Lovelace badge+notification banner

I am trying to get this to work but I’m stuck. What I want is exactly shown at the beginning of this post. I want the first card full width and the following cards normal width.
What I understood is that I start with a vertical stack card where the banner is placed. What I do not get is where the rest of the cards come. If I place them in the vertical stack, all the cards are the full width. When I place them under the cards: from the view (first row) I only see the background image.

Someone knows what I am doing wrong? Thanks.

After the vertical-stack/banner, I’ve used 1 horizontal-stack that contains 4 vertical-stacks (4 columns).
Each vertical-stack (column) can have as many cards as you want.

Currently, I use custom:layout-card to replace the horizontal/vertical-stack combo.

1 Like

Can you please post your updated ui-lovelace.yaml with the custom laycard added. I’ve been going nuts trying to convert this from old way (vertical-stack) to the new way.

Thanks

Here is what I did with 4 columns in one of my views.
Just a reminder, the layout-card does not work exactly the same as just horizontal-stack/vertical-stack combos.
Hope this helps.

views:
  - title: Main
    id: Main
    icon: mdi:home-assistant
    panel: true
    cards:
    - type: vertical-stack
      cards:       
      - type: custom:layout-card
        layout: auto
        max_columns: 4
        max_width: [30%, 30%, 25%, 15%]
        cards:             
          cards:
          ### this is a set of 2x3 camera cards in 1st column
          - type: horizontal-stack
            cards:
              cards:        
              - < camera card 1>
              - < camera card 2>
              - < camera card 3>
              cards:  
              - < camera card 4>
              - < camera card 5>
              - < camera card 6>
           - < other cards in 1st column>
        - break
          cards:
          - <cards in 2nd column>
        - break
          cards:
          - <cards in 3rd column>
        - break
          cards:
         -  <cards in 4th column>

Thank You! I was trying to use the custom:layout card in place of the first vertical-stack was my issue.

Hi, did you find an example of how to change the colour of the badge based on state ?

HELLO
i get this error:
Integration not found: text3

how can i solve it ?»
thanks

Assuming you have defined text3:

input_text:
  text3:
    name: Text 3
    pattern: '[a-fA-F0-9]*'
    initial: No Message

My script:

cleartext3:
  sequence:
  - service: input_text.set_value
    data_template:
      entity_id: input_text.text3
      value: ". . . ."

I use the script in the lovelace banner this way:

- type: state-label
            entity: input_text.text3
            tap_action: 
              action: call-service
              service: script.cleartext3
            style:
              top: 3vw
              left: 80vw
              color: white
              font-family: "Arial"
              font-size: 1.2vw
              font-weight: bold

Hope that helps.

JT,

I know this article is quite old - you may not even be doing anything with HA any longer - in the off chance that you are, I wanted to say first off this is a fantastic dashboard. Sort of something that I would like to do.

I tried re-creating your .yaml files (or adding to the ones already in HA) and getting all sorts of strangeness.

Was your dashboard done with HACS implementation? (as I have not gotten that far in my setup yet - brand new to HA, moving over from HomeSeer).

@bearhntr, it’s been a while since I updated my banner but it is still working :smiley:

Not sure how far you’ve got, this banner does not require anything from HACS at its simplest form, just basic lovelace UI in yaml. Once the banner/picture-elements is ready, all kinds of badge and customization can be added.

A sample of the basic code:

- title: Dev
    id: Dev
    cards:
      cards: 
      - type: picture-elements
        image: /local/banner2.png
        style: |
          ha-card {background: transparent; border-style: none; border: 0px; box-shadow: none;}
        elements:   
        - type: icon
          icon: mdi:cogs
          style:
            top:  50%
            left: 50%   
            color: red

This will create a card “Dev”, with a red cogwheel icon in the center of the banner as defined by the banner2.png (earlier post).

Let me know if you have specific problem or question.
Welcome to the HA community.

JT,

Thanks for the reply. Where specifically would your ‘script’ above go? I am trying to put everything into separate .yaml files as I build…keeping the configuration.yaml “clean”.

