Long & short entity names

Hi,
I would like to suggest / kindly request if it is possible to have SHORT & LONG names for entities where there would be a switch next to the name field in the card for which of them to use.

usage example:

I think many people will find this useful

Putting this request as a result of this post

Many cards (if not most) have a name field to override the existing friendly name. Doesnā€™t that solve the problem?

I know, but what I was talking about is something like how entities are displayed in the device page as they show as in (ā€˜Uptimeā€™, ā€˜Batteryā€™) but when displayed in an entities card the get the full nameā€¦

When having a large number of entities it becomes hectic naming each one of themā€¦

As for the Mini Graph Card the name doesnā€™t allow hiding the name at all! Or does it?

I mostly do it this way, but in the case of the ecobee thermostat, those things such as ā€œThermostat heatingā€ are just a state, not an entity. ā€œThermostat current temperatureā€ is uselessly long when ā€œCurrentā€ would be fine. I added a bug to the ecobee integration, but they said ā€œnopeā€ā€¦

HA is pulling that label from somewhere, and it would be useful if there was an interface to modify a friendly name for non-standard things like this.

HA is pulling that label from somewhere, and it would be useful if there was an interface to modify a friendly name for non-standard things like this.

You can set your own friendly name: Customizing entities - Home Assistant.

Itā€™s a little confusing though, because I am not trying to rename an ā€œentityā€. The label ā€œheatingā€ is a state of the thermostat. Itā€™s not its own entity.

I see, but thatā€™s not what you said before my original reply (as pointed out in your original screenshot). What you pointed out there were the friendly names of entities. The state values youā€™re referring to now depend on the device class, which isnā€™t customisable, but there is a related FR about custom device classes. Anyway, back to what youā€™re asking now: You should probably log a new FR for that. Itā€™s probably also a function of translation for some languages and Iā€™m not sure how well one can abbreviate some state values. Optimising real estate is a general UX problem and sometimes one needs to adapt accordingly. In the end you can still hover to see the full value.

1 Like