Lovelace: Home Feed Card

Same for me on 98.

Thatā€™s strange about the CPU use. I have the home feed card on the home page of my Lovelace UI and Home Assistant running on a Raspberry Pi 3 B+. The highest the CPU usage of the hass process has got up to was around 30%, and that was only briefly, most of the time itā€™s around 1-2%

I am currently running a version of the code which I have not yet released, which includes a fix to the click handler code. There was previously the possibility that it could create multiple instances of the click handler which may cause memory and/or CPU issues (but this would more likely affect the computer you are accessing the Lovelace UI from and not the Home Assistant server).

I have not yet released this fix, but you can test it by installing the dev version from HACS.

If that doesnā€™t help, can you let please let me know some details of the config of your cards (number of entities, whether you were including history, etc) as it may be some combination which is causing high CPU usage.

Another possibility could be having multiple browsers displaying the Lovelace UI on a page with the home feed card. These could end up simultaneously calling the history API and could put a higher load on the server.

I have the simplest of configurations and can reproduce the high CPU load (30%) with the latest release 0.2.11b3 and 0.98.

- type: 'custom:home-feed-card'
  title: ""
  show_empty: false

Removing the card and restarting the HA server brings the CPU utilization into the long term average of 4%. Running UBUNTU server on an Atom Z8350 mini PC with hassio in docker.

same here, I have a lot of css customization on this card and I thought that itā€™s my fault but I see that default configs has same glitching.

I have seen that entity name is what produces glitchering.

@DendelX The issue with glitching in 0.98 should be fixed with the v0.2.11b3 beta version.

@tom_l @hsepm Iā€™ve been trying to track down what could be causing the high CPU usage. I see occasional spikes in the CPU usage on my own system (running on a Raspberry Pi 3 B+) but no extended periods of high CPU like you are seeing.

1 Like

Same here. Noticed yesterday high cpu usage with the card. Just removing it from Lovelace kills cpu usage instantly !

I can also confirm the performance issues. I created an issue in Github with my first findings.

1 Like

I have now deployed an update, 0.2.11b5, which fixes a bug which was causing notifications to refresh continuously if no calendars are defined in the card configuration.
This was likely to be the cause of (or at least a major contributor to) the performance issues.

2 Likes

Looking good so far Steve. :crossed_fingers:

0.2.11b5 works for me, thank you. CPU load is down.

One more thing:

When the card is empty (and invisible) I get a lot of these errors in the browser console:

home-feed-card.js?v=0.2.21:328 Uncaught (in promise) TypeError: Cannot read property 'length' of undefined
    at HTMLElement.refreshEntityHistory (home-feed-card.js?v=0.2.21:328)
    at HTMLElement.set hass [as hass] (home-feed-card.js?v=0.2.21:789)
    at HTMLElement.set hass [as hass] (card-modder.js?v=2:53)
    at HTMLElement.set hass [as hass] (hui-stack-card.ts:24)
    at layout-card.js?v=7:154
    at Array.forEach (<anonymous>)
    at HTMLElement.set hass [as hass] (layout-card.js?v=7:154)
    at HTMLElement.set hass [as hass] (hui-stack-card.ts:24)
    at HTMLElement.value (hui-root.ts:375)
    at HTMLElement.performUpdate (updating-element.ts:716)

For me this is just cosmetic.

That error was caused by it was trying to check the length of the entities collection when it was undefined or null. This is fixed in release 0.2.11b7

When is the next non-dev release that incorporates those fixes going to be released?

I have just published 0.2.11 as a non-beta release including all fixes.

3 Likes

I have 2 home feed cards in a view, respectively titled Last Movement and Notifications.

This is the config for the red circled Notifications card:

show_empty: true
show_notification_title: true
style: |
  ha-card {
    border: solid 2px var(--primary-color);
  }
title: Notifications
type: 'custom:home-feed-card'

It is showing the contents for the config of the ā€œLast Movementā€ card :confused:

Iā€™ve tried clearing the cache.

If I put the cards in separate views it shows what I expect (after clearing the cache). That is only persistent notifications.

The card caches some of the data (notifications, calendar events, and entity history) using localStorage in order to reduce the number of requests it needs to make to retrieve the data. Currently the key for storing the data is based the page URL, as I hadnā€™t considered the use case of having it more than once on the same view. Iā€™m currently investigating the best way to resolve this. Two possibilities are:

1. Add an optional id or card_id option to the config, to allow you to give each of the home feed cards in a view a unique id and also use this as part of the key
  2. Similar, but use the card title. This would obviously only work if you are using this option

Edit: I have now published a release, 0.2.12b1, using option 2 above (using the card title).Since you appear to have the title in your configation this should work for you.

Confirming this works fine.

2019-10-06 12:19:19 ERROR (MainThread) [hacs] Tried to serve up '/config/www/community/lovelace-home-feed-card/home-feed-card.js' but it does not exist

I get this error. Although everything is installed (seems to have problems with names)

I donā€™t know how it happened, but at some point HACS stopped stripping the lovelace- from the beginning of the filename when it downloads it. You need to change the reference to it in the resources section of your Lovelace configuration from
/community_plugin/lovelace-home-feed-card/home-feed-card.js
to
/community_plugin/lovelace-home-feed-card/lovelace-home-feed-card.js

Hi Steve,

I have .txt files stored locally with a simple list of events. I have successfully managed to get these to show in lovelace using an iframe card, but unfortunately the events will not update unless I completely clear the cache on the browser. I notice that your Home Feed-Card incorporates history and multiple items. Is there a way to use your card to obtain all the information listed in a .txt file and if so how do you do it and will it refresh when a new event occurs and is added to the list?

Thanks in advance

Glenn