Lutron dimmer switches will not load after upgrade to 66.0 hassio

Answering question 1 - nothing in guaranteed, but the supposition is that since the ‘Pro’ version is meant for custom installers, removing telnet access(which is the difference) would be a major issue.

I am not positive about #2, and also I am curious what the process of switching to a ‘Pro’ is like (aka do you have to relearn/setup everything?)

I am also surprised there aren’t more complaints, but maybe the firmware just hasn’t hit everyone yet. I had a power glitch over the weekend that triggered a reboot.

I was doing some trivial editing of my automations. I decided to do a restart of hass and Lutron was gone. This leads me to believe that the problem isn’t seen until hass has to re-establish it’s communications with Lutron. That would be consistent with your scenario. Perhaps that is why it has not been noticed yet

I noticed in the description of the Caseta component the Pro2 is specifically called out. I don’t know if that is a real requirement. The older bridge can be had much cheaper than the Pro2

1 Like

Just did a reload myself, and I’m also seeing this same error. I’d really like to not have to buy yet another hub.

My understanding is that yes, you’ll need to remove your Lutron devices from the original hub, and then re-add them to the Smart Pro hub, then update your Configuration.yaml file.

Side note: it seems as if the Lutron Pro component doesn’t appear to have the python script / etc. requirements that the non-pro version has. Am I reading this correctly? Also, has it been confirmed that this is still working on the pro side of things in HA/HassIO?

I can only tell you why there is no uproar from my side:

When Lutron broke Caseta / HA connection sometime in October 2017 and my automations were down almost a month until great devs of the HA community came up with a workaround, I realized that this stuff can happen again at any time, whenever Lutron consciously or inadvertently makes some changes. I also talked to Lutron customer service at that time, they were polite but unhelpful. It became clear to me that Lutron as a company does not care the least about open source 3rd party integrations.

I started to replace Lutron switches and dimmers with z-wave enabled ones. My problem are areas in my house where no neutral is available in the switch box (old house), where Lutron is just more convenient to install.

However, I see no way forward using technology issued by Lutron or similar closed corporations for me.

Here is the added pain: In case there is a new Lutron bridge that would work with HA (maybe Pro2), I guess it would take hours and hours of my time to redo the Lutron stuff. First I’d need to get rid of the connections of each of my dimmers and switches to the existing bridge, one by one, then reconnect to the new bridge. Do similar steps to set up Google Home integration again. Rename the entities, go into all my automations and update IDs and what have you. I’d spend more time to administer home automation, instead of enjoying what technology can offer.

I’ve showed my HA based system to friends and colleagues, I really recommend HA to them. I also recommend to stick to standards like z-wave, and avoid proprietary stuff like Lutron.

The Pro2 does have an open API, they just charge a premium for that - they likely have partnership agreements subsidizing the cost for their mass market versions - and for the average person that makes sense.

I just wish they had an option to pay $40 to update to Pro or something.

Pro has a published API here: http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/040249.pdf It is unlikely to be broken as many 3rd parties (ie URC) rely on it.

Sounds good, I’d pay $40 for an upgrade of my existing bridge too, as long as I don’t have to disconnect - reconnect my dimmers and switches. I’ve already spent way too much time dealing with the Lutron stuff. Yes, when I bought the bridge I was not even aware that there is another “pro” version. Guess that one is on me.

Same - I looked to see if HA supported it, and didn’t realize it was supported, but unsupported by Lutron. I sent them an email asking if they had an upgrade program - but not holding my breath. Guess we may all be competing on eBay soon here :smiley:

Question for everyone here re: Pro. It seems as if the custom component doesn’t have any cert requirements like the standard one does. Am I reading this correctly?

Correct, it uses the published public ‘telnet’ based API instead of the TLS connection the non-custom component was using. The assumption was that since the Android app used the TLS connection, it would not change - but obviously something did change…

Thanks for this. I guess the small benefit of switching over (if you choose to do it) is that you don’t have to go through the python script cert process again (took me a couple of days to finally get it to work). So… I guess that’s a plus? (Hey… trying to look on the bright side of things. LOL)

1 Like

Here is the response I got… Fast support at least :slight_smile: Trying to figure out where I could use another switch and Pico since it is only $5 more to get another dimmer and pico vs. just buying the bridge!

Thank you for contacting Lutron Support! Lutron does not offer a program for upgrading, the Smart Bridge Pro would need to be purchased. To make this transition a little easier, here are some tips for removing your old bridge:

“Upgrading” or switching bridges

1.) Connect the old bridge and sign-in
2.) Delete all the devices associated to the bridge by going to Lights & Shades>More>Edit>Select the device>chose Delete Device
3.) Go to Settings>Account>Remove Account
4.) This will remove the account from the bridge and also send a message to the server to disassociate the account and the old bridge
5.) Plug-in the new bridge and in the Caseta app select “Get Started”
6.) Select “Create new account” and then you should be able to enter you old email address since it has been removed from your old bridge.
7.) The app should then start the normal setup flow procedure
8.) Sometimes there will be cached data that makes it look like there are 2 bridges on the network
9.) If this happens be sure to select the MAC address of the new bridge

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact Lutron Technical Support, anytime, 24/7.

Ahhh, forgot that going “Pro” brings Pico functionality. Still, it really sucks having to go through the delink-relink process.

Not sure what you mean by that - the standard can use Picos…
[EDIT] nevermind - I see that with the Pro/Telnet you can do other ‘cool stuff’ with the Picos (like make them control non-Lutron devices).

Broke down and ordered a Pro…

No luck on the Lutron site?

Let us know if the pro still works. thanks.

Let us know how it works for you. I am especially concerned about the time it would cost me to set up everything new with the Pro.

Care to share what you read about Pico “side” functionality. Would like to know more too.

Might break down and get Pro too, although I’m only at the start of my Caseta journey with 2 switches so far.

@carbuthn - no, the way it was working was not using any sort of supported API and I don’t see them helping. It is possible someone will find another way to do it with non-Pro, but I suspect Lutron will keep closing loopholes.
@cssbhome - will do. I have 22 devices including picos, so it will kill at least 45 mins just syncing and naming. Then probably the same to get HA set back up.

@glassbase - read it in several places, but it is in the instruction for the Pro component (see Pico ‘sensors’):

Basically you can use the Picos to control anything HA can control, which is pretty cool though I have 0 use cases for that right now :slight_smile:

I have moved my Lutron devices back onto my Wink hub.
I have hated the Wink hub since I first bought it (before I started using Home Assistant). My complaint was that it doesn’t seem to be able to keep track of the state of the devices it is controlling.
To my surprise it is doing a good job of notifying Home Assistant of state changes and Home Assistant is doing a good job of tracking states.
I may never go back to the Lutron hub.