Home Assistant Community

Lovelace: Mini Media Player

I read that this card is not working good with the latest alexa_media custom component. Is it right? And if yes, how to fix it? I have problems with tts alexa platform as it always doesn’t work telling me it cannot use tts google platform.

0 Likes

Where did you read that?

You would have to specify platform: alexa in order for tts to work with the custom “alexa/echo component”.

- type: custom:mini-media-player
  entity: media_player.echo
  tts:
    platform: alexa
0 Likes

I read it here:

About the platform i have alexa already set for my echo devices, but always get ‘failed a call to media_player/alexa_tts service’ or something similar…

0 Likes

They are using invalid configurations.

Ogh, you said “telling me it cannot use tts google platform.” before, that’s why I thought you had an incorrect card config.

Not sure, doesn’t look like anything has changed from reading the docs.
I don’t see why it wouldn’t work, and I can’t test it since I don’t have any echos.

0 Likes

Ok, so i hope someone else having an echo can test it and help me to solve this issue…

0 Likes

Posted in the custom alexa component thread, and seems like at least this guy/gal got it to work.

0 Likes

Found it !!!
I added to the code:

language: 'it'

If i disable it all is working !!

1 Like

Can you post your config for the card (using the format button </> )?

0 Likes

My experience with mini-media-player is this.
I have this configuration withe latest version also of Alexa Media player

entity: media_player.echo
        tts:
          platform: alexa
        group: true
        icon: 'mdi:amazon-alexa'
        icon_state: true
        hide:
          controls: true

entity: media_player.mini
        tts:
          platform: google
          language: it       #not necessary 
        group: true
        icon: 'mdi:google-home'
        icon_state: true
        hide:
          controls: true

and it works.

language: it works only with Google TTS, but it’s not necessary. I get same language, italian, also if there isn’t this row.

One main difference is that with Alexa media player the volume slider is alway active and the Power ON/OFF button does nothing, while with Google media player, the volume slider is available only if I turn on the device with the Power ON/OFF button.

0 Likes

I don’t think Alexa as media player entities ever turn off, they instead go standby.
You can use the idle view feature to kinda simulate on/off. There are a few options available for the idle_view object, but I think when_standby should work with Alexa as media player, check the card docs for other available options.

idle_view:
  when_standby: true

You could I guess also hide the power button if you want as there’s no on/off for the alexa component

From the source

def turn_off(self):
        """Turn the client off.
        While Alexa's do not have on/off capability, we can use this as another
        trigger to do updates. For turning off, we can clear media_details.
        """

def turn_on(self):
        """Turn the client on.
        While Alexa's do not have on/off capability, we can use this as another
        trigger to do updates.
        """
0 Likes

I’m having an unusual issue with the media player card - added it to my configuration yesterday and to begin with it was working fine, however today instead of seeing the cards I’m just seeing a bit of text that either says ‘off none’ ‘idle none’ or ‘playing none’ depending on the state of the player.

When I click on the text it writes to the log:

https://xxxxxxxxx.duckdns.org/local/mini-media-player-bundle.js:1:36259 TypeError: this.value.handleEvent is not a function. (In 'this.value.handleEvent(e)', 'this.value.handleEvent' is undefined)

My lovelace yaml seems pretty normal:

resources:
  - url: /local/mini-media-player-bundle.js
    type: js

…and where configured:

• type: custom:mini-media-player
    entity: media_player.tv
    artwork: cover

NB I promise indentation is all correct - I’m sending this from a work computer where proper formatting doesn’t want to work for some reason

The only change I’ve made is a global font change but I can’t see any reason why that would have scuppered things - I’ll try changing back to the previous font and see if it fixes it and report back

BTW media players are all google cast devices

0 Likes

I’d like to use the tts feature in my media player card.
This is my config and it works fine like this.

As I don’t need the tts feature everyday it would be nice to only see it when I click on the player. Is that possible?

0 Likes

the correct way is

resources:
  - url: /local/mini-media-player-bundle.js
    type: js
0 Likes

Sorry - again, at work PC, not able to copy and paste from configurator. Your correction is what I already have in yaml. Post edited to reflect this

EDIT: Haven’t got around to changing fonts yet, but tried adding ?v=0.01 to my url in the lovelace yaml - it briefly worked properly again, then I refreshed the home assistant app on iphone and lost it again. Odd

0 Likes

Yes, skip the cards tts and use the tts input in the default more info popup, which you get to by clicking/pressing on the entity.

That’s strange, try replacing type: js with type: module, this is obviously not a viable solution if you are dealing with older devices.

1 Like

When I press the entitiy the pop up window doen’t include a tts field.
No matter if a press the entity, the default card or your lovelace card.

0 Likes

I guess the player has to support TTS.

Otherwise, you could use popup-card and create your own popup.

0 Likes

That seems to have worked!

I also have the custom graph card installed, weirdly what seemed to happen before is when one was working, the other wouldn’t.

Both behaving correctly now! Many thanks!

0 Likes

It supports tts. It’s a alexa mediaplayer entitiy.

0 Likes

Awesome, my cards are really built as modules, so importing as type: js could cause unwanted side effects.

I’ve been experimenting with a new build process for the mini-graph-card, which seems to solve most of these issues.

0 Likes