Lutron Caseta Interface

Hey @upsert I opened an issue on the GitHub repo - mind taking a look? https://github.com/upsert/lutron-caseta-pro/issues/1

Thanks!

Thanks for making this! should I be able to control dimming in the UI? or is it only through automations - currently I only see a toggle on/off button in HASSio front end

spot%20lights

my config:

lutron_caseta_pro:
    bridges:
      - host: IP_ADDRESS
        switch: [ 2 ]

That’s because you explicitly defined it as a switch (ie on/off). Take switch: [ 2 ] out of your config and the component will treat it as a light (ie a dimmable entity).

1 Like

I don’t see my Pico remote showing up in Hass, only my switches, do I have to define them?

The first thing to check is if you see them in the Lutron mobile app. Assuming you do, check if you see them in the integration report. That’s the JSON text that you copied into the configuration or saved to a file in your config directory.

If they are in the integration report, they should appear as entities in Home Assistant. They are named after their area, if available, followed by their name. e.g. sensor.living_room_side_table_pico.

Also, it should be noted that they only show up as sensors and not as buttons or switches you can press in Home Assistant. The purpose is to watch when a button is pressed and perform a script or automation action in addition to whatever the button is doing to your lighting system.

If you want to dedicate a Pico to only Home Assistant automations, you can go into the Lutron mobile app and delete any devices associated with the Pico. It will still produce sensor events in Home Assistant.

I do see it in the mobile app, what I don’t have is the integration report saved in my configuration folder. I don’t know how I missed that step. What do I save it as.

Here are the instructions for setup and configuration:

The file would be name lutron_caseta_pro_<bridge ip address>.json, where <bridge ip address> is the IP of your Smart Bridge Pro. It is a text file and can be opened in any text editor.

1 Like

Thanks,

I don’t remember getting the configurator prompt. I’ll add this tonight.

Do I have to add it as a switch in my configuration.yaml file?

Here is a video to demonstrating Hassio and enabling the Samba add-on:

After that, your configuration directory is the network share \\HASSIO\config and that is where you would put the custom_component folder and access all your configuration files.

There is no switch to enable the configurator. If will appear on the front-end if you start Home Assistant and lutron_caseta_pro_<bridge ip>.json is missing from your config directory (\\HASSIO\config).

You don’t have to use the configurator. You can email the report to yourself or use Dropbox etc. to get it off your phone and manually copy it to your config directory.

Thanks for the help, I got everything working and scripts made as well.

My issue was I had originally followed the instructions posted for the Non Pro Hub and didn’t know this thread was different for the Pro Hub, which I have.

Thanks again.

@upsert Using your Caseta Pro custom component and loving it. Do you have any plans to submit it as an official component and/or add support for the new entity registry?

It’s amazing how much faster the Pro Bridge is at processing commands compared to my old Wink hub.

1 Like

I don’t have any immediate plans to submit it as a component. I recently moved and haven’t got back to this in a while. I’ve bought a RA2 Select hub so I plan to do some testing with it and see if it works with the component. Maybe a combined RA2 Select Caseta Pro component could be submitted.

For the entity registry, I’m not quite sure what the advantage would be. The component uses names generated from the Lutron app so you can already customize those. It may be something to add for forward compatibility reasons. I’m not seeing any readily available developer documentation or guidelines.

1 Like

Entity Registry allows you to customize entity id’s and guarantees that a device will always get the same entity_id. AFAIK the only thing it needs is some kind of “unique ID” for each device. I would think the IntegrationID the lutron hub gives out would work, though it would likely need to be prefixed with some kind of hash marking the hub as well. I think the hope is that most components will support it in the future to simplify UI-based configuration.

I’ve had it set up for 3 days now and my mind is still blown at how much faster it responds compared to my Wink. I had a “goodnight” automation that turned off a bunch of lights. It took the Wink over a full minute to turn everything off. This hub has everything turned off within about 1 second. WifeApprovalFactor++

3 Likes

Does anyone have a good way to use a pico to control some Hue bulbs? Mainly the dim up and dim down portion.

Thanks!

I’ve done some testing on a Ra2 Select bridge and it works exactly like Caseta Smart Bridge Pro. My custom component works without issue. Waiting for additional items to be installed for more testing.

Ra2 Select also supports occupancy/vacancy sensors now so I may order one of those as well. Judging from the Integration Protocol I think it will be like all the other pico button sensors, but with the equivalent of a button press as occupied and a button release as unoccupied.

The latest software for the bridge also shows the Ra2 Select is coming to Europe on the 868 MHz frequency band. Not sure they have many 240 V dimmers and switches to go with it, but I think they already have the shades.

If you are using a Caseta Smart Bridge Pro and my custom component, you can setup an automation for the pico button. Search for ‘increase brightness’ on the forum and there are a lot of ways to do it.

Here is one thread:

If you are not using a Pro bridge then you won’t get any sensor events for a pico button press and you are out of luck.

I’ve just ordered the Pro and going to migrate from the standard hub to the Pro hub. Nearly all of the configuration contained in your instructions make sense to me, except: integration report. When I create this, is this just a blank file? I see references on here to copy over some JSON over to the integration report, but I don’t see any documentation on that. Thanks for your help.

I will work on improving the instructions for first-time setup!

It goes like this:

1. Setup the Lutron app and add all your Lutron devices through the app. Enable Telnet Support under settings menu -> Advanced -> Integration. Also enable static IP under Network Settings and write down the IP.
  2. In your Home Assistant installation, install the custom component by copying in the files as noted in the instructions.
  3. In Home Assistant configuration.yaml create a minimal configuration for the custom component using the IP address you wrote down and start Home Assistant.
  4. Once started and assuming first time setup, open Home Assistant on your mobile device and you should see a prompt to Configure Lutron Caseta Smart Bridge PRO on the front-end. Click on Configure and you’ll see a box to paste your integration report.
  5. Switch over to the Lutron app, go to settings ->Advanced -> Integration -> Send Integration Report. When prompted, select ‘Copy to clipboard’.
  6. Switch back to Home Assistant front-end and paste in the Integration Report. If your phone does not have copy and paste options, you will need to share it to yourself through email or to another app that supports copy paste.
  7. Once you submit the Integration Report the component should setup all your devices as dimmers and will save the Integration Report to your config directory as a json file.
  8. If you have switches or Lutron shades, open the Integration Report in your config directory and find their Integration IDs and edit your Home Assistant configuration as described in the instructions to tell it which devices are switches or shades. Unfortunately, the Integration Report does not contain this information so you need to do this manually if you have switches or shades. Restart Home Assistant if you change the yaml file.

You should be up and running with these instructions. If you edit your Lutron configuration by adding scenes or devices, I suggest deleting the Integration Report JSON file from the config directory, restart Home Assistant and follow the above steps to copy and paste the new Integration Report over to Home Assistant.

Also if you are switching from the non-Pro hub, you may want to go into the Lutron app and delete all your devices under your old account. It should make it easier to add them back to the new account and new hub. Lutron does not support multiple hubs in an account so you won’t have much choice but to start from scratch.

Hope that helps!

5 Likes

Thanks so much! This really clears everything up!

Yes - thanks @upsert. I also ordered a Pro after the latest non-Pro break. Any intention to submit this as official now? While it is possible the non-Pro could be fixed again, I think it is clear Lutron wants none of it for that model and it will be a continual chase that will just turn people off from HA.

No pressure! Your work is much appreciated!