Lutron dimmer switches will not load after upgrade to 66.0 hassio

I’m new to HA and have a lot of Lutron Caseta with standard hub.
I fully understand the reason why HA is trying to “keep up” with Lutron changes.
My question is more; is this happening often? (Lutron making changes that break HA method)
How often in a year usually, Lutron breaks HA method?
I’m asking because if this happens like several times per year, I won’t rely on it and need to make changes…
I’m not going to change the bridge, waste of money, no real advantage vs the standard. (if I wouldn’t have any hub, of course I would take the pro)
And looking at the Pro specs and compare to standard from Lutron web site, there is nothing that I saw about open API, etc… no how certain are we that Pro won’t break as well?

I really understand there is no guaranty of anything here, just trying to find the most stable and reliable path… (without wasting money for the same thing I already spent money on…)

@sfnetwork - well there isn’t really enough data, but they have broken it twice in the last year.

It may be months or never until someone figures out how to get the non-pro working again.

The ‘telnet’ access offered by the ‘Pro’ is used by other manufactures - like URC, and it is used by professional installers - so it is less likely to be broken, but agree not guaranteed.

I already ordered a Pro(will just sell the non-Pro on eBay) - but if I had read @harvey 's post above, I may have tried the Wink - which you get get pretty cheap.

Other alternative for those with just a couple of switches is to use IFTTT - you don’t get real states though.

1 Like

thanks, I understand.
So basically, for HA, the main difference between Pro and standard is that Pro allow direct telnet access to the hub?
If so, well that’s way more reliable integration on the long run I would say…

@sfnetwork - yes that is correct.

2 Likes

I need to look into the wink hub, I have no idea what it does. I guess it requires internet connection to call home?

Would you be so kind to tell us what you see as advantages / disadvantages using wink as replacement for the (non working) Lutron hub? Especially does it react fast / instantly when a z-wave motion sensor triggers and a Lutron dimmer switch should turn on?

Just chiming in to add to the broken chain. Has anyone found a workaround for the non-Pro hub yet? Might bite the bullet also and just purchase a pro…

Regarding the Wink hub:
I won’t repeat a list of it’s capabilities they are all on the components page. Suffice to say that it is a multipurpose hub that can handle Lutron component integration in place of the Lutron hub.
I am already making use of it to control several GE Link lights. In the past I had it controlling my Lutron dimmers, but it couldn’t keep the state of the devices displayed properly on it’s app. Fortunately when integrated with HA that isn’t an issue.
The Wink hub has a slight but noticeable (I would guess at 200ms) delay when switching a light on or off, but it is not objectionable.
The remotes and switches/dimmers remain functional even if the internet connection is down.
The hub has a quirk. It can’t be within several feet of any other wifi device.
The biggest advantage of using it… it works!

1 Like

Wink questions:

• It works with Pico remotes?
  • It syncs Lutron states when lights are manually changed?
  • It has equivalent dimming control?
  • It works with Alexa as well as the Lutron hub?

Thanks!

It works with Pico remotes?
Yes

It syncs Lutron states when lights are manually changed?
Yes. With qualifications. It reliably communicates the correct state to home assistant, but it often shows the wrong state on it’s own app. Consequently I don’t use it’s app for anything other than configuring the hub. I do all my automations in home assistant.

It has equivalent dimming control?
Yes.

It works with Alexa as well as the Lutron hub?
I chose not to have Alexa get information directly from the Wink hub. I use the Hue emulation of home assistant to pass all states from the Lutron devices to and from Alexa. That gives me full control of the dimmers.

2 Likes

Harvey, thanks a lot for your info regarding the Wink hub, I really appreciate that.

Seems I will have a closer look at the Wink Hub!

@harvey would you recommend the wink hub or the wink hub 2?

Slightly more but covers 5 ghz routers (moves hub off of 2.4 ghz band) and can be connected over ethernet.

Oh and thanks for the information.

I don’t have any experience with the Wink 2 hub. Having the ethernet interface would be a real plus for my setup.

I used IFTTT amd a script file something like this. You will have to setup all the appropriate Webhooks.

lutrontableon:
alias: “Turn ON Basement Table Lamp”
sequence:

• service: ifttt.trigger
    data: {“event”:“LutronTableLampOn”}

lutrontableoff:
alias: “Turn Off Basement Table Lamp”
sequence:

data: {“event”:“LutronTableLampOff”}
    lutrontable9:
    alias: “Dim to 90 % Basement Table Lamp”
    sequence:
    data: {“event”:“LutronTableLamp9”}
    lutrontable8:
    alias: “Dim to 80 % Basement Table Lamp”
    sequence:
    data: {“event”:“LutronTableLamp8”}
    lutrontable7:
    alias: “Dim to 70 % Basement Table Lamp”
    sequence:
    data: {“event”:“LutronTableLamp7”}
    lutrontable6:
    alias: “Dim to 60 % Basement Table Lamp”
    sequence:
    data: {“event”:“LutronTableLamp6”}
    lutrontable59:
    alias: “Dim to 50 % Basement Table Lamp”
    sequence:
    data: {“event”:“LutronTableLamp5”}
    lutrontable4:
    alias: “Dim to 40 % Basement Table Lamp”
    sequence:
    data: {“event”:“LutronTableLamp4”}
    lutrontable3:
    alias: “Dim to 30 % Basement Table Lamp”
    sequence:
    data: {“event”:“LutronTableLamp3”}
    lutrontable2:
    alias: “Dim to 20 % Basement Table Lamp”
    sequence:
    data: {“event”:“LutronTableLamp2”}
    lutrontable1:
    alias: “Dim to 10 % Basement Table Lamp”
    sequence:
    data: {“event”:“LutronTableLamp1”}

I just came here to say, that the my pro hub was still working with the standard HA Lutron Caseta component as of today! I just switched over to pro custom component mentioned above today because i wanted support for the picos and to add another hub…it’s working great!. Maybe the pro hub did not get the upgrade?

@czoog You are using the Lutron_Caseta configuration (certs, etc) with a pro hub?

I think only the non-pro hub is subject to the changes mentioned before.

I did something like this the last time it broke. You can see my post here:

I just pushed my latest version of the same to my github repo if you want to check it out:

I hope someone finds a solution to allow us to use Lutron natively again!

@GervaisdeM thanks for sharing. I have not decided how I want to proceed. I just retired and hate to waste money to buy a new hub.

Unfortunately I am outside the return window to send the lutron junk back to Amazon and it does not appear that Lutron is interested in providing any help.

So I have 3 dimmers and 4 pico remotes. The question is can I find a replacement dimmer and remotes ( 1 circuit with 4-way dimmer and 2 single dimmers) to replace the Lutron for about the same cost as the pro hub ($150).

I hate to take a beating twice from the same company even if I have to pay extra and start all over.

Does anyone know if someone is working on a solution for the basic hubs, it is beyond my current abilities to correct the problem. If a fix is in the works or possible I will continue to wait and pray.

Why not go for a Wink hub then? Should work and you can get one cheap.

@BendedArrow Yes, I was using the core caseta component with the certs on the pro hub. It was working fine. I only switched to @upsert 's custom component because i wanted pico support, and multiple bridge support. I like his custom component way better. It really should be a core component.

2 Likes

100% agree. Also, even compared to the “regular” Lutron setup, upsert’s setup was 100 times easier. No dealing with running python scripts, etc. Just put in your Lutron’s IP address, get the integration report, done.

2 Likes