Magic Mirror powered by Home Assistant and TileBoard

Magic Mirror powered by Home Assistant and TileBoard

https://imgur.com/gallery/L275JQ7

This is my Magic Mirror. It was a project that I wanted to do for a while and completed it about a year ago. It got switched off a few months ago as the UI broke and didn’t have time to get it working.

That brings me to last month where I had time to spend on getting it working again. For this project, I used Home Assistant with TileBoard.

Home Assistant is a big part of my daily routine what with the automations and smart home control.

Parts

The parts are pretty simple. You will need the following:

• An instance of Home Assistant with TileBoard installed
    • For this, my Home Assistant instance is on a dedicated server but ** my TileBoard theme is heavily styled** to get the layout I wanted (Read more below)
  • A RaspberryPi (with microSD card - 8GB atleast)
    • No specific model really, I use a 3B+ but the Pi is only being used for the web browser to render the tiles. Since there will be no user fancy animations, performance isn’t really an issue.
  • A spare monitor
    • I had an 22" LG monitor spare but you can use any monitor. I would recommend a USB output as this will ensure only 1 power cable is needed for the whole mirror.
  • The frame
    • I built the frame using wood from a local B&Q (Hardware Store in the UK). The frame is 2.25" deep which allows for the monitor sit along with the brackets to hang on the wall.
  • Mirrored Acrylic or Glass
    • I went with Acrylic but am shortly changing it out for Glass. The only reason being that the reflection is distored and looks like a funny circus mirror from some angles. You don’t need 2 way glass, don’t but that expensive stuff! Instead, buy a pane of glass (which is much cheaper), and use some 2 way mirror film on it.
    • For reference, here is where I bought my acrylic from CutPlasticSheeting’s website.

Tileboard

I am going to ask you nicely to follow the guide on the TileBoard repo. It’s well detailed on how to install it on your Home Assistant instance: https://github.com/resoai/TileBoard

RaspberryPi Prep

The RaspberryPi has a normal instance of Raspbian Buster installed. There are tons of tutorials on how to get this on an SD card but I will glance over it.

First, download the Rasbpian Buster (or newer) image from the RaspberryPi website.
Then, download and install BalenaEtcher from their website.

Next, insert your microSD card into your PC and open BalenaEtcher. The app is easy to use and you just need to select the image, check the right SD card is selected and click “Flash”. Once finished, don’t take the SD card out yet.

I presume that you’re going to use WiFi on this RaspberryPi. We can save some time by pre-configuring WiFi and enabling SSH before we boot the Pi up.

First, with the SD card still in your PC, open Windows Explorer, and navigate to the “Boot” partition of your SD card. In there, you will need to make a blank file named “ssh”. It can be quite tricky to do as Windows moans that you have to use an extension. To solve this, just open Powershell and type the following:

cd E:\ (change the letter E for whatever the letter of the drive is with the "boot" label)

Now type

New-Item ssh

This will have created a blank “ssh” file on the root of E: (or whatever you changed it to).

Now, go back to Windows Explorer and navigate to the root of the “boot” volume again. Make a file called wpa_supplicant.conf. Open that with a text editor. Put this in the contents of the file

network={
    ssid="YOUR_SSID"
    psk="YOUR_WIFI_PASSWORD"
    key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}

Save the file and put the SD card in the Pi. Turn on the Pi and wait a few minutes for it to boot for the first time. The red and green LEDs should be doing stuff, but if the green LED isn’t blinking at all for a while, something’s wrong.

RaspberryPi Setup

Now the Pi is ready to go, Go ahead and download Putty. It’s an SSH client that we can use to ssh into the Pi.

Once downloaded, open a connection to the host raspberrypi port 22. The username by default is pi with a password of raspberry.

We are going to want to install and change a couple of things on the Pi. We need it to first, open the browser on launch, hide the cursor and rotate the screen. Let’s do it!

First, you’ll need to update the Pi to ensure the packages are up to date and secure. Just run sudo apt-get update -y && sudo apt-get upgrade -y

Now lets rotate the display

I am presuming that you know the orientation of which you need the Pi to sit. In my example, my monitor is rotated 90 degrees anti-clockwise, so I had to tell the Pi to rotate the screen. To do this, you will need to edit the systems configuration file. First, open the file for editing: sudo nano /boot/config.txt

Go right to the bottom of the file and add the following lines

avoid_warnings=1
display_rotate=3

avoid_warnings will be required if you are using the USB power from a monitor or low power outlet. If not set to 1, it will show an undervoltage indicator over the display. It’s really not an issue since we’re not doing anything performance heavy.

display_rotate is set to 3 for me to suit my setup, but here are some examples of how it can be set

display_rotate=0 Normal  
display_rotate=1 90 degrees  
display_rotate=2 180 degrees  
**NOTE: You can rotate both the image and touch interface 180º by entering lcd_rotate=2 instead**  
display_rotate=3 270 degrees  
display_rotate=0x10000 horizontal flip  
display_rotate=0x20000 vertical flip

To save the file and exit, Press CTRL+X, then Y, then ENTER.

Now reboot with sudo reboot. When it is booted, take a look at what you’ve done and pat yourself on the back!

