Lutron Caseta - invalid config

Finally had a moment to setup my Pro hub with ksheumaker’s modified files.

Everything is working great and extremely easy to setup.

My Pico’s are showing up in HA now.

Happy camper here.

Thanks @ksheumaker for creating that repo.

I will probably fork it with some improvements in a few days. I just modified it to get better names from the JSON: The plugin doesn’t know about “areas” so you end up with 10 “main lights”. I’ve got it prepending the “area name” so it’s “Living room main lights” which I find more useful.

Right now the pico remotes have one output which is a bitmask of the pressed buttons. I am just getting started with HA so I’m not sure if that’s the most useful way or if it should be setting some kind of enumeration like “on” “off” “up” “down”. Does someone with more experience setting up HA have an opinion?

There are so many Lutron Caseta threads, I had trouble keeping everything straight. This is how I got everything working with my new Caseta Pro hub.

1. Grab the files from this repository and place them in your /.homeassistant/custom_components directories…
    https://github.com/ksheumaker/ha-caseta-pro
  2. In your Lutron mobile app:
    • Settings
    • Advanced
    • Integration
    • Turn on “Telnet support”
    • Use the “Send Integration Report” option to email yourself a copy of the integration JSON
  3. Once you have the Integration Report, place the JSON file in a /.homeassistant/caseta_[Lutron bridge IP address].json file
  4. Add the following to your /.homeassistant/configuration.yaml file. You have to manually identify any on/off switches as such or everything will be treated as as a dimmer. You can find these Device IDs from the Integration JSON file.
caseta:
  bridges:
    - host: [Lutron bridge IP address]
      devices:
        - id: 2
          type: switch
        - id: 3
          type: switch
2 Likes

Will this eventually find it’s way into the official HA code?

are you running hass.io?

I have created a custom component lutron_caseta_pro based on jhanssen’s casetify code and other re-organization work in this thread.

I’ve included:

• Scene support
  • Shade support (covers in Home Assistant)
  • Re-organized the configuration to list an array of IDs for switches and covers instead of individually configuring each device
  • Added area names, as suggested above by @bjj
  • Added Configurator support to paste in the Integration Report in the frontend
  • Code cleanup and re-organization, linting etc.
  • Readme file with custom component and config instructions

I have tested primarily in hass.io and since everything is within the configuration directory, it should work with most installations.

This could form the basis of an official component in Home Assistant, but first it needs testing by a wider audience. The casetify module code also needs breaking out to its own library and publishing to PyPI.

The lutron_caseta component was also just updated to use the undocumented TLS interface and the Pull Request was accepted three days ago, so I think it best to avoid being confused with that update for now.

7 Likes

Just installed and moved over from jhanssen’s custom component… seems to work great! Fixed my switch (only have 1) that would lose its state on reboot.

Found another bug. In light/caseta.py it’s formatting transition times as :XX.Y (basically just putting a : on front of seconds). This is an error, because the hub wants one of: SS.ss, SS, MM:SS, or HH:MM:SS (from http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/040249.pdf ). The easiest thing to do is remove the : and then setting transition times works.

Unfortunately, footnote 1 is Fractions are rounded up to the closest 1/4 second. I was hoping for instant on/off, but I can’t get the dimmer to transition any faster than about 1/4 second, even passing every flavor of zero (or even negative) to that time.

Have you gotten this in front of the team for review to get it integrated into the project? This looks like a great first step.

With this scene support are we able to speed up the on/off for the Caseta dimmers?

I fixed the transition formatting and pushed an update. I had assumed it was done on purpose but now I’ve fixed it to use float for less than 60 or HH:MM:SS for > 60 seconds.

I am used to the Caseta out-of-the-box timing of 1 second ramp up time so I find the 0.25 to be quite fast. It’s a pity Lutron does not allow that level of programming in the app for all the Picos and keypads.

Scenes do not support transitions either in Home Assistant or in the Lutron interface. There is a way to fiddle with the programming through the TLS (formerly SSH) interface but it is really something Lutron should be adding to the mobile app.

The main advantage of scenes is to be able to fade on or off multiple lights with one command in a synchronized fashion. Otherwise when you automate multiple lights in Home Assistant they will never quite start or stop their fades at the same time.

I was trying to get instant transitions because Hue bulbs are fine at full brightness but flicker like mad at lower dimmer levels. You can’t get the minimum brightness high enough to avoid it (and I’m amazed I didn’t have a seizure while trying). Transitioning faster at least avoids most of the problem. My plan is to use a startup-triggered automation to ensure any Hue-hosting switches are on and stay on.

(or I could use a Caseta switch instead of a dimmer, or I could just wire nut that circuit and put a pico remote over it…)

Thanks for your work putting this together. I have some shades on the way so I was going to have to figure out covers sooner or later.

I was under the impression that scenes already supported this but the functionality was not added to the app.
I am using automations for turning on multiple lights at one time because I have a mix of zwave micro switches and Caseta. Was really just hoping for a faster on/off for the Caseta because the time is quite annoying.

You can see in their programming guide that scenes can be programmed with transition times and delays. The telnet interface won’t let you program the device, so the phone app would have to do it. The only control the telnet interface has is something like “push a virtual button that activates a scene”.

If you command the lights individually from a HA scene, you can set transition times, but the limit seems to be 0.25s (still much faster than the normal “off”).

(Another thing I’ve looked into is “intercepting” commands at real switches to have HA do something different. Like having the “on” button go to an intermediate level, or seeing “off” and using a fast transition. Unfortunately the hub tells you after the transition. So you can act on it, but the initial command will already be complete.)

Do you have an example of this? I have tried to find this and failed.

Quick question: does this work with the Connected Bulb Remotes (NOT Pico remote)? I have a couple of the Connected Bulb remotes currently paired to a Wink Hub to control some ZWave switches via HASS, but I would love to purchase a Smart Bridge Pro if I can pair my remotes to that and use them in HASS.

No, those remotes are Zigbee,

Works fine with the Lutron Pico.

Lutron makes two identical looking remotes with 4 rectangular buttons. The ones you want for Caseta are PJ2-4B-GWH-L01.

Thanks for the info! Looks like I have the LZL-4B-WH-L01. I may look at picking up some picos, along with a pro hub and replacing my existing two.

This one works too:

You get a 5th button you could program for a scene or whatever automation you want.

1 Like