Lutron Caseta - Leap SSH integration

Hi all,

Looks like Lutron has changed the ssh key the lurton_caseta component uses. This is most disappointing as it required minimal configuration no additional files for both pro and non-pro bridges to work.

To move forward I recommend deprecating this component in favor of @jhn 's work with the component. I do not believe that the non-pro hub will work with HASS going forward. If any others have other suggestions let’s hear them.

How can we can tell if we have a certain hub? IMHO having that split makes HASS less friendly for consumers. I know my installs and every one I have helped setup use lutron so would likely just move on to something else which is a shame.

2 Likes

Is it as simple as updating to the new ssh key? Or is that a non-publicly released thing that will have to be reverse engineered every time it changes?

This is just a guess but I don’t think new key will be available to the public. If it was available its a simple change to update the key.

In order to keep HASS as stable as possible I would recommend that we use documented
APIs and integrations moving forward.

Understood on the “supported api” bit, but honestly, how many integrations are actually like that?
In my setup I have chamberlain, Honeywell, harmony remotes, Apple TVs. I’m pretty sure none of them use official APIs.
I would like to see a tag or a differentiator to highlight Addons and integrations which use official APIs - then if we are building a system for a family member we can steer towards those products for purchase

5 Likes

Thanks for the post. I awoke to find a dis-integrated caseta hub too this morning.

Is there anyway to stop lutron from updating the firmware and roll back firmware to restore local control? This pisses me off enough to make me dump lutron and move to Zwave which is a shame because IMHO, it’s nicely designed hardware with the pico remotes.

Homeseer Thread

Oct 10 06:27:09 DietPi hass[5286]: self._transport.auth_publickey(username, pkey))
Oct 10 06:27:09 DietPi hass[5286]: File "/root/homeassistant/lib/python3.4/site-packages/paramiko/transport.py", line 1447, in auth_publickey
Oct 10 06:27:09 DietPi hass[5286]: return self.auth_handler.wait_for_response(my_event)
Oct 10 06:27:09 DietPi hass[5286]: File "/root/homeassistant/lib/python3.4/site-packages/paramiko/auth_handler.py", line 223, in wait_for_response
Oct 10 06:27:09 DietPi hass[5286]: raise e
Oct 10 06:27:09 DietPi hass[5286]: paramiko.ssh_exception.AuthenticationException: Authentication failed.

It sounds like there was more than just a key change. From the Vera forums: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,35577.msg331343.html#msg331343

I suppose you are right about other components not using documented apis. Any time we do that we run the risk of something like what is happening with Lutron. It’s too bad that these corporations are unwilling to be more open with their products.

I came home from work to find my Caseta switches not working with HA… So, at this point there is no hope for it working again with the regular Smart bridge?

If not, if I get the Pro version it will still work? And if it does, is there a danger Lutron would do the same thing to it?

IMO, the Pro hubs through the telnet protocol will be safe otherwise there would be a lot of angry customers who paid for professional integration.

It’s so disappointing for such circumstances. Is PRO version working or it’s broken for the same reason?

As an owner of non-pro version hub, I would love to have Caseta integrated with HA. Considering that we don’t know how long it will take to reverse engineer the new protocol, it makes sense to switch to telnet protocol, at least the PRO hub owners won’t suffer from this issue.

But in case some genius reverse engineered the new protocol, will we add back the Leap integration? To be honest, it is very important to us (well, myself at least lol). We could have a configuration or automatically discover the model of hub.

The Pro version isn’t working in HASS right now either, as that was also using SSH. Though, it should be possible to get it switched to Telnet as someone had a component written that used the Telnet interface, but it’s not an official part of HASS right now.

I don’t want to go “full trump”(nod to tropic thunder) but maybe we can let our discontent be known through a Twitter campaign. I suspect that through the various third party platforms, there are a lot of caseta users that this effects, but I’m biased and could be completely wrong.

1 Like

Thanks for all your contributions, here is my dilemma:

A few months ago I moved away from not reliable lightning using Vera and z-wave to HA and Lutron Caseta. I was delighted as it just worked, no delay, easy automations, reliability. However, I did neglect to consider that all is depending on a company using proprietary technology, they switched something and everything in my house broke (automation wise). 100% my fault, I should have known better.

Here is my question: What to do from here on, what are your thoughts?

• Hoping for a wonder and stick it out until HA and Caseta can talk to each other again magically (IMHO not an option, as it won’t happen reliably).
  • Trying to rescue my automations using IFTTT, as kindly shown by a fellow poster (seems to be a lot of effort and not sure how reliable this will be in the long run).
  • Switching to a Caseta pro-bridge (hoping I can get it to work and hoping it to stay working in the future).
  • Adding a wink-hub to replace the caseta bridge (I’d rather not go that route as it adds another device similar to the Vera which I want to get rid off).
  • Cut my losses and sell my Lutron stuff on ebay?

In a way I am lucky as I was about to pull the trigger on purchasing Lutron Shades. I sure won’t do that unless Lutron provides some guarantees that it will work with the home automation software of my choice.

What are you planning to do? Any pointers?

Same situation here. We can pressure Lutron, but it’s really unlikely they’ll undo what they’ve done. They’ll cite security safety etc.

I am considering trying z wave with usb stick but again, am leery of protocol changes breaking something that is supposed to make life easier.

My thoughts lean towards looking for an ESP8266 Triac in wall dimmer like you can find on tindie. I think if we could do something similar to the crowdsourced in wall power supply with an MQTT driven dimmer, we’d be the masters of our own destiny.

Yep, I actually just bought the caseta stuff a few weeks ago because I needed to add a bunch of additional three way light switches and the pico remotes were easier than re-wiring my whole house. I bought the bundle with the smart bridge since it worked with HA. They rolled out the update literally the night before I went to set up HA the first time so it never worked for me.

Anyway, I think everyone here should absolutely reach out to Lutron and let them know they’d like integration with Home Assistant:
http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Service-Support/Pages/Assistance/ContactCustomerService.aspx

Can’t hurt, right?

I am willing to help pull in support for the ‘pro’ bridges. I doubt that the ‘non-pro’ bridges will ever work with HA and even if they do all of this that as happened will happen again.

Strategy:

1. Stop development on the leap ssh integration (pylutron-caaeta my project)
  2. Contribute to @thecynic (https://github.com/thecynic/pylutron ) and @jhn 's work and include it in HASS.

I cannot commit to a timeline as this time of year is very busy for me personally. If someone bets me to it… you are my hero. My house runs(or used to) on the lutron_caseta component. =(

Cheers

3 Likes

Support for Lutron pro bridges would be my preferred solution. How can I help (short of coding)?

Same here - how can I help? I have a Smart Bridge Pro 2 (as well as a rooted Wink hub if that’s of any help)…

+1 on help, can’t code but can look for some dev’r hours if someone wants to spell out the problem and testing peices needed to sort. Probably as much work to get it done as to document in that detail, I realize.