🎧 Lovelace Podcast Card/Plugin for gPodder

:headphones: Podcasts in Home Assistant :headphones:

I’ve created a custom component/card for everyone to enjoy podcasts in Home Assistant. Design needs some polish and it might be missing some features, but I’m excited to get it out to you all for consumption and to get feedback. Enjoy!

gPodder Custom Component | Podcast Custom Card

Home Assistant Podcast on gPodder

7 Likes

Great stuff Ian! Such a quick turnaround time!

1 Like

Anything for P & R :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like
          - entity: sensor.gpodder
            type: custom:podcast-card
            name: Home Assistant Podcasts
            default_target: media_player.office_speaker
            show_player: true
            custom_player: true

So nothing shows up in Lovelace. I see sensor.gpodder and it has subscriptions.
I have loaded the podcast-card:

- url: /customcards/github/custom-cards/podcast-card.js
    type: module

:rocket: Fix Attributes :rocket:

gPodder Component Release 1.0.2

@DavidFW1960 I had a pending change to the gPodder component that I neglected to push up. Try updating and see if that resolves the issues for you :+1:

1 Like

I just tried setting a device name and am getting a config validation error when I check config…

Invalid config for [gpodder]: [device] is an invalid option for [gpodder]. Check: gpodder->gpodder->device. (See /config/configuration.yaml, line 384). Please check the docs at https://home-assistant.io/components/gpodder/

config

# Home Assistant Podcasts on gpodder
gpodder:
  username: !secret gpodder_user
  password: !secret gpodder_password
  device: homeassistant
  sensor:
    - enabled: true
      name: gPodder

AND now it’s working!!! Excellent. Thanks @iantrich

Also in consy.py down the bottom there is a typo:

# Defaults
DEAFULT_NAME = DOMAIN

Is that part of why I see the above error?

EDIT: I see the above typo in other files as well (in the component) so it seems ‘deliberaqte’?

I also moved the domain to the sensor list and it’s validating. I think the readme on github indicates it’s a variable at the same level as username etc, not in the sensor list…

Curious, what’s the reason for having “sensor” as a list? Won’t they all have the same data?

it’s to future proof the component.
Now it’s one sensor containing all the data.
someday it may make sense to break it up.
If the “core” part of the config is already setup to handle multiple sensor types migration for the user will be easier.

That’s kind of what I figured. Mostly curious because I wanted do just that in my own custom component. It just looked a bit odd as a list with enabled as an option. If there were multiple sensors to configure, wouldn’t the existence in the list imply it should be enabled and exclusion would imply disabled?

Anyway, I don’t know that this is really the place to discuss. It just caught my eye since I’ve been looking for a good example of how to do that.

Probably not :see_no_evil:
https://github.com/custom-components/gpodder/blob/master/custom_components/gpodder/__init__.py#L39 if you look at this you will see that the enabled part defaults to True so specifying that in the config is not really needed.

It might be a good topic to discuss further before more components start to follow that structure, if you @tboyce1 (or anyone else) feel like it, open an “issue” here https://github.com/custom-components/blueprint :slight_smile:

1 Like

:headphones: Version 1.0.2 Released :headphones:

• Style changes
  • Friendly names in entity picker

Ian can you check… the device key has to be part of the list under sensor otherwise you get a configuration error…

IF you have your device name on gPodder set to homeassistant the minimum configuration is

gpodder:
  username: iantrich
  password: myawesomepassword

Yes I realise that. But if you have a different name then the docs are wrong for the config of the device name…

Specifically:

gpodder:
  sensor:

Does not pass the config validation but”

gpodder:
  sensor:

Does… The docs indicate the first one is correct but it’s not.

Ah, I see now what you’re referring to. Can you submit a PR?

I will Ian… just wasn’t sure if I was mistaken. I’ll submit a PR for the docs presently…

I have found a podcast that trips up something, its the triforce podcast: RSS feed Link

by the error bellow, it seems to be an issue in the card, probably caused by the exclamation mark in the podcast name

https://URL/local/podcast-card.js:2588:38 Uncaught SyntaxError: Failed to execute 'querySelector' on 'DocumentFragment': '#Triforce!' is not a valid selector.

Lame :slight_smile: can you log an issue on the repo with the details so I can track it a bit better? Thanks.

:headphones: Release 1.0.3 :headphones:

• Extract mime type from feed