Looking to replace Xiaomi, SmartThings and Hue hubs by a stand-alone solution. What should I use

I don’t know much about Zigbee, but I did read that I could perhaps use a Combee II, is this a good solution?

This is what I would have on the Zigbee network:

Schlague Century Lock
Xiaomi Sensors (Motion, Water presence, Temperature, Door, Magic Cube )
Hue Bulbs
Hue tap buttons
Ikea Blinds

Thanks a lot for reading!

1 Like

Six months ago, I migrated my Xiaomi Aqara sensors, Hue hub/devices, and Smartthings hub to a Deconz Conbee 2 usb stick.
Rock solid and got rid of two redundant HUBs.

2 Likes

Wait, you have light bulbs and xiaomi sensors on one mesh? And it is reliable?

I do as well and it’s rock solid. I think it depends on the devices used in the mesh as well. I know that separating ZHA and ZLL would be better, but personally I never had a issue with having them on the same mesh using Hue bulbs, Hue dimmer switches, a bunch of different Xiaomi sensors and a Hue motion sensor.

1 Like

Wow, ok. That’s a new one for me. I have mostly hue bulbs. Two gledopto led controllers and two innr puck sets. And a freaking lot of xiaomi sensors :grin:

If this works it means my mesh would be going from 8 Ikea repeaters to about 40 repeating devices. That would definitely make things solid. Or should :joy:

Maybe I should warn my wife that before I try this though :innocent::joy:

Using conbee USB II here too with deconz plugin. Have Hue products, Xiaomi sensors, Sonoff Zigbee switch, Gledopto LED RGB+CCT. And dumped all hubs. Working pretty stable, i also use TRADFRI repeater without any problem…

1 Like

Nice! The only difference is that I have a cc2531 instead of the conbee. Wonder if that would make a difference.

I think it comes down to specific devices. There are some devices that are known to behave badly when inside a mixed ZLL and ZHA mesh. I think the Ikea plugs are one of these candidates. @code-in-progress may give some more insights on this.

The ikea plugs are zigbee 3.0, they should be capable of both ZHA and ZZL.

1 Like

Yes. 11 Zigbee bulbs/floods and 6 Xiaomi sensors. Plus a couple of switches.

1 Like

Update:

I’ve decided to get this https://www.amazon.ca/GoControl-CECOMINOD016164-Linear-HUSBZB-1/dp/B01GJ826F8/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=HUSBZB-1

As my lock is Zwave while the rest is Zigbee.

This one seems to support both!

Let us know how it works. I started years ago with Zwave using AEOTEC ZStick, and have many Zwave devices around the house.
Would not mind consolidating Zwave and Zigbee into one device.

I have the HUSBZB-1 on my home assistant setup and it works great for both Zigbee and Zwave support

DeCONZ only works with the ConBee I/II usb stick or RaspBee controller.

Is it possible to use a conbee stick and the hue Hub together so you can keep using the hue app?

Devices can only be paired with one controller at a time. You could split devices and put bulbs on hue and other devices on deCONZ though. Then access the hue hub and deCONZ from HASS.

Keepnin mind that if you change a bulb state from the hue app it will take HA some time to refresh the state. Since it’s an local pull.

1 Like

I will deliver!

The only Zigbee stuff I have is Hue bulbs. I’m planning a project that will see MULTIPLE hubs handling as many as 200 Hue bulbs. Can a single deCONZ setup handle that?

Theoretically it should work. The conbee has a limit of 32 directly connected devices. But since bulbs are repeaters it could work. It depends a little bit on the placement of the bulbs if they repeat for each other. But if they are not too far from each other you’ll be fine. (I must add I don’t own a conbee or that many bulbs so this is all theoretical)