Lovelace: Button card

I did refresh hacs page. I had to click enable beta and then disabled before it saw the update. updated but it was the old 3.1.0 version. Deleted the .gz file and d/l from releases page and got the 3.1.1 Updated via HACS again and it went back to 3.1.0 again.

Anyway, reset frontend cache for app and works on ipad and iphone

1 Like

You’re not the only one, who’s having problems with Github in the last days. I wouldn’t mess around to much, it’ll be ok in the next days, I’m sure. :slight_smile:

< 0.20.2 had issues if you had previously selected a version, make sure your clients cache is not running a old version.
And see that it’s the correct selected version, if you enable debug logs, you will see what version it tries.

0.20.7 here. I compared the code and it was for the old version. I don’t remember previously selecting a version. I suspect if I restart HA it will then get the new version (I suspect that’s why I got the previous update after a similar failure yesterday)

whats the format and where would I store a custom-icon?

did you have the chance to check the missing images in the Cast setup? btw Ive made a marquee on the button card, and that doesn’t show up at all…

Hi Dont know if this is the right place to ask, but i cannot get custom button card to word. I installed it via HACS and when I create a custom button card all i get is “No card type found” I have installed, uninstalled, tried a earlier version, restarted a million times. The plugin gives the option to add it to the lovelace interface.Done…still nothing.

Please could someone give me some idea what is wrong?

Seems to work fine again on iPhone 8. Fingers crossed and thanks! :slight_smile:

Has anyone else noticed that button card reports the wrong height to the browser when you stack cards in horizontal stacks in the same column? I can’t get cards to stack underneath the button cards I have in my main view:

You can see my config starting at line 431 here

Just want to make sure it’s not something I am doing wrong before I open an issue for it.

You know what gets me, is that everyone can ask for the nitty gritty stuff but no one could give a hoot to assist with a question on how to get custom button cards to even work. I followed the button card wiki to the T, yet the plugin keeps saying “no card type configured”. I even reloaded my setup with just HACS and custom button card plugin loaded and still get the same error.

Come on guys…is this what this community is all about? Someone helped every single person that reads these forums yet no one want to assist. Not even a reply…What are these forums all about? .Disappointing.

You asked a question a day ago and there have been literally no answers to anything in this thread since then…? I think you’re getting way ahead of yourself with your reaction.

That being said, you haven’t really shared anything of substance. If you have that error, that means you have not provided the type i.e. type: custom:button-card when adding the Lovelace card.

Share the configuration you added in Lovelace so we can actually help you

1 Like

Thanks for replying iantrich

Its been the first reply since I posted. Much appreciated.

I reinstalled my system with just HACS and custom button card plugin via HACS, If I use the examples that include the type: custom:button-card entry i still get the error. I have figured out everything on HACS by trial and error but the custom button card just does not want to work.

Below is my Lovelace config:

’ ’ ’
resources:

• type: module
    url: /community_plugin/button-card/button-card.js
  • type: js
    url: /community_plugin/light-entity-card/light-entity-card.js
  • type: module
    url: /community_plugin/lovelace-gui-sandbox/gui-sandbox.js
    title: Home
    views:
  • badges: []
    etc…
    ’ ’ ’
    If I then use the examples on github and change the entities accordingly, no luck. Even just with type: custom:button-card I stll get the same error.

Please could you just guide me to get a simple custom button to switch on a light then i will figure out the rest.

Your help is much appreciated

You’re leaving our the most relevant part of your configuration, what you’re actually using for the button card
e.g.

type: custom:button-card
entity: switch.mylight

This has nothing to do with HACS given your error, you just haven’t provided a type when you added the card

Im going to create simple button quickly and the give you my button code. Maybe you could figure out what I am doing wrong. I will post in a few minutes

No card type configured.

• type: ‘custom:button-card’
    entity: switch.livingroom1
    icon: ‘mdi:light’
    color: ‘rgb(28, 128, 199)’

PS. How do I format my post to keep my code structure? I know its something with ’ ’ ’

Ian

You are a star. Your two liner showed my my mistake.

Every example has “- type: custom:button-card” I changed it to “type: custom:button-card” and I got a simple light button.

All I needed, just so i could see where i am making the mistake.

Thanks A million for the reply.

PS: I am a Systems Engineer and sometimes we all need a persons input from a different perspective to show us our mistakes. No matter how clever you are"

Once again. MUCH APPRECIATED.

1 Like

use backticks

Thanks Ian.

Sorry for going bonkers, but was at the point of phoning an institution for the mad to come and fetch me.

Really appreciate you assistance.

You are a legend.

1 Like

The leading - is for if you’re doing it in the Raw Editor or a ui-lovelace.yaml file. If using the UI Card Editor, the leading - is added for you. A “convenience” that can sometimes lead to confusion :+1:

Now that is something I did not know. Will save me hours of struggling in the future.
That explains some issues that I have had with my project thus far. I usually mix between using the gui, raw and customizer.

Good point that I will remember for the future.