Looking for a floor thermostat operating locally, compatible with HA and compatible with Schluter DITRA-HEAT

Sorry to hear that about inspection.
In any event, I just noticed the price for the Sinopé is more than the actual Schluter WiFi unit and the only mention I see for the Sinopé is for SmartThings and nothing about HA. Is your choice based purely on local control only given these two facts or am I missing something?
I don’t know if the Schluter has a HA “integration” or if you are able to just call it through some entity process in HA.
Curious to hear your thoughts.
Thanks.

The Sinopé is a Zigbee device. I’ve not used Zigbee yet but on the basis of what I’ve read it should work more or less in a similar way to how ZWave works. I have quite a few ZWave devices, from different manufacturers. When I install a ZWave switch from Inovelli, I don’t have to add an integration designed for Inovelli switches. It just works with the ZWave integration. If I install a multi-sensor device from Zooz, same thing, The ZWave integration just allows me to use it. If it is a ZWave device, HA can talk to it and operate it without needing an additional integration. That’s because all ZWave light switches expose themselves in a certain way, and all sensor expose themselves in a certain way, etc. The automation system does not have to learn a brand new way to control a device each time you add one to the network.

I expect Zigbee to offer the same advantages. Actually, from what I read, it should even be better because the way Zigbee specifies how devices expose themselves to the Zigbee network seems more sophisticated than what ZWave does.

I’ll note here that none of the ZWave devices I use with HA ever mention HA in their literature. What they mention are the names of systems that the average Joe and Jill are likely to have in their home. If you talk to the technical staff at some of those companies, they know HA and they can sometimes even help with setting things up on HA, but since most folks don’t use HA they don’t mention it in the literature. So the fact that the Sinopé doesn’t mention HA is neither here nor there. It is a Zigbee device. HA supports Zigbee.

The Schluter device does not have direct integration with anything other than Schluter’s server. Adam earlier in this thread mentioned integration with HA but that’s an integration that has HA talk to Schluter’s server (aka “the cloud”), and the server talks to the thermostat. The integration is not direct. Also, such setup requires a specific integration for Schluter’s thermostat because Schluter has developed their own REST API which is structured in Schluter’s specific way. I do not want my home automation system to be dependent on the cloud and subject to the whims of the manufacturer for ongoing automation support. So Schluter has been out of the running from the get go.

Understand. Thanks for the incredible detail and taking the time to write this. I am installing an Amba towel warmer as well as the heated floor so I think I will go with the Sinope for both.

Hi Adam, I would like to use your integration. It seems that it still is waiting for approval. Is there a way to include as a custom component? I have 4 Schluter thermostats, might be interesting to see if it works?
Jan

Hi Jan,

Let me get back to you on that soon. I think I can make that happen. Approval of my PR is taking longer than expected.

Cheers,
Adam

I’m interested in your integration as well. Any news regarding approval of the PR? Is there a way to give it a like or a thumbs up? I’m not in any rush; I just want to make sure it gets added!

SAME. I had two Schluter cables and the wifi thermostat installed Fall 2018 to heat about 300sqft and would love to help push this to become an HA integration. Let me know if I can help with testing or in any other way.

Hi all,

Great to hear there is some interest in my integration. For a while there I figured I’d only be building it for myself :stuck_out_tongue:

Pleased to report that I’m seeing some movement on my PR. A code review was done and I’ve addressed all the initial concerns. I was able to do that in a day, so I’m hoping responding quickly will better our chances at getting integration merged in soon.

FYI, the PR is located here: https://github.com/home-assistant/core/pull/31088

Cheers,
Adam

1 Like

Hi Adam, I have used your code from the PR to put in custom components and it works. I have now four climate thermostats and can adjust the temperature. How can I put them in vacation mode, or just turn them off indefinitely (like summer)?

Thanks!
Jan

Quick update:

My PR has been reviewed by the founder of HA, and after some small changes it has been approved & merged into dev. So I think we can expect it in the next release.

@janbultman Great to hear you got it working as a custom component. Currently there is no support for vacation mode or turning them off entirely (Although you could likely set the temperature to the minimum and that would likely suffice). I was hoping to dig into the different modes for a future improvement, so I can certainly add that to the to-do list.

1 Like

Congrats Adam on getting it to an official HA integration! :tada: I immediately added it, but I see that even though I my instance of HA is under imperial I’m seeing the actual numbers in Celsius. Not sure if it’s similar to this issue with Met Weather. I created a sensor that mirrors the climate entity for now to see Fahrenheit numbers.