I was basically trying to figure out where the images went. I also tried my hand at creating a banner.png file - and was not sure on the dimensions to use for it - and then again, where to put it on the system. I am running Debian 11 and the HA Supervised installation

I am still learning and once I get a better grasp on some more of the basics, and I get everything integrated (looking at SmartThings stuff now for my Samsung Smart Appliances) – I would at some point love to have an LCARS interface on tablets mounted around the house. (LCARS is from Star Trek - The Next Generation…all of the screens on the ship)

Curtis

Curtis,

If you are referring to “My script” in Lovelace badge+notification banner - #28 by JTPublic, it goes into the scripts.yaml file in the base homeassistant folder (i.e. where the home-assistant.log is).

If you are referring to the code in Lovelace badge+notification banner - #30 by JTPublic, that goes to ui-lovelace.yaml file.

Regarding the size of the banner image, it really depends on your display.
I created mine as 809x66. You can start with any size and adjust to fit your screen using any graphic app. It can be any image to your liking, even the LCARS image :slight_smile:

I put my banner image file under the www folder. Just make sure you specify your folder under the allowlist_external_dirs in the configuration.yaml like:

configuration.yaml

homeassistant:
. . . . .
allowlist_external_dirs:
- /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/www

With the banner file under www, I can use the alias “local” as /local/banner2.png for the image location.

Cheers,
JT

JT,

Thanks for the reply. I am really trying to follow the steps laid out in multiple messages. I am on the HA Supervised version running on Debian 11 (non-GUI). I did add your lines to the right places (as you indicate and I created the ui-lovelace.yaml file - but as soon as I pasted in your lines (I use the Visual Basic file editor) - lots of it turned RED and then running a CONFIG CHECK - I am getting errors. So I took everything out of the configuration.yaml and the scripts.yaml file and deleted the ui-lovelace.yaml file and then rebooted. I could never get any semblance of the dashboard to what yours looks like.

Looking at the folders on my system - I do not appear to have that path you reference: I would assume the rotating red.gif you shared would go there too.

Curtis,

I’m using HA Core and lovelace in yaml mode.
Are you running lovelace in yaml mode or the default storage mode?

You’ll need yaml mode for this, here is the dashboards document https://www.home-assistant.io/dashboards/dashboards/#dashboards

JT

JT,

I am not sure – I guess I am not. I will rad through that, as I am trying to put everything in its own YAML file. Appreciate the guidance.

Curtis

JT,

I am back (call me ‘bad penny’ ) – I created the “www” folder via the File Editor under “config” - and in there I created an “images” folder to put images (sorry - old Web Developer here).

Added the following lines to configuration.yaml

When I go to CONFIG CHECK – I am getting:

Ideas???

Curtis

[quote=“JTPublic, post:28, topic:62074”]

Well I may be getting closer – This is what I get. I am not getting any errors in the CONFIG CHECK NOW - but no idea what nothing is showing. I cannot even get the BANNER2.PNG file to show either.

Here is part of the ui-lovelace.yaml file:

title: My Home
views:

• title: info
    background: radial-gradient(lightgrey, black)
    cards:
    • type: vertical-stack
      cards:
      • type: picture-elements
        image: /local/banner2.png?v=3
        elements:
        • type: state-badge
          entity: sensor.local_date
          style:
          top: 50%
          left: 5%
          entity: sensor.local_time
          style:
          left: 10%
          entity: sensor.pws_temp_f
          style:
          left: 15%

=========================[end sample]

I created a folder under the following folders:
config/www
config/www/images

Added this to the configuration.yaml file

allowlist_external_dirs:
- “/config/www”

Possible typo ?

I think it should be /local/images/banner2.png

I got it working – It appears to have been – “where” I had placed my image files. I had put them in the wrong place. I created a new folder under CONFIG called ‘www’ and within there ‘images’ - then added the line in the homeassistant.yaml file “properly”

— I am not sure what effect the “?v=3” at the end has - but it does not seem to matter. :slight_smile:

Now I am getting this: (the banner is showing)

Cool :ok_hand:

@JTPublic can tell you all about Portage