LoveLace whiteboard / HTML Canvas drawing card

I’ve been working on converting a ChromeBook to be a ‘smart display’ like thing because some of it’s keys are broken but the tablet portion and screen are fine.
Ideally it would just show a LoveLace dashboard and allow control over some of my automations, but it has a unique feature that I’d still like to make use of : a pretty good digitizer pen.

In the past I’ve seen a lot of Samsung refrigerators and stuff have a screen built in that would allow someone to handwrite a message, and I thought “Is there anything like this for the Home Assistant Lovelace dashboards?” Like, some sort of card that can be added alongside other controls?

After 20 minutes of googling I can confirm that such a thing does not exist presently, but may be very easy to create. It would essentially just be an HTML5 canvas element with some sort of pointer and options to erase / change the size of the marker tip and the color. The only entity information associated with it would be maybe something to clear it at a certain time or after a certain period, and maybe a way to synchronize it’s state with other lovelace dashboards.

Is there anything like this currently that maybe I don’t know about? It would be a really cool feature to integrate into core Home Assistant, or maybe it’s something that I can start to piece together myself on gitHub if I can learn enough about the LoveLace cards API.

@Kezz interesting idea i will give it a try, making something like this; Memo - Samsung Family Hub Refrigerator | The Good Guys - YouTube

2 Likes

@DBuit did you get it to work? it would be really interesting to have this card.

@Kezz @Arosuto9308 i did start on something but never really finished it.
I made a short video of what i got:

1 Like

just posted this on another thread on this topic: Whiteboard as card available? - #2 by snicka

1 Like