Climate_Floor_Heat_window

1 Like

Looks like a great integration, Adam. The Schluter thermostat is a rebranded OJ Microline, used by several other companies and the Schluter API is hosted by OJ Microline’s server (mythermostat.info). I was looking to adapt your code for my WarmlyYours (OJ Microline) 'stats and test it as a custom component. It should work by pointing from ‘schluter.com’ or ‘https://ditra-heat-e-wifi.schluter.com’ to ‘mythermostat.info’. I don’t see where your code calls the Schluter API? The Domain constant is set to ‘schluter’ but perhaps Python is setting the rest of the address.

PS RegulationMode=1 is on schedule and RegulationMode=3 is manual in the XML. I switch back and forth between them by using POST currently in HA’s version of Node Red.

Thank you @hoffdad & @blackshoals. It is great to see it out in the wild.

@hoffdad, I believe you may have uncovered a bug. I will investigate and submit a PR for a fix so that you don’t require that work around.

@blackshoals This is really good to know! As part of the development requirements for contacting an API with a home assistant integration, they require that the API logic stay separate from the HA platform code. So I created a python library on PyPi named “py-schluter” that handles authentication & calls to the API. I suspect that is why you aren’t seeing the URL’s to the API.

Also as a general requirement, they request that initial pull requests for new integrations are as small & focused as possible, so I purposely left regulation modes out of this release. I would be happy to look at it as an improvement. Thanks for the information on the regulation mode codes.

I feel like I’ve hijacked @lddubeau 's thread for long enough, my apologies. I’ve created a new thread at Schluter DITRA-HEAT Home Assistant Integration for any further discussion.

Hi @lddubeau, I just found this thread. Did you ever get the Sinopé installed? I’m interested to hear how it went.

Oh boy… not installed yet even though I’ve had the unit for over two years. I’ve done exactly nothing with it. My bathroom remodel was going pretty well but I started seeing flashes in my field of vision. Long story short, I developed a primary CNS lymphoma, got chemo, got a stem cell transplant and now I’m recovering from the transplant. One of the doctor’s orders is to avoid all renovation work. So our master bathroom is still in the middle of its renovation. And I’ve not touched our unit at all. Yay! :joy:

Oh boy is right, sorry to hear you had to go through that. I wish you good health, the bathroom can wait!

We have DITRA-HEAT installed in our master bathroom but it came with the non-wifi thermostat. My wife works all sorts of different hours so it would be nice to automate when the heat does or does not come on. I might take the plunge with the Sinopé TH1300ZB. If I do I’ll let you know how it goes.

All the best!

1 Like

Hi there. I thought I would check in and see how you are doing. I hope all health is recovering for you. @lddubeau

Thanks. I’m still alive and in good health. Last news were “no evidence of disease.” My next MRI is due for June 24th.

I still haven’t finished the renovation. After the health scare my wife and I have had to deal with issues within our marriage. We’ve been having some problems since 2018 (2 years before my disease) at least because that’s when we saw a therapist that failed to really help. It all came to a head at the start of this year. The word “divorce” has been uttered but we’re not at the divorce stage yet. We’re trying to stay together, but divorce is possible. So the renovation has not restarted. I would have been restarting in the spring but the divorce talks have delayed that.

People tend to freak out when the word “divorce” is mentioned. Contemplating divorce is excruciatingly painful, because it is at the very least the death of a dream. At the same time, my path forward is going to be much much happier than it has been, with or without my wife. I’d rather she stays with me, but that’s up for her to decide.

Im glad to hear the health is good, that’s the number one thing, especially as you work on things with your wife. Best wishes to both of you!

2 Likes

(2023/05/07 EDIT): I stumbled back on this thread while revalidating some thermostat specs. I’m currently midway through my bathroom remodeling with Schluter Ditra Heat materials and I ended up getting the Sinope TH1300ZB instead of the Schluter thermostats. I hooked it up to a 240V source when I received it and it was easily picked up by ZHA. It seems some guy made some important contributions to HA for Sinope Zigbee devices!

FWIW : https://community.home-assistant.io/t/compatible-electric-underfloor-heating-thermostat/114791/15
I saw some successful HA integrations claims in the Amazon reviews of that thermostat as well.

I’m also looking to install radiant floor heating soon so I’m thinking of trying that Sinopé thermostat solution.