Losing network connection after a few hours

The original post was back to 2017 and now come to 2021 the network disconnection is still happening. My device is Raspberry Pi 4 and it disconnected like every few hours. Any expert here knows the permanent fix? Many thanks.

1 Like

I thought I was the only one having issues.
My pi4 is able to kill all my phisical router ports.
Config: 2021.04.06
supervisor 2021.04.0
Hassos 5.13
Router asus rt68u

By killing all ports, I mean wan and all lan ports.
Removing the networkcable from the pi, gets the network restored directly (without rebooting router). Only way to get ha running again is rebooting the pi. So ha creates some sort of internal dos. Totally random. Some times after 2 days, but also after 3 hours.

If anyone has ideas, I am open to suggestions.

2 Likes

Same problem. Once per day my PI kill all router lan ports, wi-fi still working. To recover router must be switched off and on AND PI rebooted. It starts after update

Exactly same problem for me, PI with HASSIO image wired to static IP and I have noticed that only IPV4 connection is lost but not IPV6. When the problem occurs, I can ping homeassistant.local but I cannot ping 192.168.1.XXX.
After rebooting the PI, I can ping both IPV4 and IPV6.
Why IPV4 is lost ?
EDIT: I have also noticed that the connection is lost each time there is a new version of the core… (updater is ON)

Fixed for me: I change static ip to auto and reserve needed IP in router DCHP config table.

after one week it’s started again with dhcp too(
UPD: using wi-fi problem not reproduced

The problem remain for me: IPV4 lost (but not IPV6) and always after an update notification (Updater ON)

Same here, total netwerk lockdown after 3-4 hours.
New PI3, New SD, latest HAS image (July)
When cat cable disconected, all other device are back online again.
IP for HA from router reservation, So no conflict with other (same) ip.
About 64 device online (eth and wifi)
All type devices are in a different range.
So LAN/WIFI hubs/switches/AP are in 1-19
PC/game console in 20-39,
Controllers en device hubs (iobroker, homematic, hue, Google, alexa) 50-70
Media device (Sonos, satbox, tv) 80-110,
Phones/tablet 120-140,
Wifi lights (Wled esp8266/esp32) 150-190
Testspace 191-210
DHCP 220-240
For guests a seperate lan.

But looks like HA does not want to take part of my “family” :frowning:

1 Like

I had exactly the same problem. Downgrading back to HassOS 5.4 solved the problem for me.
Ever since (3 weeks ago), it has been stable and no more network issues. Everything after 5.4 makes it unstable.

There are multiple Git issues raised, but none seem to make progress nor show any indication that someone is working on getting it resolved.

@Cazimbo , i now have it up and running again, downgrade tot V5.4 did solve this problem!

Are we the only who have this ??

1 Like

I’m sure we are not the only ones. There’s enough tickets raised on Git about people with similar issues and there’s a few on the forum here as well.

Unfortunately it doesn’t seem like the issue has been identified, nor indication that anyone is actively looking in to this nor getting close to a solution.

The issue happened somewhere between 5.4 and 5.6 as that’s where I started getting issues.

Tries to change router - not helps. Maybe moving to ODROID or x86 is only solution?

Same issue here, installed it yesterday to test it out. Not the best first experience.

I ended with ESP8266 pinging PI and switch off relay to restart it :frowning: one-two-three days lifetime and Pi hangs, cpu temperature about 70 degree after restart (59 before hang). If connected by ehernet Pi also kill all network activity on lan, restart helps.

Yeah i have a similair issue @Volume9, I have the red/white standard pi4 box which was getting really hot and killing off my network over LAN when it crashes, taking the ethernet plug out the back would instantly resolve the network activity.

Not had my pi crash for a week or so not sure if just lucky but tried a few things, which might be worth a look to see if this helps anyone.

• Moved from Ethernet to wifi on the pi4, when I did this it no longer killed the LAN/router/network activity. But HA would still crash but at least to just homeassistant offline (then similair process to restart the power via smart plug offline).

• Open the pi4 case lid to allow more heat to escape.

• Disabled ipv6 completely and just leave it to connect over ip4 via the homeassistant backend settings (same place to enable wifi).

This is all running the lastest version of homeassistant supervisor (6.2?)

1 Like

Moved from Ethernet to wifi on the pi4

yes, I do same thing for keep lan alive

Open the pi4 case lid to allow more heat to escape

I have Pi without case and with heat sink, temperature grow only after Pi already hangs(

Disabled ipv6 completely

Do same but it not helps

Also I tried to change power source, no effect

according to my observations, freezes occur more often after new version are available to update in supervisor page, this week no updates are available and it only hangs once.

Got you that makes alot of sense then, as before it was like every other day it was going down which is really frustrating, was strongly considering your suggestion for the ODRIOD move as maybe its just pi4 related but its not cheap :smiley: as the pi4 does everything i need for now (when it works!)

There are lots of people with similar issues with the pi that started last November. Do a Google search to find the many open GitHub issues. A good one to start with is 1119. Two workarounds that seem to work with the people that have this freeze issue is revert to HAOS below 5.5. 5.5 changed the kernel and caused issues to a group of pi users. I was at 5.4 and never crashed. Above 5.4 never worked for a full day for me! The other option is change to Debian and HA as supervisor. I changed to this several months ago and again no crashes, freezes, etc. There is an excellent forum topic on running the pi4 on my Debian. Very clear directions and many people willing to help.

1 Like

I’ve just set up Home Assistant and have had it running for just over 2 days. I’ve attempted to install Home Assistant several times in the past but have always ran into problems and given up in the end. This set up has been the most straight forward I’ve gotten, however the problem I am having is that each morning that I have gotten up to check Home Assistant, the Ethernet has become disconnected on the Raspberry Pi. The Raspberry Pi is on but the ethernet lights are not flashing, the problem is resolved if I unplug and re-insert the power. I did have the pi connected to a port on a Tenda wifi mesh node but I’ve swapped it onto a splitter running from a powerline adapter. I am sure I have had the Pi set up before in a similar manner and this hasn’t happened? Hopefully when I wake up tomorrow, it will still be online… Any thoughts as to what I could do? Is there a way of setting up wifi as a back up?

as bschatzow mentioned, supervised setup on Debian is a possible solution. But it’s are still posibility it can depricate in feature. It’s really strange for devs to leave one option for install on Pi, and this option so unstable.