Long & short entity names

Hi,
I would like to suggest / kindly request if it is possible to have SHORT & LONG names for entities where there would be a switch next to the name field in the card for which of them to use.

usage example:

I think many people will find this useful

Putting this request as a result of this post

Many cards (if not most) have a name field to override the existing friendly name. Doesn’t that solve the problem?

I know, but what I was talking about is something like how entities are displayed in the device page as they show as in (‘Uptime’, ‘Battery’) but when displayed in an entities card the get the full name…

When having a large number of entities it becomes hectic naming each one of them…

As for the Mini Graph Card the name doesn’t allow hiding the name at all! Or does it?

I mostly do it this way, but in the case of the ecobee thermostat, those things such as “Thermostat heating” are just a state, not an entity. “Thermostat current temperature” is uselessly long when “Current” would be fine. I added a bug to the ecobee integration, but they said “nope”…

HA is pulling that label from somewhere, and it would be useful if there was an interface to modify a friendly name for non-standard things like this.

HA is pulling that label from somewhere, and it would be useful if there was an interface to modify a friendly name for non-standard things like this.

You can set your own friendly name: Customizing entities - Home Assistant.

It’s a little confusing though, because I am not trying to rename an “entity”. The label “heating” is a state of the thermostat. It’s not its own entity.

I see, but that’s not what you said before my original reply (as pointed out in your original screenshot). What you pointed out there were the friendly names of entities. The state values you’re referring to now depend on the device class, which isn’t customisable, but there is a related FR about custom device classes. Anyway, back to what you’re asking now: You should probably log a new FR for that. It’s probably also a function of translation for some languages and I’m not sure how well one can abbreviate some state values. Optimising real estate is a general UX problem and sometimes one needs to adapt accordingly. In the end you can still hover to see the full value.

1 Like