šŸ—‚ Lovelace Text Divider Row

Love this card to break up my mobile view using the Mushroom theme.

Looking for some help on the text background. It doesnā€™t quite match the background and looks to default to the card background colour.

Iā€™m struggling to figure out how to remove the entities box and not have the text background the pure white:

Here is the code Iā€™m using:

type: entities
card_mod:
  style: |
    ha-card {
      background: none;
      box-shadow: none;
      card-background-color: '#FAFAFA';
    }
entities:
  - type: custom:text-divider-row
    text: Text

Iā€™ve messed around with different values for card-background-color and also gave paper-card-background-color a go too. Iā€™ve tried HEX and RGBA colours. Seen a few posts trying to use just the text-divider-row card without the entities card but this seemed the best way to achieve the look by using card_mod. Thanks for any help!

Seems like a ā€œguessingā€ - no wonder it make take a lot of time and may not provide a positive result (((.
Each element has a set of supported CSS-properties, some of them may be assigned to supported variables.
We should not ā€œguessā€ - we should open the Code Inspector (or how is it called in a browser) and see what properties are used for an element.
Check this link.
Probably you need to give a transparent background to a label (see an example with ā€œbackground-colorā€).

If you got a lot of text-divider-row in your HA setup - then probably you should use a card-mod-theme for all text-divider-row instances with a corrected style.
IMHO the background for the label should be transparent w/o any card-modā€¦ But for now it could be a good workaround.

Good advice, thanks for the response! Always forget about the good old inspectorā€¦

That link is exactly what Iā€™m trying to achieve so what I have done is overwrite my block with the extract from that link:

However it isnā€™t updating the styling despite it showing the paint brush at the bottom.
Shall I uninstall and reinstall the card-mod addon?

UPDATE: Found a workable solution within the entities card styling:

type: entities
card_mod:
    ha-card {
      --ha-card-background: #fafafa
    }
entities:
    text: Rooms

Iā€™m now playing around with your suggestion of editing the theme rather than applying to every text-divider rowā€¦but it may not work as it would affect those entities cards Iā€™m not using with the text divider row. I will update if I figure it outā€¦

UPDATE 2: Definitely need to do something at the theme level as I need to have two different colours based on LIGHT or DARK modes.

Because you are trying to apply a card-mod style to a card which DOES NOT have a ha-card element.
Read docs for card-mod on GitHub.
The card is supposed to be used inside the Entities card - which DOES have a ha-card element , so the card-mod style may be applied.

This ā€œbrushā€ is not related to card-mod.

The card-mod style in the example you provided is not related to to styling the ā€œtext-divider-rowā€.
It MAY affect - nothing more.
Probably by this style you defined the ā€œ--ha-card-backgroundā€ variable (undefined by default) and this variable is used then by the ā€œtext-divider-rowā€.
What you really need is:

1. Place the ā€œtext-divider-rowā€ inside Entities card (as it supposed to be used).
  2. Apply a card-mod style to the ā€œtext-divider-rowā€:
        text: modded
        card_mod:
          style:
1 Like

In some cases you DO NOT need a custom theme to handle ā€œlight/dark modeā€.
Read this.

1 Like

Hi,
This is a great custom card which I use around my Lovelace to group information.

Currently is showing the line through the divider:

and I have it configured like:

cards:
      - type: custom:vertical-stack-in-card
        title: Non-rechargeable batteries
        cards:
            text: Temperature Sensors
            cards: null
          - type: entities
            entities:
              - entity: sensor.living_room_temp_battery
                name: Living Room (Xiaomi)
                type: custom:bar-cardtype or paste code here

Iā€™ve gone through this thread but canā€™t seem to make it without the line again.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

I found similar and its because it is an entities row item rather than a card in itself. It is designed to be used within the Entities card. I used card-mod to hide the Entities card background and then adjust the background of the Text Divider elementā€¦

Thanks @BlackCatPeanut! Iā€™ll follow that path - a few things have to be changedā€¦ :thinking:

Hi @BlackCatPeanut
so following the info and links (thanks @Ildar_Gabdullin ) Iā€™ve managed to end in something like this:

With code:

cards:
      - type: entities        
        entities:          
            text: strikethrough
            card_mod: 
                .text-divider {

}
                .text-divider span {
                  color: orange !important;
                  background-color: none !important;
                  padding-left: 32px !important;
                  padding-right: 32px !important;
                }

Which is still with the line dividing the text.Should be a simple formatting line - can anyone help on this?

Thanks!

Can you paste your code here, please?

Iā€™ve gone in a different direction for this card so unfortunately no longer use it as I described before. Sorry :frowning:

ok, so then could you tell us your method how to get a divider with a title without all the problems we are discussing here? Thank you

I opened the .js file and hardcoded the background color of my theme. Sure, I could put a var there, but I cannot find what variable is the background from the theme.yaml file. Adding the color in the format #07090e to span worked for me.

.text-divider span {
        color: var(--divider-color);
        font-size: var(--font-size);
        background: #07090e;
        padding: 1px 1em;
      }

1 Like

No, it does not work. I also tried to add

.text-divider span {
    background: #07090e !important;
  }

below the type: custom:text-divider-row but the result still inherit something from somewhere and I cannot find where. The inherrited properties are:

.text-divider span {
    color: var(--divider-color);
    font-size: var(--font-size);
    background: var(--background);
    padding: 1px 1em;
}

What do you want to achieve by card-mod?

I also tried to add the variable

background: #07090e;

to themes yaml but it does not read it. It shows that variable with a different value. Not a programmer but why tracing back the inheritence using developer tools does not backwards influence the css? What are we missing?

I have a setup which uses the markdown card and lovelace_gen to do the title with divider line and allow the background to be transparent so anything behind shows through. Iā€™m not a code expert so Iā€™m not sure if this is the best way, but it works pretty well for my setup.

I use lovelace_gen so all I have to do is something like:

- !include
  - "../template/headers.yaml"
  - content: "'## House'"

which uses the following code to create different header styles including the one with the divider line.

# lovelace_gen
type: markdown
style:
  .: |
    ha-card {
      color: {{ color|default('white') }};
      padding: 5px 5px;
    }
    ha-markdown {
      padding-top: {{ tPad|default('0 !important') }};
      padding-bottom: {{ bPad|default('0 !important') }};
      padding-left: {{ sPad|default('0 !important') }};
      padding-right: {{ sPad|default('0 !important') }};
    }
  ha-markdown $: |
      h2 {
        display: grid;
        grid-template-columns: minmax(20px, 1fr) auto minmax(20px, 1fr);
        align-items: center;
        text-align: center;
        grid-gap: 20px;
        width: 100%;
      }
      h2:before,
      h2:after {
          content: '';
          border-top: 2px solid;
      }
      h4 {
        white-space: nowrap;
        overflow: hidden;
        text-overflow: ellipsis;
      }
content: {{ content }}

I am trying figure out how to set it up. Looks interesting but I need to ask you for some detail.
This code is goes below a card ok?

- !include
  - "../template/headers.yaml"
  - content: "'## House'"

Please give us longer code. When I add it under card (according to the docs of the lovelace_gen), !include is not understood.

The code begining # lovelace_gen suppose to be saved as headers.yaml into ā€¦/config/www/template/headers.yaml or elsewhere? Thanks.

I am trying to load t he headers.yaml in configuration.yaml and went to two different errors:

1. view is not found as an intergration (following the docs for the lovelace_gen, in which the author shows that the yaml files should be called in configuration.yaml)
  2. the 36th row content: {{ content }} returns error when I am checking the configuration before restart

Please, more detailed help will be appreciated!