how you made those changes and where the files are. It’s easy to get shell in hassio but it’s quite a bit different layout from my venv environment.

I gave up, @pvizeli doesn’t care about broken DNS according to his words in the github bug report. And others from the dev team, such as @balloob can’t be bothered to even chime in.
I’m just doing a ha dns restart in the shell, every day or so.

My issue with this is my add-ons go missing. Like right now the “Official Add-ons” show up by the others are all gone. Occasionally they are all gone. Only when I lay down new image do they all show up for a very brief period of time.

That really sounds like your HAOS isn’t getting any dns, not from local nor from external source ?

It does - i’ve gone through all the checks and can ping both internal and external but like some others external name resolution just stops randomly.

~ $ ha dns info
host: 172.30.32.3
locals:
- dns://192.168.2.1
servers: []
update_available: false
version: 2021.01.0
version_latest: 2021.01.0

Have you tried adding google dns or Cloudflare there?

Tried both - makes no difference. Sort of working now with the same settings as above. Just randomly dies. Seems like similar issue here with no resolution
Local DNS! - Home Assistant OS - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

Well according to dns info you posted above you don’t have either configured so if the local router dns goes screwey you have no dns…

I hear you. Like I said though, router is a business class firewall - not really concerned about DNS issues as they are used all over the world without issue. Also has HA venv version running just fine for 2+ years without issue.

The issue lies entirely within the HA docker implementation and probably more specifically it’s odd DNS implementation which IMO, shouldn’t even be there.

When I can drop to cli on a workstation and on HA and one can ping / resolve nslookups and the other can’t - both on the same network segment and same switch, it’s pretty obvious where the issue lies.

Just looking for someone who’s resolved the built in DNS issues.

1 Like

That person doesn’t exist.

When testing, where did you add the other (google/cloudflare) dns ?

In my case, I use the “SSH & Web Terminal” addon, start it with “Protection mode” DISABLED. Then I enter the dns addon with the command:

docker exec -ti hassio_dns bash

Then, you have a shell inside the dns docker, only need to edit this file /usr/share/tempio/corefile (I use vi to do that).

Look for this into the file:

template ANY AAAA local.hass.io hassio {
        rcode NOERROR
    }

and add your local domain (piminet in my case):

template ANY AAAA local.hass.io hassio piminet {
        rcode NOERROR
    }

then, type exit to return to the general shell, and restart the dns:

ha dns restart

Done. The only problem is that this needs to be done each time Home Assistant updates/rebuilds the dns docker. But at least it works.

2 Likes

This is where I’m stuck atm. Not seeing the option to disable protection mode. I have advacned mode turned on for the account (not sure that even matters for this). I this doc:

SSH & Web Terminal in Hass.io - danimart1991’s Blog (danielmartingonzalez.com)

And crap - just realized you are using the 3rd party version - installing that one now.

aren’t you guys talking about different shells ?
One being the shell to HAOS (for which you need to exchange keys) , the other being the ‘regular’ add-on provided shell to HA.
To execute docker commands you’d definitely need the first.
If you’re using the addon, you’ll never reach the OS (= HAOS).