Losing network connection after a few hours

Havent had that specific problem in a week now, but i often get messages that the supervisor could not open grafana or node-red… then when i try a second time, or at the third time it finally works…
the superwisor seems to talk to the other services with a 172-something-address… so still, if there is a problem with the network driver it can also impact the entire TCP/IP-Stack.

but currently i have less time for that, so i started to document some stuff for myself, before i plan to do a greenfield-installation

I got the same problem 3 times last week, whitout any action, the Pi is not in my network anymore (even if it’s LAN connected to router and the LED is on). after a Pi reboot everything works fine! until now, i did not succeed how to pass over this issue :frowning:

I agree that this appears to be on the HASS side. However I do have a fix that works. Simply pull the LAN cable out once a day, wait 10 seconds, then plug it back it.

So, being an automation guy, I automated this :). I put a switch between the rPi running HASS and the hub it is on. I have the switch automatically disconnect the rPi from the network every 8 hours, wait 10 seconds, then reconnect it. That fixed the problem for me.

jim

• ISY with Z-wave dongle and a serial Insteon PLM
  • Over 100 Insteon devices
  • About 20 z-wave devices
  • A few TP-Link devices
  • A handful of ESP8266 node servers
  • Experimenting with Lutron - it looks really great. I got the picos working to control my Insteon devices (nice now that Insteon is out of business)
  • Nearly completely phased out all of my X10
1 Like

I had this problem and could not figure it out. I could ping but could not connect to the home page. IP was asssigned and static, checked the power supply and everything. I also had a link light for connectivity.

After spending a lot of time trying to troubleshoot, i decided to log into my router page. Even though the device was active, no response. I was able to click on the device and under advanced settings, my router had the device setup as a network device. I changed the device type from network device to generic PC. Immediately i did this, i was able to connect. I am guessing the network has a different set of rules and connection types for network devices versus generic computers. Lets hope it holds up. Router type is a netgear orbi

Please note this only happened after i performed my most recent upgrade.

1 Like

I too are having the disconnection issues - I’m using a Pi4. At my wits end - I’ve had to restart 3 times today alone.

Any advice welcomed - I’m using the most recent version of HA

TIA

Hi,

same to mee :frowning: Its completely annoing!

I have to newest HASSIO and HA Version installed on my Pi4 (white/red case).

Some in here are are saying that downgrading to hassio 5.4 is the solution. so, if so…how do i do that without loosing configurations? actual version is 7.0. this is a big gap.

cheers from germany

I’ve just downgraded my HASS OS to 6.6 (ha os update --version 6.6) - lets see if i get that Homematic connection back to a stable state now…

24 hours later, my Raspi didn’t lose its Wifi connection even once - so, i’d call that one a success…

Also, Homematic integration is still connected whereas i had to manually restart / reconnect at least 4-5 times a day (after noticing it has gone offline of course…)

So, lets hope that whatever is borked in OS 7.0 gets fixed soon…

How did you do a downgrade?

The same way you’d (manually) do an update - see two posts above for the command or the official docs here: Common Tasks - Operating System - Home Assistant

Which command you used? ha core update --version x.y.z ?

After downgrading my homeassistant does not want to startups anymore

Hi,

after installing debian 11 on my raspi 4 and supervised HA i had no crashes or freezes since 9 days now.

yeah this has happened once or twice to me, unplugging then replugging the network cable seems to sort it

connect to switch connected to router helps me

After being on 6.6 for a long time, i’ve updated to 7.4 a few days ago (and more recently to 7.5) and only had constant connection issues again.

To add insult to the injury, also at least daily full lockups - the Pi again completely vanished from the network.

I suppose i’ll be downgrading to 6.6 once again - i really just wonder how such an issue doesn’t seem to be more widespread and at the same time being so persistent for that many OS-versions?

Has anyone had any luck yet with this?

My internet goes down about once a day and starts working if kill the power to and restart my HA Raspberry Pi that is connected via ethernet. I’ve made sure I’ve set HA to a static IP and reserved an IP on my router. I’m about ready to give up on HA and try something else because I can only tell my gf I’m trying to fix it for so long lol

1 Like

Same issue here…
Can’t hold off my gf much longer

I had the same problem. In my case the dhcp client was overflowed by many docker containers all requesting a lease. It can be recognized by seeing “route socket overflowed” in the journal of the dhcp daemon (journalctl -u dhcpcd).

A workaround is to add the following line at the end of /etc/dhcpcd.conf:
denyinterfaces veth*

Afterwards the service needs to be restarted (sudo systemctl daemon-reload followed by sudo systemctl restart dhcpcd)

See here for more info: Raspberry Pi 4: DHCPCD route socket overflowed · Issue #4092 · raspberrypi/linux · GitHub

2 Likes

I had the same issue after upgrading HAOS to the latest. After a while of not getting things to work, I reluctantly moved to openHAB which I don’t like. openHAB is buggy as heck. Nowhere close to the stability of Home Assistant. Anyhow, Interesting enough i had to install Ubuntu first in order to install openHAB and the issue started with Ubuntu. The exact issue I was having with HAOS. Turns out, there’s a bug with Realtek drivers in the Ubuntu OS.
With that said, is HAOS built on top of the Ubuntu framework and if so, is there access to default Linux commands?
I ran sudo apt-get install r8168-dkms rebooted and my wire network popped up.

1 Like