Local realtime person detection for RTSP cameras

I hate to see yellow font logs :slight_smile:

any fix/patch coming soon to take care of this?

Loving this integration… thank you!

Is there a way to enable/disable recording on a per-camera basis from Homeassistant? I see the switches for detect, clips and snapshots, but nothing similar for recording.

1 Like

As per docs

# Optional: save clips configuration
    clips:

# Required: enables clips for the camera (default: shown below)
      # This value can be set via MQTT and will be updated in startup based on retained value
      enabled: True
      # Optional: Number of seconds before the event to include in the clips (default: shown below)
      pre_capture: 5
      # Optional: Number of seconds after the event to include in the clips (default: shown below)
      post_capture: 5
      # Optional: Objects to save clips for. (default: all tracked objects)
      objects:
        - person
      # Optional: Restrict clips to objects that entered any of the listed zones (default: no required zones)
      #required_zones: []
      # Optional: Camera override for retention settings (default: global values)
      retain:
        # Required: Default retention days (default: shown below)
        default: 14
        # Optional: Per object retention days
        #objects:
          #person: 15

# Optional: 24/7 recording configuration
    record:
      # Optional: Enable recording (default: global setting)
      enabled: False
      # Optional: Number of days to retain (default: global setting)
      retain_days: 30

I am a longtime zoneminder/zmeventnotification user and I am really impressed with Frigate, really easy to setup!

You can only set width & height once per camera, and not per input, right? When using a lower resolution stream (640x360) for object detection, and a higher resolution (1920x1080) for recording/clips/rtmp, what width & height should be used in that case?
If using two inputs for a camera, can you select which of them is displayed in the web ui? Currently my low resolution stream (640x360) is the primary in the webui.

I saw that… I should have been clearer in my question. Is there a way to enable/disable recording from HA? For instance, when I’m home, I only want to record my front cameras; if I’m away I want all cameras recording.

I thought MQTT have that, but i checked and i don’t see in docs. Lets ask @blakeblackshear

Hey @allenporter I know this is from a long time ago but I’m finally at a point where I have some mental capacity for this kind of stuff. Would the HLS URL look something like this?

blob:https://<HA_External_URL>/77tg6761-acd5-4563-9ea4-976843835a41

Probably not? I’m interested in getting this going again because I heard some pretty interesting things about playing Frigate clips via a lovelace card.

Has anyone a nice lovelance card setup for viewing history events.

greetings Chris

1 Like

I use a picture card and the camera entity made by the frigate integration to display the last detection of each type. It’s super simple and you’re likely looking for something more complicated, but if you weren’t aware maybe it’ll help.

Ok can you give me a screenshot?
And maybe the code for the lovelance too? :slight_smile:

mfg Chris

Just an update, the Nest integration sometimes spits out errors with the camera RTSPS stream path. I grabbed it an it worked.

My fear is the token attached to the end of the stream path is going to expire and I’ll lose the stream.

type: picture-glance
title: test
entities: []
camera_image: camera.front_door_camera_person
camera_view: live

Hi @keithcroshaw , One example is when you call the camera.play_stream service to the media palyer its going to send over a url like https://home-assistant.your-domain/api/hls/<long string>/master_playlist.m3u8

1 Like

Yes, that is an expiring URL that changes every few minutes.

1 Like

Does this mean that RTSP isn’t possible with Nest?

So I finally found what the lovelace card put out, it’s just the blob as I posted before:

I’ve been trying to with verbose logging enabled for the nest components call the service like you mentioned and watch the logs but I really don’t see anything with /hls/ and or /master_playlist.m3u8

Hi @keithcroshaw – If you start playing the stream and open up developer tools you should see the HLS urls fly by. I grabbed that from a browser then opened it in VLC player and it started playing for example.

Hi @flyize I wouldn’t quite say it that way, but can share what I know plus have some questions:

• The SDM API support RTSP streams and there is an RPC to get one, and an RPC to extend the stream and get an updated URL.
  • Home assistant does exactly this to consume the RTSP stream (updating every few minutes) to produce an HLS feed for Nest, just like any other camera.
  • However, if you are taking the source RTSP stream from home assistant (somehow?) then its going to be changing every few minutes so you’ll have to follow those updates somehow. I went and read the frigate config, which looks like a fixed config file, so no that probably won’t work.
  • Other software can either interact with the SDM API directly itself, like how home assistant does as an option. The python library is shared. I imagine frigate wouldn’t want to support that directly though since it seems to be pretty generic.
  • Home Assistant has a media player API Camera - Home Assistant – which can push the HLS stream to other players. Does frigate support calling this to get the HLS feed?
  • Does frigate support HLS feeds at all? If that does work with a manually fetched home assistant url (the discussion with @keithcroshaw ) then that could be interesting to explore, as we might be able to figure out a feature request for home assistant to have a stable url and/or have frigate pass in an authentication token in a header, etc kind of like how images work.

I installed frigate to try to learn more but haven’t had time to learn how to configure it yet.

Edit:

• Frigate takes an ffmpeg input, so it seems like HLS should probably work?
1 Like

Ok so I see by listening to events I was able to capture this too.
Sorry events are uncharted territory for me.
so I got:
https:///api/hls//master_playlist.m3u8

I pasted that into Frigate and got a green screen upon restarting.

Can’t tell if Frigate is slowing down my system without the Coral hardware.
I’m spinning a few plates at a time, so it’s hard to isolate, but I still would like to explore it as a more competent NVR option that paying Google every month.

This issue seems fixed in “blakeblackshear/frigate:0.9.0-50f0c05-amd64”
I can now see clips in HA :smiley:

Blockquote
I don’t seem unable to save clips. In the “media/clips” directory I just see snapshot png/jpgs. But no videos.
I am running Frigate in a container on my NAS using a Coral USB
I think I have enabled the role for clips?
Any Ideas?