Browser

The Pi will need to auto-launch the browser and hide the cursor ready for our viewing pleasure. First we need to install some packages to help with that. Run:

sudo apt-get install unclutter

Next, we need to modify the startup script that the Pi runs on login. So run the following command:

sudo nano /home/pi/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart

In that file, paste the following:

point-rpi
@xset s off
@xset -dpms
@xset s noblank
@chromium-browser --incognito --kiosk http://hassio:8123/local/tileboard/index.html
@unclutter -idle 0

It is very important to change the 5th line to the URL of your TileBoard path. If you wanted to use a different UI for the mirror, here is where you would change the URL to go to.

Save that (CTRL+X, Y, ENTER) and reboot. Let it boot and watch your Pi now boot to the TileBoard page

Monitor Power Script

One last thing to do on the Pi is create 3 scripts, “power off”, “power on” and “power status”.

To do this, create these 3 files in the root of /home/pi/scripts/ directory
on.sh

tvservice -p
fbset -accel true

off.sh

fbset -accel false
tvservice -o

state.sh

state=$(tvservice -s | grep '0xa')

if [[ $state == *"state"* ]]
then
 echo 'on'
else
 echo 'off'
fi

Afterwards, run this command in the scripts folder also. This allows the scripts to be executed.

chmod +x ./*

Now, if you run sh off.sh it should turn the monitor off. sh on.sh should turn it on, and sh state.sh should return true/false depending on the state of the monitor.

Home Assistant Integration

Now, I am not going to go much in depth on the tutorial part of the HA integration but I will provide my configuration for reference.

So the way my mirror power works is by sending a SSH command to the Pi from HA. This runs a script on the RaspberryPi which tells the monitor to turn off via HDMI-CEC. I did this by creating a SSH keypair so that passwords won’t be an issue. There are many great, simple tutorials on how to do that if you check on Google.

Once you can SSH from your HA instance to your Pi, you can remotely trigger the SSH scripts we created earlier.

I then have a custom switch that uses the command line platform like this. This allows HA to query, and control my monitor.

- platform: command_line
  switches:
    magic_mirror_state:
      friendly_name: Magic Mirror Power
      command_on: 'ssh [email protected] -o UserKnownHostsFile=/dev/null -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no -i /config/keys/id_rsa "/home/pi/scripts/on.sh"'
      command_off: 'ssh [email protected] -o UserKnownHostsFile=/dev/null -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no -i /config/keys/id_rsa "/home/pi/scripts/off.sh"'
      command_state: 'ssh [email protected] -o UserKnownHostsFile=/dev/null -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no -i /config/keys/id_rsa "/home/pi/scripts/state.sh"'
      value_template: >-
         {{ value == 'on' }}
28 Likes

Would love to see a parts list of what you used for the mirror, a precis of how the rpi is configured and the homeassistant side code.

1 Like

Will do! I’ll update the post, keep an eye out for the update

3 Likes

Have you found yourself trying to tap to turn the lights on and off yet? I would definitely have a bunch of finger smudges on it :frowning:

It’s annoying that the functionality is there to use, but 22" touchscreen monitors are expensive and not worth a side project like this IMO

Awesome!
Did a magic mirror with home-assistant integration also a whole ago. If you want, you can check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5346v5H1Gk

That reminds me, I should polish it, and publish the source code soon…

If you have any questions, feel free to ask :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome! What touchscreen did you use?

You don’t need touchscreens monitors for touch functionality :wink:
I’ve used a normal (smaller than the frame) display behind the glass, and an IR frame on top of it. Both parts have been reasonably cheap.
The fingerprints on the mirror really suck though, don’t ask me why I did that

17 inch 16:10 (1920x1200) LCD screen off ebay
19 inch IR touch frame (GT-MIR19C 16:10; 2 touch points without glass) from alibaba - cost USD38

and a real, thick, 2-way-mirror in-between, the Pilkington Mirropane Chrome Spy (capacitive touchscrren on the screen wouldn’t have worked through the glass)

1 Like

There ia always the option of an android tablet behind the mirror.

An android tablet with the 2 way film directly on it could work good. Just a matter of finding on big enough

You don;'t need to have a screen behind the whole mirror.

Also you can have two screens - one non-touch to display info and one smaller android one for control.

1 Like

Fantastic project. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

I like it, in fact you could even use the VESA mount on the monitor for wall mounting

if anyone wants to use this with a separate lovelace view in panel mode remember to remove the --incognito tag from the line

@chromium-browser --incognito --kiosk http://hassio:8123/local/tileboard/index.html

to avoid logging in and setting the theme on every reboot.

Thanks for the premium guide!

Not a problem!

It’s worth noting that the mirror has been off for a while now. The UI I made for it felt stale after looking at it all the time. I changed it to just have the weather, date and a bit of text. However, after a powercut, my Pi SD card got corrupted and haven’t had the energy to get it back up and running.

I am glad people have found this helpful still.

yeah I can relate. That is why I set up mine for an operation without an SD card using an usb stick as storage.
This should increase lifetime a bit.

I’m having issues installing this on my home assistant raspberry pi.

From my understanding:

You create a dir called “www” inside /root/config/
Then put the TileBoard inside there so the location becomes: /root/config/www/TileBoard/
Then copy the config.js

But from there I’m stuck? Guessing I need to run the service somehow?

Can’t seem to find any instructions on this.

right now if I try to open the webpage I get: 404: Not Found

The instructions are in the first post.

Yeah done like the instructions.

But the instructions in: https://github.com/resoai/TileBoard
isn’t really super clear.
So I guess I’m doing something wrong…
Would be super nice if you could help me out!