Looking for reviews of updates to the Manual MQTT Alarm integration

Hi,

The Manual MQTT Alarm component has been a part of HA for a long time, but it’s not received much love for many years (and indeed has no component code owner!). There are several improvements I would like to make to the component, starting with an improved security paradigm where HA is in control of all security code validation (so the MQTT Panel would actually send a code to HA instead of just the “disarm” command by itself).

I’ve got a PR to integrate this, but it needs more reviews. I’ve already had one reviewer, the author of the Android MQTT Alarm Panel, look over the code (and he is working on an update to the App to work with the new security paradigm, which actually is simplifying his code!)
I’m asking for help in reviewing this PR so it can get pulled into HA.
I want to turn this component into more of a true alarm system. Some of the next steps I want to do (once this PR gets merged) include:

• Multiple Codes – define different codes for different people
  • Notify on state changes with the code used
  • Watch specific sensors to trigger the alarm (instead of depending on automations to trigger the alarm)
  • Notify the panel if a watched sensor is “open” (which may prevent arming if a door is open).

So, please help me get this code reviewed so we can truly improve the alarm system!

Thanks!

1 Like

Hey, I am the author of the Android MQTT Alarm Panel application. I am currently working with @warlord to update the alarm panel application to use the new component. Just going through some local testing now. The goal is to have the alarm panel updated available when HA integrates the Manual MQTT Alarm panel component changes. I am looking forward to the update and the new features it offers.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi Derek, have to say I have the exact same problem with manual alarm. I created a PR (https://github.com/home-assistant/core/pull/41657) which solve a problem some other users and me faced with regards to how to trigger the alarm immediately on some sensors and delay the activation on others and for too long does not find anyone to review it. I hoped the alarm functionality of HA will be more active than what seems to be the case. I start wonder if this area of HA is actually production ready or just a sample.

Thanks @tomer-w – that change actually looks interesting and it something I think I’d like to include as well in the mqtt alarm panel. I’ll try to find some time to review your PR. Honestly,these two systems should get refactored because, IMHO, the manuaL-mqtt should have ALL the features of manual, plus the ability to use an MQTT protocol to control the alarm. Indeed, one can use the Alarm Panel lovelace card for manual or manual_mqtt – so really, we should figure out a way to keep them in sync feature-wise.

Just my $0.02.

Do we know what release the changes to the MQTT Alarm Panel might be in?

The changes to the HA integration are still under review (and I’m of course getting push-back from the maintainers).
The changes to the Android App are available in the most recent Beta release.

I download and installed the 1.0.1 Beta. The settings carried across but doesn’t appear that MQTT is connecting. I am not seeing the connection in Home Assistant and the System is reporting Disabled. I noticed previously I just have the IP address for the MQTT server text says to put in http when not using ssl.

No sure what I have configured incorrectly or if the Beta is not ready.

Nothing has really changed with the setup of MQTT, you still just use the IP address of your MQTT broker, the port should be 1883 and be sure to enter your username or password if you have that on your MQTT broker setup.

I will retest the beta APK and see if I made a mistake in deployment or I am appending the HTTP/HTTPS to the IP address regardless of SSL.

If you could, please add a screenshot of your setup or you can send me a direct message on my discord channel https://discord.com/invite/euh9J2d.

Hey @thanksmisterhttps://github.com/nielsfaber/alarmo was just brought to my attention. I’m wondering if maybe we should all focus on that instead of the Manual and Manual-MQTT alarms? It sounds like it has all the features we seem to desire.

Here’s my configuration.

Here’s what works using MQTT Explorer.

Yeah, I am looking at the MQTT support that it offers now. This was our other option, create our own integration. Not sure what was the intended target for this integration? Why did they add MQTT support if not for some external app or device?

I think if you are using mqtt:// you need to add that as your prefix no? If you leave just the IP address, the alarm panel prepents tcp:// prefix unless its secure, then it adds ssl://. Can you maybe change the protocol to tcp?

I think we might want (need) to extend it some. Specifically, it would be nice to add the auto-config data for your panel, and also I don’t know if we need additional data for you to know the target arming destination?
I’m thinking I might want to work with Neils instead of fighting with HA Core Team.

I think working with this integration is the best approach and fastest way to get the features you would like. Configuration is not a deal breaker for me, it makes it more flexible for other platforms.

Indeed. Let’s figure out what additional features we need from him to match the work we did in our approach. I’m happy to submit PRs to him…

1 Like